1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learner drivers on motorways from next year

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Frijj, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Frijj

Frijj Striker Contributor

Nothing worse than city driving. I'd rather drive a 60mph country road in the snow.

2. VXi

VXi Full Back

So really what you are doing here is blaming everyone but yourself. Ignoring everything I've suggested - forward planning and anticipation.

3. Banks

Banks Striker

Please explain how I forward plan in this situation then genius:

7.30am Tuesday after a bank holiday weekend. Minimal space in front of me right lane full, car approaching at 60mph?

4. kossoff

kossoff Midfield

I used to have a Micra. You get tossers going up the slip roads (on inclines ) to join, they're doing fucking 35 mph in their much more powerful cars. You get stuck behind one of those ***** and you're fucked when you join the motorway. Struggling along at like 50mph for the next minute or so. Kernts.

Frijj likes this.
  5. foggy

foggy Winger

First thing I did the day I passed my test. Outside lane within a few minutes, cars in my way not long after...

6. Frijj

Oh aye

I can't wait for my next car. Minimum 2 litre

I'll write it off within a month no doubt

kossoff likes this.
  7. monkeytassle

monkeytassle Striker

Foot off accelerator.

8. DLT

DLT Full Back

So you can see the car approaching at 60mph? Apply a bit of progressive braking and create a gap. It isn't hard. The other driver is a tit but having an attitude of the law say X therefore I'm right is only going to help cause accidents. React to the situation and take other road users bad driving in to account.

9. VXi

VXi Full Back

So you freely admit you drive too close to the vehicle in front? Here endeth the lesson.

ravydavygravy likes this.
  10. kossoff

kossoff Midfield

Braking on a motorway us unnecessary and dangerous in itself most of the time. Just ease of the accelerator.

11. sketchy

sketchy Midfield

surely braking is better so the car behind can see the brake lights and know you are slowing down?

12. monkeytassle

monkeytassle Striker

Nah because if anyone sees a red light they immediately whack the anchors on and cause a wave of people stopping.

Bishop Boy, Frijj and kossoff like this.
  13. DLT

DLT Full Back

Fair point that.

14. sketchy

sketchy Midfield

fair point.

15. Tidied yer poem for yer m8.

Butcher's Coat likes this.
  16. lenshack

lenshack Winger

Best compromise is a swift dab on the brake pedal as a gentle warning.

theinediblebulk likes this.
  17. This is what I was told to do on my advanced course like. As for slowing down or moving over to let someone join from a slip road, if it's safe to do so I will. But it isn't my responsibility for another driver to enter a motorway safely, it's theirs. Got told that on my advanced as well.

Butcher's Coat likes this.
  18. Frijj

True that MT.

Causes huge problems that does

19. Bishop Boy

Bishop Boy Winger

One thing my instructor beat into me when learning was 'due regard' if you are entering a road you should not cause someone else to have to accommodate you by slowing down or anything else. We did some training on dual carriageways and the main thing I learnt was to match speed with the existing traffic.

20. In the 1970s I was a passenger in a car and the driver missed the turning on the a1 somewhere in County Durham. They reversed back down the slip road and rejoined the main carriageway.

Another time our roof rack fell off and we were collecting suitcases off the M1.

Yet another time it was foggy and we missed the M18 turn off so the driver parked up on a verge of the roundabout and sent my brother out of the car to look for the lane we wanted.

The driver's identity remains confidential.