laurel & hardy on tv on a saturday morning, joy

I bought that for my Dad. He used to laugh like a drain when we were kids and the Laurel & Hardy, Buster Keaton, Keystone Cops etc films came on, bless him.

Since bought it again for me and we watched them last summer out in France, some cracking stuff they did.
Great memories of him giving it the full on belly laugh watching them. Was often more entertaining than L&H

One of my proudest possessions. A 21 disc set of Laurel & Hardy bought in an HMV sale about 10 years ago.. I love them me.

Logon or register to see this image

An absolute bargain.
Got that for my Uncle a few years ago. Like you say, an absolute bargain. Used to love watching those when I was a kid with my Grandad.

There's a great documentary on sky to download, didn't realise Stan was such a womaniser.
I think I may have seen that. I was shocked at how thin Hardy was in the last couple of years of his life.

Just watched Tit for Tat on Talking Pictures. Absolutely love them. Grew up watching them and fondly remember one summer holiday in the early 90s when they showed loads of their films on BBC2 every morning. My dad taped them and I watched them over and over.

As a kid I loved the lines and clowning. As I grew older I came to appreciate the more subtle pieces of performance and characterisation, such as Hardy’s look to the camera, the hand movements, the tiny details of intonation. It’s a brilliant comic performance. Stan was the brains behind everything, but Hardy’s performance is the thing that elevates everything onto another level. No movement is ever mundane - he performs it with a flourish.

The natural progression with a new love of something is to indulge curiosity, and I read a lot about them. Review books, biographies, anything I could get my hands on. They were a comfort to watch when times were bad. Even the background music is perfect. I tracked down versions of Marvin Hatley and Leroy Shield tunes recorded by Ronnie Hazlehurst and the Beau Hunks because I genuinely enjoyed listening to them, and they raised a smile as I remembered the scenes in which they were played.

I just never get bored of their films. There were a few duds, as is inevitable with the production line mentality of studios churning them out at the time, and the Fox films are awful, but the 1927-40 period is a treasure trove of two creative talents at the peak of their game, and no double act has ever come close to them on screen.

Just watched Tit for Tat on Talking Pictures. Absolutely love them. Grew up watching them and fondly remember one summer holiday in the early 90s when they showed loads of their films on BBC2 every morning. My dad taped them and I watched them over and over.

As a kid I loved the lines and clowning. As I grew older I came to appreciate the more subtle pieces of performance and characterisation, such as Hardy’s look to the camera, the hand movements, the tiny details of intonation. It’s a brilliant comic performance. Stan was the brains behind everything, but Hardy’s performance is the thing that elevates everything onto another level. No movement is ever mundane - he performs it with a flourish.

The natural progression with a new love of something is to indulge curiosity, and I read a lot about them. Review books, biographies, anything I could get my hands on. They were a comfort to watch when times were bad. Even the background music is perfect. I tracked down versions of Marvin Hatley and Leroy Shield tunes recorded by Ronnie Hazlehurst and the Beau Hunks because I genuinely enjoyed listening to them, and they raised a smile as I remembered the scenes in which they were played.

I just never get bored of their films. There were a few duds, as is inevitable with the production line mentality of studios churning them out at the time, and the Fox films are awful, but the 1927-40 period is a treasure trove of two creative talents at the peak of their game, and no double act has ever come close to them on screen.
Tit for Tat is one of my favourites. It is a back to back with Them thar Hills where they meet the same man and wife whilst on a caravan holiday. I've got both on DVD, the only two I have, picked them up in one if those shops that sells cheap road maps, jigsaws and colouring in books.

Back