Latest boxing crack

"A situation that requires something be done a certain way because one believes it is the only right way".

I, like the others, do agree with the principle thing - I think that above definition fits this situation pretty well. I could afford to pay £20, like I could if Sky charged an extra £20 on top for every top 6 PL match next season, and as others mention it would be a sharper, clearer, more reliable service if I did buy it, but it is kind of putting your foot down, and hoping that others do similar so that the situation might change, like with Prem Plus about 20 years ago - unlikely to happen as they always seem to do at least 400,000 buys, so probably fighting a losing battle, but the most recent ones featuring Whyte have had a notable decrease, so if they continue to fall then it might change.

Allen vs Price and Chisora vs his Polish opponent could have easily headlined their own Sky Sports Fight Night like they used to, but instead we're getting the likes of Jordan Gill and Ted Cheeseman headlining cheap lower level NxtGen cards these days.

Hearn is now trying to build the Lomachenko-Campbell PPV card for August and is eyeing up Liam Smith vs Sergio Garcia (the lad who beat Cheeseman, not the golfer...), and that again could easily have headlined a normal card on Sky at the Echo. Sky's regular domestic content is the absolute pits now.

Last edited:
"A situation that requires something be done a certain way because one believes it is the only right way".

I, like the others, do agree with the principle thing - I think that above definition fits this situation pretty well. I could afford to pay £20, like I could if Sky charged an extra £20 on top for every top 6 PL match next season, and as others mention it would be a sharper, clearer, more reliable service if I did buy it, but it is kind of putting your foot down, and hoping that others do similar so that the situation might change, like with Prem Plus about 20 years ago - unlikely to happen as they always seem to do at least 400,000 buys, so probably fighting a losing battle, but the most recent ones featuring Whyte have had a notable decrease, so if they continue to fall then it might change.

Allen vs Price and Chisora vs his Polish opponent could have easily headlined their own Sky Sports Fight Night like they used to, but instead we're getting the likes of Jordan Gill and Ted Cheeseman headlining cheap lower level NxtGen cards these days.

Hearn is now trying to build the Lomachenko-Campbell PPV card for August and is eyeing up Liam Smith vs Sergio Garcia (the lad who beat Cheeseman, not the golfer...), and that again could easily have headlined a normal card on Sky at the Echo. Sky's regular domestic content is the absolute pits now.
Spot on..Sky regular fight nights are terrible, however their PPV isn't much better tbf

I think Hearn trying to grow the matchroom brand in the US with Dazn means we are suffering with even worse cards than he has delivered for the last few years. Maybe I should feel guilty about the amount of boxing I download and stream but I don't.

Spot on..Sky regular fight nights are terrible, however their PPV isn't much better tbf

It's just a shame. 4 years ago on normal Sky we had Quigg vs Martinez and Crolla vs Perez, 2 world title fights on the same bill as well as Glenn Foot when he was unbeaten and his stock was much higher fighting Sam Eggington in a 50/50 (at the time) British title fight, as well as another 50/50 British title fight that ended in a draw (Nurse vs Jenkins). Although there's no world titles on the bill, this PPV is certainly watchable. Not a bad opponent for Whyte, Price vs Allen is a bit of a joke, but could be fun, and Chisora still has name value and is in with a live opponent, so if that was on normal Sky Sports, like that Manchester card I mentioned, then I would be looking forward to it, but charging an extra £20 is an absolute piss take, and pure greed, so it will be a shitty stream on principle.

I think Hearn trying to grow the matchroom brand in the US with Dazn means we are suffering with even worse cards than he has delivered for the last few years. Maybe I should feel guilty about the amount of boxing I download and stream but I don't.

Yeah, it's been pretty shit since about the start of 2017, but it has gone noticeably worse since that DAZN deal came into play all, and his efforts are over there now. At least when it was getting worse you still had cards in the big arenas at Newcastle, Liverpool, Sheffield etc. now it's pretty much all in London, or leisure centres for the NxtGen stuff. That Okolie Manchester Arena card getting cancelled last month was pretty telling. Just a shame how it's gone as British boxing, particularly via Matchroom, really was in a good position 3 or 4 years ago, but it's all gone to pot for the armchair fan / those who like attending UK events.

Last edited:
It's just a shame. 4 years ago on normal Sky we had Quigg vs Martinez and Crolla vs Perez, 2 world title fights on the same bill as well as Glenn Foot when he was unbeaten and his stock was much higher fighting Sam Eggington in a 50/50 (at the time) British title fight, as well as another 50/50 British title fight that ended in a draw (Nurse vs Jenkins). Although there's no world titles on the bill, this PPV is certainly watchable. Not a bad opponent for Whyte, Price vs Allen is a bit of a joke, but could be fun, and Chisora still has name value and is in with a live opponent, so if that was on normal Sky Sports, like that Manchester card I mentioned, then I would be looking forward to it, but charging an extra £20 is an absolute piss take, and pure greed, so it will be a shitty stream on principle.

Yeah, it's been pretty shit since about the start of 2017, but it has gone noticeably worse since that DAZN deal came into play all, and his efforts are over there now. At least when it was getting worse you still had cards in the big arenas at Newcastle, Liverpool, Sheffield etc. now it's pretty much all in London, or leisure centres for the NxtGen stuff. That Okolie Manchester Arena card getting cancelled last month was pretty telling. Just a shame how it's gone as British boxing, particularly via Matchroom, really was in a good position 3 or 4 years ago, but it's all gone to pot for the armchair fan / those who like attending UK events.

Any idea how long matchrooms Contract with sky has left? I think once its up that might be the end of boxing on sky sports.

Any idea how long matchrooms Contract with sky has left? I think once its up that might be the end of boxing on sky sports.

A few have thought similar. I think it's 2021, so a bit to go yet, but people were also thinking Hearn was putting on shite on purpose so DAZN might come to the UK once that contract ends and he'll take all his fighters there with him, whether that happens is another thing though. Adam Smith (Head of Boxing @ Sky) did have words with Hean at the start of the year as he wasn't too happy, but it's got even worse since then. It really is like Hearn is taking the piss, and hopefully it doesn't end Sky's involvement in boxing as it has been on there for as long a I can remember - it they do split, hopefully some smaller promoters or someone like MTK can get a card by card deal or something.

A few have thought similar. I think it's 2021, so a bit to go yet, but people were also thinking Hearn was putting on shite on purpose so DAZN might come to the UK once that contract ends and he'll take all his fighters there with him, whether that happens is another thing though. Adam Smith (Head of Boxing @ Sky) did have words with Hean at the start of the year as he wasn't too happy, but it's got even worse since then. It really is like Hearn is taking the piss, and hopefully it doesn't end Sky's involvement in boxing as it has been on there for as long a I can remember - it they do split, hopefully some smaller promoters or someone like MTK can get a card by card deal or something.
Aye it would be a shame if it went altogether but I don't think sky are getting good value at the minute.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the initial plan but would imagine that DAZN will be somewhat wary of launching over here any time soon given that Eleven Sports barely lasted 6 months

Quite miss the odd prizefighter tournament was decent entertainment but then buried it with a show every other week.
As people have said their 'free' shows are barely better than local shows, and far too many ppv shows

I’m buying the sky card like..

Tbf 3 cracking heavyweight fights like, right up for it.

Teofimo Lopez fighting in the states on Friday.

What a f***ing story!! Some proper grim stories but fascinating. The fight with the guy after he'd just been released from jail!!
His impression and stories of Brendan ingle crack me up...:)

“Ugly f***ing bassstard”

“Big ugly f***ing basstard”

Last edited:

Back