Latest boxing crack

All fighters have voluntary defenses. British voluntary world title defenses off the top of my head in recent years include Froch vs Mack, Bellew vs Flores, Brook vs Gavin, Warrington vs that fella he easily beat the other week, Callum Smith vs N'Dam on the AJ card the other month, Liam Smith vs Jimmy Kelly. None of those opponents particularly deserved their title shot, and pretty much all were their respective domestic level, but they all worked their way into a particular sanctioning bodies top 15. Ritson is top 15 with the WBA so would be just as worthy (or unworthy if you prefer) as any of those opponent names mentioned in this post, but because he has a fan base and has been pushed more by Sky, it would be a much more lucrative softish first defense, and would be one of the more lucrative fights Taylor could take - he would be getting huge money for a pretty routine defense.

If not Ritson, Taylor would likely just be defending his potential WBA title against any of those unspectaclar names towards the bottom end of the WBA 140 list.

All hypothetical of course, as Taylor is the underdog against Prograis, and that is a fight and a half itself, but just because there are clear and obvious levels between Taylor and Ritson doesn't mean it won't, or even shouldn't, happen.

I’d be embarrassed if they matched ritson with Taylor, can’t see it happening even By Eddie standard.
Got beat on his first step outside British level man ffs.

Give ritson an international fight, yigit or Martin for European title?

Last edited:
I’d be embarrassed if they matched ritson with Taylor, can’t see it happening even By Eddie standard.
Got beat on his first step outside British level man ffs.

Give ritson an international fight, yigit or Martin for European title?

Troyanovsky said he wanted the winner of Davies and Ritson. He's old as fuck but it'd still be a canny opponent for Ritson

WBA man ,they also have an interim title holder but fuck nars for which belt.😀

Ramirez the fight to make after his mandatory.

WBA SUPER CHAMPIONREGIS PROGRAISUSA
WBA WORLD CHAMPIONMARIO BARRIOSUSA
WBA GOLD CHAMPIONYVES ULYSSE JRCAN
WBC JOSE CARLOS RAMIREZ IBF JOSH TAYLOR WBO JOSE CARLOS RAMIREZ

Really don't get the dislike some on here have for Ritson, taking aside the obvious Mag connection he seems to be a genuinely down-to-earth fella and he's a great fighter to watch. That Joe Laws on the other hand is an absolute prick with Saunders and Broner levels of intellect and likability.

Really don't get the dislike some on here have for Ritson, taking aside the obvious Mag connection he seems to be a genuinely down-to-earth fella and he's a great fighter to watch. That Joe Laws on the other hand is an absolute prick with Saunders and Broner levels of intellect and likability.
Don’t think there is is there? Apart from being a mag and the toon toon shit.

Seems decent fella and he can’t help being a scummer.

I quite like Ritson but I don't let myself get to angry about mags. I don't think he will ever be good enough but if he won a world title I'd be chuffed a Northeast lad had won one.

Yep, Prograis is coming across really well, and fair play to him being over here for about 3 weeks and doing his best to promote the fight. Really looking forward to it, brilliant main event, and it was good (or rather crafty) that Sky picked up both semi finals to set it up. I'd be OK paying just or the main event, but the undercard is pretty solid as well, although I do think that it'll probably do one of the lowest buys in the matchroom era.

Yep, Prograis is coming across really well, and fair play to him being over here for about 3 weeks and doing his best to promote the fight. Really looking forward to it, brilliant main event, and it was good (or rather crafty) that Sky picked up both semi finals to set it up. I'd be OK paying just or the main event, but the undercard is pretty solid as well, although I do think that it'll probably do one of the lowest buys in the matchroom era.
the lowest in the hearn era was 32k ( froch v kessler 2) , i think this does 175k

the lowest in the hearn era was 32k ( froch v kessler 2) , i think this does 175k
Surprised Froch Vs Kessler did shit numbers. Both fights were very good.

Is there a list of the numbers online anywhere?

BT Sport seem to have conveniently kept their non Wilder-Fury PPV numbers quiet, so we can assume they aren't great.

I'm also surprised about the Kessler 2 numbers, but I guess the current platform and hype hadn't been established back then and it was the first attempt for 2 years after broken toe gate. You'd think that would have done far more this day, had it (hypthetically) happened now with the exact same circumtances (not necessarily part III).

There does seem to have been a bit of a decline in numers recently, AJ-Ruiz is still good for a late replacement supposedly with little chance at 4am in the morning - the Saudi rematch will likely be nearer the (or perhaps more than) AJ-Klitschko numbers I'd have thought. Can't see this one doing as well as Loma-Campbell because Taylor isn't English (and barely British either - pro independence, avoided British title etc.) and also hasn't been on Dancing on Ice like Luke who was also a 2012 gold medalist, and Prograis doesn't have the same rep as Lomachenko, even though this is a MUCH better match up - I reckon it'll be a little under 150,000, so nearer Brook-Gavin numbers. The way I see it is if this wasn't PPV then it would almost certainly have been in America given the #1 seed is American and DAZN are behind the WBSS now, so while I never really like paying extra, I will buy this, as proper good, high level match ups at 10/11pm, with no obvious winner, are few and far between these days. The rest of the card is also good enough support IMO for a top top main event.

Last edited:

Back