Learner drivers on motorways from next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

:lol:

Couldn't be more wrong. A few questions for you:

How many drivers leave the legal safe stopping distance on a motorway? id say 10% if that

How many drivers approach slip roads at a speed higher than the current speed of the motorway?

I had to emergency stop as drivers incorrectly judge distances, they drive down sliproads doing 80-90 mph and try to "beat" current traffic on the road. A car travelling at a high speed cant enter a motorway safely, so you anticipate the car like follows the law and stops? When that car ignores the rules of the road things like emergency stops happen.

The replys im getting to this just shows im bang on the money here. Not one person has given a safe lawful answer. Each answer ignores the law of the road show its maybe those posters who shouldn't have a license.
So really what you are doing here is blaming everyone but yourself. Ignoring everything I've suggested - forward planning and anticipation.

So really what you are doing here is blaming everyone but yourself. Ignoring everything I've suggested - forward planning and anticipation.

Please explain how I forward plan in this situation then genius:

7.30am Tuesday after a bank holiday weekend. Minimal space in front of me right lane full, car approaching at 60mph?

Mine is like shit off a stick the first 20mph

Weak as piss after that
I used to have a Micra. You get tossers going up the slip roads (on inclines ) to join, they're doing f***ing 35 mph in their much more powerful cars. You get stuck behind one of those ***** and you're fucked when you join the motorway. Struggling along at like 50mph for the next minute or so. Kernts.

First thing I did the day I passed my test. Outside lane within a few minutes, cars in my way not long after...

I used to have a Micra. You get tossers going up the slip roads (on inclines ) to join, they're doing f***ing 35 mph in their much more powerful cars. You get stuck behind one of those ***** and you're fucked when you join the motorway. Struggling along at like 50mph for the next minute or so. Kernts.

Oh aye

I can't wait for my next car. Minimum 2 litre

I'll write it off within a month no doubt

7.30am Tuesday after a bank holiday weekend. Minimal space in front of me right lane full, car approaching at 60mph?

So you can see the car approaching at 60mph? Apply a bit of progressive braking and create a gap. It isn't hard. The other driver is a tit but having an attitude of the law say X therefore I'm right is only going to help cause accidents. React to the situation and take other road users bad driving in to account.

So you freely admit you drive too close to the vehicle in front? Here endeth the lesson.

So you can see the car approaching at 60mph? Apply a bit of progressive braking and create a gap. It isn't hard. The other driver is a tit but having an attitude of the law say X therefore I'm right is only going to help cause accidents. React to the situation and take other road users bad driving in to account.
Braking on a motorway us unnecessary and dangerous in itself most of the time. Just ease of the accelerator.

Best compromise is a swift dab on the brake pedal as a gentle warning.

This is what I was told to do on my advanced course like. As for slowing down or moving over to let someone join from a slip road, if it's safe to do so I will. But it isn't my responsibility for another driver to enter a motorway safely, it's theirs. Got told that on my advanced as well.

One thing my instructor beat into me when learning was 'due regard' if you are entering a road you should not cause someone else to have to accommodate you by slowing down or anything else. We did some training on dual carriageways and the main thing I learnt was to match speed with the existing traffic.

When I took my test, I was asked how I'd turn right on a Motorway.
The very first stretch in the country,the M6 Preston by pass had only just opened, but I was aware of the system.

A few weeks later I was driving up that same stretch, hardly another car in sight and so relaxed I missed my turn off.
I checked ahead and behind, not a single vehicle in sight as far as the eye could see, then I did a U turn over the central reservation,no crash barriers then, and drove back down the opposite side to my turn off.

How times have changed.
In the 1970s I was a passenger in a car and the driver missed the turning on the a1 somewhere in County Durham. They reversed back down the slip road and rejoined the main carriageway.

Another time our roof rack fell off and we were collecting suitcases off the M1.

Yet another time it was foggy and we missed the M18 turn off so the driver parked up on a verge of the roundabout and sent my brother out of the car to look for the lane we wanted.

The driver's identity remains confidential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back