Learning Spanish

Been thinking about this for a while now and figured there's no time like the present, so I'm going to give it a go.

What is the best way to learn? I've looked at courses but feel that I'd like to learn the basics first before I commit financially, it's looking like circa 200 quid for a short course here in London. I reckon I'd get more out of that if I at least had a basic grasp of grammar and the like.

Aside from Duolingo (still not convinced this is any good), are there other cheap or free ways to go through the basics online?

Any good tips? Places to begin? Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Bairn does it at school, suppose it's down to the fact that more people are going on holiday there.

We did Latin, German and French..................................

I've started learning Spanish a couple months ago and slowly getting to grips with it. I've also got to level B2 in another language after a few years. I'd recommend a one-to-one tutor rather than in a group, and Skype can work well and be cheaper. Duolingo has its place for vocabulary, but I prefer Memrise. Coffee Time Spanish is a great podcast as well.

I use Duolingo and love it. Not for Spanish mind.

Find it useful having the app on my phone and being able to do 10 mins here and there without any excuses.

Won't get 2 jugs of Sangria for that down there

Also, I recommend Duolingo. Mate of mine learned Italian on it by doing a bit every night for about 4 months. Now he lives there.

Duolingo is quality. Last time I was in the big city I spotted a Danish bakery thanks to learning the Danish word for bread on DuoLingo.

It’s brød FYI.

Duolingo is quality. Last time I was in the big city I spotted a Danish bakery thanks to learning the Danish word for bread on DuoLingo.

It’s brød FYI.
Not being funny mate but did you really need Duolingo for that.

A shop that smells like freshly baked goods, probably had cakes on display. Name was Brod.... nearly bread :lol:

Try your local library.

I started learning Spanish a few years ago but gave up as it just didn't interest me enough. I should have choose Welsh as that is a language that interests me. My advice is only learn a language if you have a reason to.

Woman who made the hot breakfasts in Cuba taught me.

Every day we had a 5 minute chat while she was making my breakfast.

By the time I came back I could order tortilla con jamón, queso y pimientos with the best of 'em.

Back