Latest on me dad, apologies if it’s boring but it’s the most important thing

For me at the minute.
He’s had 3 weeks chemo, this week is his week off, hence the update. He’s had no bad effects, unfortunately that meant we’ve had to go to the match :)
Overalll he’s carrying on carrying on as normal like a bloody hero he is to me xx
Nee need to apologise, I'm sure it's good for you to get your thoughts down in writing and pleased he's deein canny.

my dad had a double heart bypass just last monday....he came home yesterday..it seems mad they can do such a big bit of surgery and be less than a week in hospital

he had kidney cancer about ten years ago...but they whipped it out and it was caught early..but he was in longer for that surgery

staff work so hard

For me at the minute.
He’s had 3 weeks chemo, this week is his week off, hence the update. He’s had no bad effects, unfortunately that meant we’ve had to go to the match :)
Overalll he’s carrying on carrying on as normal like a bloody hero he is to me xx
SEB but no need to apologise at all. It's times like this the SMB family comes together and we're all here if you need anything.

SEB but no need to apologise at all. It's times like this the SMB family comes together and we're all here if you need anything.
Thank you xx

my dad had a double heart bypass just last monday....he came home yesterday..it seems mad they can do such a big bit of surgery and be less than a week in hospital

he had kidney cancer about ten years ago...but they whipped it out and it was caught early..but he was in longer for that surgery

staff work so hard
Glad he’s home I hope he makes a full recovery xx

For me at the minute.
Great news, hoping the best for your dad, you and the family!:)

Being loved is the best medicine there is. To you @janey, @becs, @Mackemansj1, @GingerNick and everyone who is caring for a loved one, our thoughts are with you. There is a thread elsewhere about prayer, which I don't do personally in a religious sense, but I'm sure the power of positive thought can give us the strength to carry on, to treat our suffering ones as normally as we can and even having a laugh with them, because laughter is a tonic too. Hang on in there all of you, we're right behind you.

And long may it continue.

He's got an aortic aneurysm. It's now grown to a size where it's dangerous and it could rupture at any time which would be fatal. He really needs an operation but because of his stroke, they don't know if he can handle a general anaesthetic. They think they can do it by going up the vein from his groin but they can't decide on if it's suitable or not. So we're just waiting until they decide!

I'm in a very similar situation myself. Apparently had a bicuspid heart valve from birth and was not found until 3 years ago along with an ascending thoracic aneurysm which was measured at 5.2 cm last year the Aoritic valve 1. 2 cm I'm under watchful waiting at the Yorkshire Heart Centre at Leeds GI. Apparently there is no way of telling when these can rupture but ive been well versed as what not to do. Ive written a few letters for my wife and kids and put left them in a safe place just in case it ruptures. Apart from that i;m doing pretty well and most of the time i would not even know its there. Give you dad my best wishes. Fingers Xed

Last edited:
I'm in a very similar situation myself. Apparently had a bicuspid heart valve from birth and was not found until 3 years ago along with an ascending thoracic aneurysm which was measured at 5.2 cm last year the Aoritic valve 1. 2 cm I'm under watchful waiting at the Yorkshire Heart Centre at Leeds GI. Apparently there is no way of telling when these can rupture but ive been well versed as what not to do. Ive written a few letters for my wife and kids and put left them in a safe place just in case it ruptures. Apart from that i;m doing pretty well and most of the time i would not even know its there. Give you dad my best wishes. Fingers Xed

Sorry to hear that. It's awful living with it. Hope it continues to remain in the background and not bothering you. Have a hug xx

His was found by accident when he was having a scan for kidney stones. He's been monitored but they've said it's grown and needs attention now.

Sorry to hear that. It's awful living with it. Hope it continues to remain in the background and not bothering you. Have a hug xx

His was found by accident when he was having a scan for kidney stones. He's been monitored but they've said it's grown and needs attention now.

The repair is very straightforward and pretty routine nowadays. I'd rather have it done before it goes altogether mind. It can also tear which will cause significant pain but is often still very repairable.

I go again 2nd week in January to the valve clinic. I'll probably have to another stress test and trans thoracic echo so hoping its the same as last time. However Ive been plagued by repeated sinus infections since early August and it worries me a little as if bacteria can get into the bloodstream it can cause infective endocarditis and that can lead to serious problems with valve problems.

The repair is very straightforward and pretty routine nowadays. I'd rather have it done before it goes altogether mind. It can also tear which will cause significant pain but is often still very repairable.

I go again 2nd week in January to the valve clinic. I'll probably have to another stress test and trans thoracic echo so hoping its the same as last time. However Ive been plagued by repeated sinus infections since early August and it worries me a little as if bacteria can get into the bloodstream it can cause infective endocarditis and that can lead to serious problems with valve problems.

