Latest on me dad, apologies if it’s boring but it’s the most important thing

sorry for your loss mate.

i lost my dad when i was 17 and never told him i loved him. it sort of grated on me and still does tbh that i never had the balls to say it. we've never been a family that gave each other hugs and kisses, it wasn't done.
when my mam had to go into a home because of her dementia i was sat talking rubbish to her one night and asked her to stand up for me, i gave her a hug and told her i loved her. i wasn't sure if she heard or was taking notice but later on when i was leaving she said i know you do son. broke my heart when she died and still does if i'm honest but at least she's free from pain.
I lost my Mam to cancer when i was 15 and I never told her how I felt, like you said massive regret so I had to make sure my Dad knew.

Thanks all. Been round there tonight as it's my Mam's birthday.

He seemed quite cheerful and he's had a good reminisce about all sorts of things including Len Shackleton and Bobby Gurney, learning to swim in Dawdon pit pool, accidentally setting a sand hole on Copt Hill on fire and the perils of sliding tackles in the winter when the snow goes up your shorts :eek:
Shack was my Dads fave player . He would always tell the story how he would kick the ball with back spin and summon it back with his fingers. That and the on pitch arguments with Trevor Ford

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. Been round there tonight as it's my Mam's birthday.

He seemed quite cheerful and he's had a good reminisce about all sorts of things including Len Shackleton and Bobby Gurney, learning to swim in Dawdon pit pool, accidentally setting a sand hole on Copt Hill on fire and the perils of sliding tackles in the winter when the snow goes up your shorts :eek:

Glad he's a bit better Becs - that story could have been worse he could have played on the pitches just outside Consett and it wasn't always snow but plenty of dog poo - the amount of times my mum made me change in the back yard!!!

Glad he's a bit better Becs - that story could have been worse he could have played on the pitches just outside Consett and it wasn't always snow but plenty of dog poo - the amount of times my mum made me change in the back yard!!!

My eldest played the game of his life on that pitch! He's a defensive midfielder but scored two absolute cracking goals and set up another one. They won 5-1.

I can't recall any poo on the pitch, but I'd just had a sinus op and had a bad nose bleed during the match that went all over my top and everywhere. I looked like an extra from the chain saw massacre :lol:

Shack was my Dads fave player . He would always tell the story how he would kick the ball with back spin and summon it back with his fingers. That and the on pitch arguments with Trevor Ford

He mentioned both of those. He said Shack often had the match ball and the ref would signal he wanted it for kick off. Shack would pass the ball and just as the ref went to pick it up, the ball would spin back away so the ref was left scrabbling on the ground at nothing :lol:

Back