Learning the guitar

Its good advice but guitars in cases don't get played. The ones that are "out" tend to get picked up more and played.
Good point. I have my main three acoustics upstairs in hard cases and downstairs an old Hofner classical guitar I got from a car boot for a £10 which is just lying around. My mrs laughs that I've got decent guitars upstairs but pick up and play on old Hofner. I put new D'Addario strings on it the other month so the strings are probably worth more than the guitar.
This. Hard cases all the way. Hate wall hangers.

I have me Epi Les Paul and battle scarred classical guitar out on the stands for easy pickings.
As I said above I have my more expensive guitars in hard cases. Well, expensive by my standards but not that costly. Keeps them safe. I was thinking of getting a parlour guitar in the New Year to have downstairs

Last edited:
Ah.... the Blues. The great T-Bone Walker whose admirers included Chuck Berry, BB King and Jimi Hendrix. As Bob Dylan once said that the Blues is meant to cheer you up but too many today (in the 1960s) make it miserable and sad.

They call it stormy Monday
But Tuesday's just as bad
Lord, and Wednesday's worse
And Thursday's all so bad
The eagle flies on Friday
Saturday I go out to play
Sunday I go to church, yeah
Gonna kneel down and pray....

It's just my style of playing but love my rock and alternative music but blues is my go to for playing the guitar. Don't use many pedals mainly just the sound of driven tube amp is great to my ear!
Ah.... the Blues. The great T-Bone Walker whose admirers included Chuck Berry, BB King and Jimi Hendrix. As Bob Dylan once said that the Blues is meant to cheer you up but too many today (in the 1960s) make it miserable and sad.

It's just my style of playing but love my rock and alternative music but blues is my go to for playing the guitar. Don't use many pedals mainly just the sound of driven tube amp is great to my ear!

Good point. I have my main three acoustics upstairs in hard cases and downstairs an old Hofner classical guitar I got from a car boot for a £10 which is just lying around. My mrs laughs that I've got decent guitars upstairs but pick up and play on old Hofner. I put new D'Addario strings on it the other month so the strings are probably worth more than the guitar.

As I said above I have my more expensive guitars in hard cases. Well, expensive by my standards but not that costly. Keeps them safe. I was thinking of getting a parlour guitar in the New Year to have downstairs
I rotate my guitars as my lass (no) won't have them all out.

At the moment Martin on a stand and Guild in the hard case, next rotation and string change will happen soon.

It's nice to have a change and mix the Sitka Spuce and Mahogany sunburst .

My son prefers faster blues but he is good on electric. I like the faster blues and how it lead to rock and roll but I like the slow blues. Electric blues all began with T-Bone who pioneered the first amplified guitar in the 1930 or even earlier. I just love his tones but this is from 1966. So atmospheric especially in smoke filled bars. Roll up another, just like the other one....

Last edited:
Help needed please. My guitar fell over earlier and knocked it out of tune. No problem, I can just tune it in again. All strings are fine but the low E doesn’t sound right at all, it’s not ringing out. The GuitarTuna app is saying it’s in tune but E2 appears. Is that ok? What else should I be looking at?

Help needed please. My guitar fell over earlier and knocked it out of tune. No problem, I can just tune it in again. All strings are fine but the low E doesn’t sound right at all, it’s not ringing out. The GuitarTuna app is saying it’s in tune but E2 appears. Is that ok? What else should I be looking at?
Check the string is correctly seated at the saddle end and then the nut end - first. Then report back.

I'm sure he's brilliant, inspirational and all that, but his guitar sounds absolutely fucked and out of tune there.

E2 is standard, retuning might have deadened old strings, especially if the string is clear of all frets

Back