Learning the guitar

• Thread starter Deleted member 37772
  • Start date
:lol:

Keep practicing practicing practicing and more practicing mate. Get control of that strumming hand

I had a lesson yesterday. He advocated playing all the strings but muting but I'm finding it difficult. Had a quick look on YouTube and most things I can find seem to suggest rolling the wrist and missing the x strings. Suppose that will come when my right hand becomes more accurate.

I had a lesson yesterday. He advocated playing all the strings but muting but I'm finding it difficult. Had a quick look on YouTube and most things I can find seem to suggest rolling the wrist and missing the x strings. Suppose that will come when my right hand becomes more accurate.
It will, you just need to keep practicing!
Once the muscle memory comes you'll be deadly accurate.
Btw what sort of chords are you trying to play where the tutor is telling you to mute strings?

My strumming is a little hesitant in places where I struggle to find the rhythm. He told me to mute the strings and just play it confidently. I.e. Twat them all.

There's the Larrivee dropped off to get setup. Having an afternoon on the couch practising strumming. I should be studying but cba.

What man action have you got on acoustic? This Larrivee is now down to 1.75mm. He's a good lad Russell. Would highly recommend him if anyone needs work or a set up or a repair. Really sound bloke.

When you play a chord where the low E string and sometimes the A staring aren't meant to be strummed how do you do it?

Mute?
Strum only the right strings?
A combination of the two?

Tricky missing the strings but I may have just discovered why my guitar always sounds out of tune. :lol:

Mute them with your thumb.

Strange he's getting you to mute strings on open chords like those I must say.

Muting is the method I've always used, nigh on impossible to just hit the four strings if you're standing up and playing, say, a D chord. Especially if you're singing and not looking at the guitar.

Last edited:
Do you mute both strings on the D chord? I found it quite tough to reach the A string while still muting Low E. I tend to put too much pressure on E so it still rings.

Do you mute both strings on the D chord? I found it quite tough to reach the A string while still muting Low E. I tend to put too much pressure on E so it still rings.

Yeah, I do. Just comes with practice I suppose. Do it without even thinking about it

Muting with ya thumb? Ya don't need to touch the string much to mute it.

There's an A in the D chord anyway, so if the A string itself rings out a bit it doesn't really make any odds anyway.

Last edited:

Back