Learning the guitar

Not easy is it? Just startedlearning at 43 and struggling a bit with it, my decrepit old fingers aren’t helping but gonna keep plugging away each day till I can make some kind of tune out of the bastard, if the wife doesn’t kill me first.

Any tips for beginners?
Get a yukelele spelt wrang.

Currently trying again myself. Bought my first guitar about 18 years ago and tried a few times to learn it but I was quite impatient and gave up. Going back to those days I used to choose a song and try and learn to play it. That was completely wrong.

As mentioned above YouTube (as is the case with anything these days) seems to have everything you need. I’m currently following a channel called Andy Guitar. He instructs to learn the easy chords first then progress. Once you’ve learned a chord or two there are songs that go with those chords for you to strum along to at a basic level.

I’m finding this way much better and I feel like I’m making more progress than I ever did before.

It’s all out there on YouTube.
If you’re starting from scratch JustinGuitar is a great resource.
I’m using marty Schwartz YouTube channel at the minute but I’m a
Currently trying again myself. Bought my first guitar about 18 years ago and tried a few times to learn it but I was quite impatient and gave up. Going back to those days I used to choose a song and try and learn to play it. That was completely wrong.

As mentioned above YouTube (as is the case with anything these days) seems to have everything you need. I’m currently following a channel called Andy Guitar. He instructs to learn the easy chords first then progress. Once you’ve learned a chord or two there are songs that go with those chords for you to strum along to at a basic level.

I’m finding this way much better and I feel like I’m making more progress than I ever did before.
I’ve got about 5 chords learned but hard to remember their names, it’s the strumming rhythm I’m finding hardest but can tell the difference from a few days ago so hopefully it will come.
Do I need a capo?

Tried years ago. All I ever managed was a Nirvana song. Mate at the time was an amazing guitarist. Used to spend hours at his house while he was whizzing away playing solos and I could only manage the notes to Come as You Are.

As an aside, my kids have started violin lessons at school. Surely the guitar is way more useful and versatile

Have it sat behind you or nearby to pick up and noodle on when you're sat doing nowt.
Learn open chord versions of songs you know and like.
Don't get hung up on strumming patterns for now.

I’m using marty Schwartz YouTube channel at the minute but I’m a spaz.

I’ve got about 5 chords learned but hard to remember their names, it’s the strumming rhythm I’m finding hardest but can tell the difference from a few days ago so hopefully it will come.
Do I need a capo?
Strumming patterns aren’t important right now. Learn how to change those chords seamlessly. Even the tempo isn’t important until you’ve nailed the changes. Once the changes are seamless, build tempo.

You don’t need a capo but one can come in handy. They’re only a few quid so may as well pick one up.

I’m also finding that picking it up for 20 or 30 minutes a few times a day is better than playing for 2 hours on a particular day of the week.

Strumming patterns aren’t important right now. Learn how to change those chords seamlessly. Even the tempo isn’t important until you’ve nailed the changes. Once the changes are seamless, build tempo.

You don’t need a capo but one can come in handy. They’re only a few quid so may as well pick one up.

I’m also finding that picking it up for 20 or 30 minutes a few times a day is better than playing for 2 hours on a particular day of the week.
All of this.

Add in, if you get stuck on a chord or a chord change, put the guitar down a bit.
Overnight your brain will commit it to muscle memory a bit and the next day will be easier. Probably nail it first time.

Do I need a capo?
Think Marty Schwartz & JustinGuitar are similar set ups. I was giving it a go years ago & the same as you, the rhythm doesn’t come naturally to me. Always thought it’d be the chords. It all went wrong when the bairn was born because I had to not make noise & shit. Second one has just turned two & he just walks up to me, pulls the strings or takes the plectrum off me & posts it in the body.

I’ll play more as they get older & stop being twats.

Do I need a capo?
1 accept it’s a lifelong journey

2 you only need a capo if you think you want to sing in different keys but if you do get a G7 or a Shubb

3. THIS IS IMPORTANT

PLAY AND PRACTICE WITH A METRONOME.

The two things you must be is in tune and in time . Get these two things right at the beginning and they will serve you well

Good luck and perhaps we might get to hear you one day 👍

@Joe Public

Back