Learning the guitar

I love watching guitarists play live and how they play for the song. The studio is a different world and literally nothing like playing live.

I will watch most live performances from Steve Vai playing with Zappa to Steve Jones in the Pistols.

Last edited:

I love watching guitarists play live and how they play for the song. The studio is a different world and literally nothing like playing live.

I will watch most live performances from Steve Vai playing with Zappa to Steve Jones in the Pistols.
This. Went to my first gig since lock down on Friday. I forgot the joy of watching someone play the guitar live

Something worth considering is whether it's worth buying a hard case for your guitar. Even the cheaper ones are strong enough like Tourtech and cost £65-70 depending on size. They keep your guitar safe from knocks, drinks being spilt, getting knocked over, dust collecting, smoke staining and humidity, Personally, if it's a decent guitar I stick it in a case until you want to play it.
This. Hard cases all the way. Hate wall hangers.

I have me Epi Les Paul and battle scarred classical guitar out on the stands for easy pickings.
Tut, we need the yella uns.

Will keep an eye on this though, cheers. EDIT: Ahh they're there man. Well done that man.

Last edited:
This. Hard cases all the way. Hate wall hangers.

I have me Epi Les Paul and battle scarred classical guitar out on the stands for easy pickings.

Tut, we need the yella uns.

Will keep an eye on this though, cheers. EDIT: Ahh they're there man. Well done that man.
Aye should have posted 10 gauge as well ,i'm a Daddario man myself so i dont know whether to give these ernie balls a shot .

10's

9's

Aye should have posted 10 gauge as well ,i'm a Daddario man myself so i dont know whether to give these ernie balls a shot .

10's

9's
Ernie's all the way for me. Always have. Don't like D'Addario - ower slippy.

Need to keep an eye out for some Elixirs for me acoustic. Not that I really need to change 'em at the minute like as they last forever.

Last edited:
What guitar are you using? Have you had it set up? I see hundreds of people trying to learn on guitars where for example the action (height between strings and fretboard) is way too high. If you haven’t already, take it in to a shop or repair shop and get it set up. Will make things a whole lot easier. Let me know where you’re based and I’ll recommend some people if you want. Oh yes, and practice, practice, practice. All of a sudden it will come together, but can take time. Also worth getting a few lessons off someone face to face, then looking at online courses..
Mainly, enjoy it! It should be fun!
I would add to that, if you really think that you want to learn guitar you would do well to invest in an instrument that you know is decent quality. Nowt worse than banging away on a guitar that is a piece of shit, with frets buzzing and the action all over the place and strings going out of tune all the time. You need to respect your instrument and enjoy using it.

Try 10s first.

And you may get away with leaving the guitar as it is.

Try it - see how it feels for your hands and ears.

Report back
Update...so I ordered a set of 10s for my acoustic. I even changed the strings myself after a few watches of YouTube vids etc. (the 1st and 2nd strings are a bit trickier than the others!!). And I've got to say what a great difference...feels so much more playable for me. Easier on barre chords / bends / fingers!! Not a massive difference tone wise...I only play in the house so not worried about any loss of volume either. Cheers for the advice...so pleased I switched from 12s to 10s!! 👍

Update...so I ordered a set of 10s for my acoustic. I even changed the strings myself after a few watches of YouTube vids etc. (the 1st and 2nd strings are a bit trickier than the others!!). And I've got to say what a great difference...feels so much more playable for me. Easier on barre chords / bends / fingers!! Not a massive difference tone wise...I only play in the house so not worried about any loss of volume either. Cheers for the advice...so pleased I switched from 12s to 10s!! 👍
It is that like. :lol:

When your fingers get stronger you might find yourself experimenting with heavier gauge strings. I tend to have 12s on my acoustic and just put 13s on my reso.

Glad it’s worked out for you.

Don’t worry about thick strings and “tone”

Guitar players are obsessed by it and no one else cares.

And some of the best players with killer tone use thin stings.

There is a theory that it’s more about volume than string gauge anyway.

Just play!!!

@dafunk2

Last edited:
Not easy is it? Just startedlearning at 43 and struggling a bit with it, my decrepit old fingers aren’t helping but gonna keep plugging away each day till I can make some kind of tune out of the bastard, if the wife doesn’t kill me first.

Any tips for beginners?
I've been playing for 30 years and I would suggest getting a few face to face lessons to help with positioning of your hands and fingers. And it all depends what you want to play also? Do you just want to play songs or be the next SRV? I mostly play blues as I've never been very good or had interest in the lead stuff. The interwebs is fantastic for different songs and some good teachers on YouTube but I think face to face is the way to go. Do about 10 lessons and you will be so much further on than sitting watching a YouTube video. But good luck it's a great hobby but if you get hooked it's going to cost you a fortune on gear and guitars lol

I've been playing for 30 years and I would suggest getting a few face to face lessons to help with positioning of your hands and fingers. And it all depends what you want to play also? Do you just want to play songs or be the next SRV? I mostly play blues as I've never been very good or had interest in the lead stuff. The interwebs is fantastic for different songs and some good teachers on YouTube but I think face to face is the way to go. Do about 10 lessons and you will be so much further on than sitting watching a YouTube video. But good luck it's a great hobby but if you get hooked it's going to cost you a fortune on gear and guitars lol
Agree I had lessons when I started. Haven't played for years till I pick it up again in the last few weeks but a lot of the good habits that my teacher put into me are still there such as good thumb position, finding an anchor finger between chords, how to mute strings etc

My positive grid spark amp arrived this afternoon and first impressions are it is absolutely awesome. Need to up my game now so I can utilise all of the tones in the tone cloud for their intended purpose. Currently pretending I’m Angus Young doing my best Highway To He’ll rendition 🤣

Ah.... the Blues. The great T-Bone Walker whose admirers included Chuck Berry, BB King and Jimi Hendrix. As Bob Dylan once said that the Blues is meant to cheer you up but too many today (in the 1960s) make it miserable and sad.

They call it stormy Monday
But Tuesday's just as bad
They call it stormy Monday
But Tuesday's just as bad
Lord, and Wednesday's worse
And Thursday's all so bad
The eagle flies on Friday
Saturday I go out to play
The eagle flies on Friday
Saturday I go out to play
Sunday I go to church, yeah
Gonna kneel down and pray....