Have they thought about ENT for the sinus bother? A few years back, I kept getting sinusitis over and over until it felt like I had it all the time. They put a camera up my nose and confirmed the sinuses were blocked and my turbinate bones were enlarged. I had an operation where they drilled bigger holes in my sinuses and reduced the bones. I'll warn you, it was a horrible operation, but once I'd recovered, I've been fine. I've had the odd minor sinus episode since, but mainly they've been trouble free.

Had a referral 3 weeks ago and a CT scan done last Friday ...However had one previously (4 years ago) that showed polyps and some deviation and was put on Dymista nasal spray. I was also under immunology in Sheffield and was going to have house dust mite desensitization treatment but when the heart problem surfaced there was a change of plan because of the risk. Id have thought some antibiotics might have been given by ENT like a belt and braces approach but nothing as yet. I actually printed this off

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/30/2/336/380582

to back up my concerns but all the doctor did was to glance and put it down then gave it me back. I get the feeling they don't like it when you research your own condition. Anyway fingers Xed nothing is going on with any bacteria even though all manner of colours are being blown out on the tissues.

They've assessed my Dad and he's too poorly to have it operated on. He had a stroke three years ago while recovering from heart surgery after a heart attack. That left him severely disabled. He's paralysed all down the left side and he couldn't sit up, his mouth was dropped so his speech was slurred and he dribbled when he ate and he didn't always make sense mentally. Fast forward three years and he's made massive improvements. His mouth is pretty much normal now so his speech is clear and he can manage to eat well. Mentally he's sound and you can sit and have a conversation with him and it's like there's nothing wrong with him. He's managed to strengthen his back and hip so he can sit up in a chair/wheelchair and he can do assisted transfers now. If you stand in front of him and hold his torso, he can sort of hug you and bounce his bum between the wheelchair and bed/chair. Generally his quality of life is decent and they get out and about to various old folks groups, meals out with friends, they come to stuff the bairn is in at school etc.

They've said if they operate, there is a very strong possibility that he'll either not recover from it or have another stroke and end up back how he was three years ago or in an even worse state. We've talked about it and decided it's too greater risk and we'd rather see his days out with him being with us and doing things he wants to do rather than him being confused and stuck in a hospital bed not knowing what is going on.

They've assessed him and his heart, lungs and kidneys are all showing signs of failure. They'll do as much as they can to keep him comfortable but it's just a matter of waiting for the inevitable. Nobody can tell how long this will take - could be next week, next month, next year - who knows!

I'm absolutely gutted. I love him so much. He's like a best mate and we have class conversations about footy and stuff and we're always getting into trouble for winding my Mam up. It's so hard this :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
They've assessed my Dad and he's too poorly to have it operated on. He had a stroke three years ago while recovering from heart surgery after a heart attack. That left him severely disabled. He's paralysed all down the left side and he couldn't sit up, his mouth was dropped so his speech was slurred and he dribbled when he ate and he didn't always make sense mentally. Fast forward three years and he's made massive improvements. His mouth is pretty much normal now so his speech is clear and he can manage to eat well. Mentally he's sound and you can sit and have a conversation with him and it's like there's nothing wrong with him. He's managed to strengthen his back and hip so he can sit up in a chair/wheelchair and he can do assisted transfers now. If you stand in front of him and hold his torso, he can sort of hug you and bounce his bum between the wheelchair and bed/chair. Generally his quality of life is decent and they get out and about to various old folks groups, meals out with friends, they come to stuff the bairn is in at school etc.

They've said if they operate, there is a very strong possibility that he'll either not recover from it or have another stroke and end up back how he was three years ago or in an even worse state. We've talked about it and decided it's too greater risk and we'd rather see his days out with him being with us and doing things he wants to do rather than him being confused and stuck in a hospital bed not knowing what is going on.

They've assessed him and his heart, lungs and kidneys are all showing signs of failure. They'll do as much as they can to keep him comfortable but it's just a matter of waiting for the inevitable. Nobody can tell how long this will take - could be next week, next month, next year - who knows!

I'm absolutely gutted. I love him so much. He's like a best mate and we have class conversations about footy and stuff and we're always getting into trouble for winding my Mam up. It's so hard this :cry:
Awww @becs no words just big hugs and loads of love xxxxx

sorry to hear that becs. keep strong and allow your dad to keep his dignity

your Dad will be proud as punch of you.That alone will make him stronger
Thank you xx

It's hard to know what to say but you can be certain people are resiliant and keep on going no matter what tries to hold them up. Will be thinking of @janey, @wash and @becs.

My grandparents have all had a hard time this year, hard to talk about but I've taken so much in from this thread. The good and bad. Thanks for putting it out there.

Sorry to hear that becs, stay strong.

Back