Latest boxing crack

Jeffries spot on there mind, before I even watched the video and saw the results on my phone I was like, this stinks of another Hearn Matchroom Mismatch

This is why i love boxing. Theres much more to it than two blokes fighting. The psychology is fascinating these gladiators going in there you don’t know what you’re going to get. That charlton lad on previously has an absolute granite chin, recovery powers, top engine, decent punch which got him so far upto now. Kelly has fast hands, movement, awkward style which has got him to another level without being troubled up until recently. Could go on but its class to watch fighters evolve. Its a very strange thing to get hurt fighting the whole adrenaline overload takes it back to the fight or flight no matter who you are. The buzz from fighting is beyond any narcotic and the fear to begin is just as powerful. To try and bottle that is incredibly difficult and i have the highest respect for any combat sport athlete that takes part.

That's not a great thing at times when you're taking heavy shots, it can be very dangerous.
If you go down, it gives you time to compose yourself and not get a barrage of hard punches to the head for a bit of time.

It got him in the end and he took far too many blows and pretty solid ones because of his granite chin.
There's many a great boxer been down on the canvass but most of those didn't take half the shots he did in multiple fights never mind 8 rounds.

Josh is an amazing talent, I thought the first 4 rounds or so he looked sensational.
They don’t seem to have come to terms with the lack of power though.
Mentally or physically I don’t think he’s prepared for a hard 12 rounds fight.
Unfortunately moving up this is what he’s going to be faced with and it’s a question now whether he can adapt.

Tony Jeffries

12th fight, and fighting for a European title

It’s to soon man!

Look at who Hatton, Haye, Froch and so many other top fighters before them, who they fought in there 12th fight

They rush so many prospects these days
It’s sink or swim rather than building them

@SkySportsBoxing

Think there's a balancing act to be had. Don't think that lads who fought at the top level as amateurs should be spending their first 15 pro fights against journeymen the way it's been done until fairly recently but Kelly's fight with Ray Robinson showed that he was still a fair way off being ready for someone like Avanesyan.

Think there's a balancing act to be had. Don't think that lads who fought at the top level as amateurs should be spending their first 15 pro fights against journeymen the way it's been done until fairly recently but Kelly's fight with Ray Robinson showed that he was still a fair way off being ready for someone like Avanesyan.

These days it's about names and records rather than picking journeymen who could do specific things well. Fight a guy with a superb jab, then somebody who is a good counter puncher etc. Much less of that sort of thought goes in to it now

Always remember Booth saying early on that Carl Thompson was all wrong for David Haye at that stage in Haye's career and he wishes he had pulled him out. Wouldn't be surprised if that was in his thinking at the time of the initial fight that was scheduled between Kelly and Avanesyan

Strange from Booth this fight, he says Kelly is the most talented fighter he’s worked with and he’ll only put him in with fighters when he thinks he’s ready then throws him in with a world level fighter in his 12th fight !

Strange when it was first organised in 2019 even

Strange from Booth this fight, he says Kelly is the most talented fighter he’s worked with and he’ll only put him in with fighters when he thinks he’s ready then throws him in with a world level fighter in his 12th fight !

Strange when it was first organised in 2019 even

The instructions not long before he got knocked out were baffling. The round he started getting caught more and standing in the pocket, Booth told him at the end to keep backing him up etc. Daft. Avenesyan is a very good fighter, but when Kelly was moving and mixing it up he was struggling, his footwork is fairly clumsy (despite being good at cutting off the ring) and Kelly starts trying to walk him back in the pocket

These days it's about names and records rather than picking journeymen who could do specific things well. Fight a guy with a superb jab, then somebody who is a good counter puncher etc. Much less of that sort of thought goes in to it now

If he hadn't been proven to be such a shady twat then Barry McGuigan would have been a perfect manager/matchmaker for someone like Kelly when he turned over. For all of Cyclone's faults they made sure that Frampton and Taylor had come up against pretty much every sort of style by the time they got to world level.

It's my biggest bugbear in modern boxing.
Look at some of the greats, most of them lost but nobody cares now.

He needs to be more active and have more experience against different styles.

Floyd Mayweather would almost certainly have had a better resume if he'd lost the Castillo fight imo.
If he hadn't been proven to be such a shady twat then Barry McGuigan would have been a perfect manager/matchmaker for someone like Kelly when he turned over. For all of Cyclone's faults they made sure that Frampton and Taylor had come up against pretty much every sort of style by the time they got to world level.

He quickly needs to get with somebody who gives him a proper style. Whatever he's got going on with Booth doesn't really seem like he's learning a real style. Just flashes of what he's capable of, but not putting it together effectively. Almost everything be does, there's place for in his game... Just needs more purpose in what he's doing and how to execute it. With his speed and pop I don't know why he abandoned the jab in favour of getting up close. He must really have been gassed if he physically felt he needed to do that, because from a technical point of view it made no sense. Looked massive compared to weigh in, so maybe he really killed it to get to the weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Floyd Mayweather would almost certainly have had a better resume if he'd lost the Castillo fight imo.

He quickly needs to get with somebody who gives him a proper style. Whatever he's got going on with Booth doesn't really seem like he's learning a real style. Just flashes of what he's capable of, but not putting it together effectively. Almost everything be does, there's place for in his game... Just needs more purpose in what he's doing and how to execute it. With his speed and pop I don't know why he abandoned the jab in favour of getting up close. He must really have been gassed if he physically felt he needed to do that, because from a technical point of view it made no sense. Looked massive compared to weigh in, so maybe he really killed it to get to the weight.
A good few people in the know seem to have commented on his weight, it could very well have been a big factor to gassing.

A good few people in the know seem to have commented on his weight, it could very well have been a big factor to gassing.

He filled out a lot from the weigh in. That only means one thing generally. No excuse whatsoever like, they've had 2 years to get to weight properly :lol:

Back