Latest boxing crack

I think Kelly can come back from that if he knuckles down and works on things.

He looked good at the start of the fight last night. His speeds phenomenal but he’s seriously lacking power. Needs to stop dropping his hands too as he’s leaving himself wide open too often. I still think he has some talent though.

I dunno whether it was ring rust, lack of desire or what but he just didn’t look good enough last night. He needs to get back to basics and just box. He was big enough last night he could have been on the front foot but he just let Avanesyan come towards him constantly.

I see they are still mentioning the Kelly Benn fight as a possibility. Based on that, Kelly has no chance with Benn. Be stupid to even entertain it at this point.

Kelly is really fast but needs to control it a bit more or he'll continue to burn out after a few rounds. He didn't seem to have much power either, will probably be a decent domestic fighter. The Mayweather style defence I'm not a fan of having the lead hand down.

Talking out his arse as it was Booth who picked the opponent.

Stuck with red and white tinted goggles on, he was blowing out his arse by the 5th, it's either a weight or a conditioning problem. Neither which are Matchroom's problems.

Must be a different Floyd Mayweather to the one who was fighting Hernandez, Manfredy and Augustus in his first three years as a pro

There's nothing wrong with Kelly's style, ability, power or ability to take a punch. It's the fact that by the end of the third round he was entirely gassed. That's either a conditioning problem, an underlying health issue or both.

I have to say that there's been a couple of occasions now where I've seen him and he reminds me of De Gale in that he doesn't seem to do more than the minimum to win fights and struggles with a lively opponent.

I haven't seen all of Kelly's fights but from what I have seen he looks excellent in flashes but needs to put it together for a full 12 rounds. I tipped him on points like so easy to now say he wasn't ready, he was well fancied going into it...

The showboating stuff looks excellent when it comes off, but for every time it works there's another time where he leaves himself wide open. He needs to box a lot smarter given how quickly he gassed.

He looked absolutely massive but lacked power and his skillset suits a lighter weight. The lack of power cost him more than anything else as he didn't really trouble Avanesyan and allowed him to soak up the pressure and hurt him once he burnt himself out.

On the flip side though, the speed he has is really special and his weaknesses can all be coached - even power to a degree. I take the point about putting him in with a European champion too soon but the alternative is that he continued to fight people below him, continued to build up a highlight reel without having his flaws exposed and got to the point where it was too late to change and a loss would have really hurt him. Losing in that manner could be the making of him if he's prepared to go back to basics.

Jaffa uses Floyd as an example but he was fighting the names I just mentioned within 2-3 years of turning pro so I'm not sure what he's going on about
There's nothing wrong with Kelly's style, ability, power or ability to take a punch. It's the fact that by the end of the third round he was entirely gassed. That's either a conditioning problem, an underlying health issue or both.

I have to say that there's been a couple of occasions now where I've seen him and he reminds me of De Gale in that he doesn't seem to do more than the minimum to win fights and struggles with a lively opponent.

I think his skills are great. I think he needs to work on refining his style though. I'm not sure Booth is for him really. He's used to working with fighters who've got a bit more pop so I'm not sure his approach is best for somebody like Kelly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Christ anyone seen that Valdez knockout of Berchelt?

Spark out before he hit the deck, didn’t move a muscle for about two minutes, brutal.
Yeah brutal KO. I watched the whole fight and Berchelt took a beating the whole fight. Will have put some miles on the clock.
Aye it was savage like, been some pretty ruthless knock outs in boxing and mma recently.
The Derrick Lewis KO from saturday was a bit naughty like.

Last edited:

Back