1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learner drivers on motorways from next year

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Frijj, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Dave Herbal

Dave Herbal Striker

I asked our lass to drive the massive 80 miles to Appleby to meet us last week and she refused cos she's never really driven outside of Sunderland and has no experience of fast duals or motorway. She's been driving 20 years.

But that's blatantly obvious, isn't it? If you don't know that instinctively then you shouldn't be driving.

Some fucking lunatics on the North York Moors last night mind. I was doing 50 odd in a 60 and people were getting up my are and doing risky overtakes all the way to Whitby.
    Some of those hills down are 25 mph low gear jobs, the road was greasy, and people were still overtaking on the way down.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Jap Stammer likes this.
  2. Bishop Boy

Bishop Boy Winger

To me it was but seeing others on the road it doesn't seem like many know it.

3. Dave Herbal

Dave Herbal Striker

I wasn't meaning you.

Bishop Boy likes this.
  4. Bishop Boy

Bishop Boy Winger

That's ok then

5. Banks

Banks Striker

I was doing about 15mph braking wasnt going to solve the problem. Everyone assuming im doing about 50. I had no room I couldnt create room but the bad driver tried to pull in front. Hence the emergency brake.

6. Sossidge Rerls

Sossidge Rerls Central Defender

This too, and you usually get a load of abuse off them if you can't move across to let them in.

7. monkeytassle

monkeytassle Striker

Isn't an emergency brake from 15mph to zero just braking.

8. Jap Stammer

Jap Stammer Full Back

Admittedly a long time ago, but the way it was described to me by my instructor is that sliproads are essentially angled T-junctions and you should only cross the dotted line when it's safe to do so.

You wouldn't pull straight out of a T-junction onto the main carriageway, expecting people to slow down to make way for you, so you shouldn't do it on a dual-carriageway or motorway unless you are absolutely sure it's safe to do so. If people are in a position to make space to let you on, then fair enough, but you should never, ever, try to force your way on.

Butcher's Coat, Monkey and Bishop Boy like this.
  9. FootballFan

FootballFan Striker

Seem to remember when I was a learner all those years back I hopped onto a motorway by mistake.

cant see the issue tbh, just drive faster, driving on a motorway is miles easier than in congested traffic.

Bishop Boy likes this.
  10. Banks

Banks Striker

:lol:

An emergency break is breaking to prevent a crash due to an unforseen incident.

You dont have to be doing 40mph for it to be an emergency.

11. TDalt

TDalt Central Defender

Don't get me started about that shithole. Fucking cyclists going up and down the fucker today doing 25mph, some sort of race apparently, like an organised one. Saw three near crashes and one of the ***** on a bike was in the middle of the fucking inside lane. Surely illegal? Disgusting, hope every single biker crashed into a fucking brick wall.

12. Bishop Boy

Bishop Boy Winger

Not sure it is illegal however it is very very stupid

13. kossoff

kossoff Midfield

I believe bicycles are allowed on A roads, just not motorways. Could be wrong like.

14. Frijj

Frijj Striker Contributor

There are some local exceptions

A19 northbound just south of boro has a sign saying no cyclists I believe

Kevsgreat likes this.
  15. monkeytassle

monkeytassle Striker

There's a time trial route down the a19

16. next time you pass wh smiths pop in and buy a copy of the highway code.

17. Frijj

Frijj Striker Contributor

In the real world of driving the Highway Code isn't followed to the letter though tbf

18. perhaps not but it's a good place to start. i don't think 'the real world of driving' excuse would stand up if there's an accident.

19. monkeytassle

monkeytassle Striker

You drive an hgv and attempt 6 mile overtakes uphill mate.

humbug likes this.
  20. i'm a knight of the road i'll have you know :D