Latest boxing crack

This is my thinking. Should have just moved up instead of wasting everybody's time

Looked horrendous on the scales against Spike and seem to remember that he needed 2 attempts to make the weight against both Saunders and Stevens. Hopefully go up to 168 now, as technically limited as he is he's a huge puncher who will carry the power up and it's not a particularly great division at the minute so wouldn't be a huge surprise to see him pick up a strap there but he can clearly no longer make 160 safely

Canadian media reporting that Stevenson is currently paralysed down his right side. No other indication of his current condition or if the paralysis is likely to be temporary or permanent

This obsession athletes have now with making weight is getting worse and worse. I understand the value of making weight and do it myself, but some of these huge cuts that are going on now are detrimental and dangerous, especially in combat sports.

Slapping rehydration limits on people is further damaging.

This obsession athletes have now with making weight is getting worse and worse. I understand the value of making weight and do it myself, but some of these huge cuts that are going on now are detrimental and dangerous, especially in combat sports.

Member of my family is a boxer. Only 16. Won gold over Denmark couple month ago, things he's got to do is unbelievable to 'make the weight.' Very, very hard.

Member of my family is a boxer. Only 16. Won gold over Denmark couple month ago, things he's got to do is unbelievable to 'make the weight.' Very, very hard.

The demand I've seen on young kids at ABCs to make weight they're clearly growing out of is horrendous mind.

Furthermore, most do it wrong. To cut weight you need to increase water intake until a certain time before weigh in, but most people do total opposite

The simple way to stop it is to weigh in on the day of the fight.

The simple way to stop it is to weigh in on the day of the fight.

It wouldn't mate. Sports with same day weigh in have people still dehydrating themselves. Even most amateur boxing is same day.

It's just the mentality of the athlete (well a lot of anyway) to do anything to get 'the edge'. Plenty just don't find the sweet spot between making the weight and maintaining peak performance.

The demand I've seen on young kids at ABCs to make weight they're clearly growing out of is horrendous mind.

Furthermore, most do it wrong. To cut weight you need to increase water intake until a certain time before weigh in, but most people do total opposite
He struggled to make weight he needed to, now he's dropped down he's perfect and can naturally make weight. Much better boxer and happier .

He struggled to make weight he needed to, now he's dropped down he's perfect and can naturally make weight. Much better boxer and happier .

It's just not healthy for kids doing intense sport to be cutting weight. Nevermind the brain fluid argument side of it, but hormonally it's not a great idea either.

Said it a few months back but nothing will be done about it until there's a high profile fatality where the weight cut has played a part

Controversial, but they could just up each weight limit by a couple of lbs?

The state commissions and sanctioning bodies where necessary really need to monitor fighters throughout camps to make sure that they're cutting weight safely, especially in the case of someone like Lemieux who even before yesterday was well-known to really struggle to make 160.

From what I gather the British Boxing Board of Control and the IBF are both pretty good in that aspect but far more needs to be done

Back