Learning the Piano

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Richy Fingers, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Richy Fingers

Richy Fingers Full Back

Been wanting to learn the Piano since watching Great Balls of Fire (1989) - IMDb as a kid but never had the patience or time for it. I've decided to go for it at the ripe old age of 37, any beginners tips from the wise SMB musicians?

hank williams, matt228 and Simpsyla like this.
  2. sid84763

sid84763 Midfield

I'm left handed so my tinkly hand is on the wrong side so when I was a kid my mam bought me a two tier organ like Jess Yates and me being the **** I am hit the drink. I think piano players along with all musicians are great. I played the triangle, shaker, xylophone, cornet and organ and drums but never saw any through. Go for it, practice when all the shit is on the telly and mates want to drink during the week. It is phenomenal when the ivories are tinkled and the whole room is held. Good luck kid.

3. Kent_Mackem

Kent_Mackem Striker

It's all about practice and accepting that you will not see any improvement over a desired timescale. Practising every night for 20 or 30 minutes isnfaf better than the occasional blast if an hour or so. It is often not very motivating to never see any improvement. However if you look back over a year or even a few months of solid practice you'll see a huge improvement.

ouro and Richy Fingers like this.
  4. super noodles

super noodles Winger

Learn the organ first, then the piano will be a piece of piss.

5. bigmarlon

bigmarlon Midfield

This bloke has helped me A LOT. He sounds a bit like Neil from Art Attack and he breaks it down to a child's level anarl. I can read sheet music easily now thanks to Bill and it's just a case of practice, practice, practice. I can even play "Fur Elise" by Beethoven without looking at the sheet. :cool: Didn't think I'd be able to do that 2 months ago.

Beginners’ piano course – resources downloads

6. CatRyan

CatRyan Striker

7. Goat Eyes

Goat Eyes Striker

Organ. :lol:

tunstall birdman likes this.
  8. Dave Herbal

Dave Herbal Striker

Was impressed at Wembley when @Proffesor H Plum sat down at a piano in the hotel and started knocking out classical tunes. Skinhead Classico.

cornish mackem likes this.
  9. ARs biscuit

ARs biscuit Subs Bench

How difficult is it, honestly, to learn to play a piano?
    1. I have fingers like chipolartas, broken many times.
    2. No rhythm.
    3. And most importantly a bit thick.
    I would love to learn, any local patient teachers?

The Lonious Monk likes this.
  10. The Lonious Monk

The Lonious Monk Midfield

Maybe start with the tambourine, pal, and then progress from there
    ;)

Bishop Boy and T_Bone like this.
  11. bigmarlon

bigmarlon Midfield

Check out Bill Hilton marra (previous post). He de-mystifies it. I thought it would be a lot harder than it actually is. 2 months ago I couldn't tell you the difference between a crotchet and a treble clef. Now I'm reading sheet music like it's nowt.

I'm sure there are better teachers out there but he's not a bad place to start.

hank williams likes this.
  12. ARs biscuit

ARs biscuit Subs Bench

Thanks mate, i'm hurtling towards mid-life crises territory (50, i hope it's mid life) and i would like to learn something for me rather than always work related.

bigmarlon likes this.
  13. SandDancer

SandDancer Central Defender

I started last year using Yousician (an free app or pc program with guided lessons). Made fairly good progess, until i got too busy to continue.

bigmarlon likes this.
  14. yorkyexile

yorkyexile Striker

15. I've got a large vintage organ.:lol:

bigmarlon likes this.
  16. yorkyexile

yorkyexile Striker

if you can count you can play. its that simple

17. It's been well used but still in excellent condition.:lol:

yorkyexile likes this.
  18. ARs biscuit

ARs biscuit Subs Bench

M
    Mouth?

The Lonious Monk likes this.
  19. bigmarlon

bigmarlon Midfield

I heard it's a bit flat and takes a while to warm up.

20. No, actually one of these.

It's in my kitchen.

(That's not me in the video btw)