Latest News

Having just suffered Look North celebrating the 50th anniversary of any North East team winning anything I look forward to May 5th 2023 when another North East team won something of note which at this rate will never be repeated. A hundredth anniversary will be irrelevant in my case.

Advances in medicine being made every day Marra, nil desperandum!

They’ll not cost much, because we don’t spend much. Apart from that I know as much as you, it’s always the case very rear I’ve heard of the players we sign until we’re about to sign them.

Who are the main players in your recruitment team and how is it set up? Does the manager have much say or are all signings based in fitting your profile and stats?

Also has your current recruitment setup had you sign any duds?

Who are the main players in your recruitment team and how is it set up? Does the manager have much say or are all signings based in fitting your profile and stats?

Also has your current recruitment setup had you sign any duds?

Not duds as such, but kids who’ve not been up to Championship level, they’ve moved on to other clubs such Luton who have four ex reds, and excelled in the forth division, got promotion then done it again and now find themselves back in the championship a couple of years older and wiser, we’ve got a pretty high turnover of players going out at both ends, some higher up some lower down, but we don’t seem to have a problem moving players on in ether direction because we don’t over pay them, and they want to play football, what we’re doing works for us.

We have a certain criteria as to the type of players we want, and the style of football we want to play, and we recruit to that end, and employ a head coach to get the best out of what we give him to work with, when Stendel leaves the next coach will be of the same mould so won’t need to bring in new players he’ll be able to get the best out of what he already as.

Not duds as such, but kids who’ve not been up to Championship level, they’ve moved on to other clubs such Luton who have four ex reds, and excelled in the forth division, got promotion then done it again and now find themselves back in the championship a couple of years older and wiser, we’ve got a pretty high turnover of players going out at both ends, some higher up some lower down, but we don’t seem to have a problem moving players on in ether direction because we don’t over pay them, and they want to play football, what we’re doing works for us.

We have a certain criteria as to the type of players we want, and the style of football we want to play, and we recruit to that end, and employ a head coach to get the best out of what we give him to work with, when Stendel leaves the next coach will be of the same mould so won’t need to bring in new players he’ll be able to get the best out of what he already as.
That sounds a million miles away from the shambles of a recruitment system we appear to have marra.

When did this model start? Was it due to new owners or what? As going back a few years id guess your recruitment model was no different to 99% of other sides

When did this model start? Was it due to new owners or what? As going back a few years id guess your recruitment model was no different to 99% of other sides

Our previous owner held a fans forum in a pub and asked us what we wanted from the club, it was 5 or 6 years ago, we had been struggling for years watching shite football, chopping and changing managers every 12 months or so, with that came an entirely new squads of has Beens, never beens, and never will bes, we were going round in circles in a puddle of piss. What came from this meeting was the fans knew we couldn’t spend millions on players because we didn’t have it, tat not what we wanted, what most wanted was, attacking football, played by young players hungry for personal success, willing to graft and be proud to play for us, but ultimately want to play for clubs much bigger and better than us so they’d work hard for us to get noticed and get to where they want to be, our owner at the time set about putting this in place and the last five years have had ups and down but in my opinion they’ve been better than the previous 5,
When the new owners bought the club they said they intend to continue like we are but invest more money into it. And that’s what they seem to be doing.

Our previous owner held a fans forum in a pub and asked us what we wanted from the club, it was 5 or 6 years ago, we had been struggling for years watching shite football, chopping and changing managers every 12 months or so, with that came an entirely new squads of has Beens, never beens, and never will bes, we were going round in circles in a puddle of piss. What came from this meeting was the fans knew we couldn’t spend millions on players because we didn’t have it, tat not what we wanted, what most wanted was, attacking football, played by young players hungry for personal success, willing to graft and be proud to play for us, but ultimately want to play for clubs much bigger and better than us so they’d work hard for us to get noticed and get to where they want to be, our owner at the time set about putting this in place and the last five years have had ups and down but in my opinion they’ve been better than the previous 5,
When the new owners bought the club they said they intend to continue like we are but invest more money into it. And that’s what they seem to be doing.

Cheers for the info, hopefully we adopt a similar strategy when recruiting players. All the best for next season mate

Just to illustrate @RascaI 's point, here is an article that displays league one age profiles graphically. Spot the obvious outlier. As for SAFC, we're not the worst in the league - but we're definitely in the bottom half.

I agree we need young blood, but we are only 2 months into the bottom half of the table.
There’s some teams whose overall average is higher than us whose overall age profile I’d prefer. I’m happy to have the odd player who is older if our general base is younger. In this case the raw average isn’t the biggest driver. The worst average age is Wycombe but I’d suggest that their age profile is probably preferential to ours.

Back