Learning the guitar

• Thread starter Deleted member 37772
  • Start date

Muting with ya thumb? Ya don't need to touch the string much to mute it.

There's an A in the D chord anyway, so if the A string itself rings out a bit it doesn't really make any odds anyway.
And thinking about it a little more, the same is true of D/F# to slightly lesser extent.

D chord:

E------2 (F#)-------------
B------3 (D)------------
G------2 (A)-------------
D(root)0------------------

D/A:

B------3 (D)------------
D -----0------------------
A(root)o-----------------

D/F#:

B------3 (D)------------
D -----0------------------
A------0-- (or x as optional)
E------2 (F#)(root)------------

I had a lesson yesterday. He advocated playing all the strings but muting but I'm finding it difficult. Had a quick look on YouTube and most things I can find seem to suggest rolling the wrist and missing the x strings. Suppose that will come when my right hand becomes more accurate.
You will gain accuracy and miss those 'x' strings. While the A note is part of the D major chord you should aim not to hit the low A - no way should you try and mute it with your thumb it's far too impractical and just not necessary. But if you do hit it it's not the end of the world.

You will gain accuracy and miss those 'x' strings. While the A note is part of the D major chord you should aim not to hit the low A - no way should you try and mute it with your thumb it's far too impractical and just not necessary. But if you do hit it it's not the end of the world.
Exactly, I've been playing over 20 years and its best to play loose and dont worry about mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about 3 months in. It's worryingly slow progress.

Been playing 14 years and I'm still shit

I had a lesson yesterday. He advocated playing all the strings but muting but I'm finding it difficult. Had a quick look on YouTube and most things I can find seem to suggest rolling the wrist and missing the x strings. Suppose that will come when my right hand becomes more accurate.

YouTube Pebber brown. Thank me later...

Last edited:
How often do you practice would you say?

I have the guitar next to where I sit. The bairn isn't at home now, so pick it up a lot. I go through phases of try new stuff. I'm not very good but I enjoy it:lol:

A lot of them piss me off. They sit there talking shite for ages without even doing owt with the guitar. Just get on with it FFS.

Justin and Marty Schwartz are the only two I watch. seemed ideal for the beginner.

I have the guitar next to where I sit. The bairn isn't at home now, so pick it up a lot. I go through phases of try new stuff. I'm not very good but I enjoy it:lol:

Justin and Marty Schwartz are the only two I watch. seemed ideal for the beginner.
Probably are more suited to beginners to be fair, but they need to drop all the bollocks for the more advanced stuff.

Sorry but I can't agree with muting not being a widely used and popular technique. Can't imagine Pete Townsend or someone just hitting the four strings of a D chord.

Sorry but I can't agree with muting not being a widely used and popular technique. Can't imagine Pete Townsend or someone just hitting the four strings of a D chord.
muting is a widely used technique and I use it, I only said muting the A string with your thumb is impractical for a D major chord.

I think you misunderstood him mate.

D C G

This song made me a good strummer, especially being good at playing the D chord properly. The chorus..

Last edited by a moderator:
When you play a chord where the low E string and sometimes the A staring aren't meant to be strummed how do you do it?

Mute?
Strum only the right strings?
A combination of the two?

Tricky missing the strings but I may have just discovered why my guitar always sounds out of tune. :lol:

If its the E then I mute it with my firest finget so - A Bar chord the top of my finger leans on the E

This thread makes me want to pick up my guitar.
Pick it up

Justin, Marty, Guitar Sage (short lessons) and Guitar Zoom isnt bad

Last edited:

Back