Latest boxing crack

:lol:

Defensive ? He was literally forcing the pace walking GGG down in nearly every round. He wanted Mexican style and got it. Even Abel Sanchez said in the 8th round in the corner, "you're losing this fight". Also said "the 12th round cost my fighter tonight" I agree with that. That was the round thay won it for Canelo for me.

GGG was circling and backing up alot of the fight with the jab. Canelo forced the pace and showed ring leadership. Judges prefer power punches, not jabs.

There was a lot more to it than Golovkin pawing away with jabs and Canelo landing the clean, hard shots. They both landed a lot of shots that would have knocked out most boxers. It seemed to me that when one of them landed with a combination the other came back with a combination. Neither of them were willing to budge an inch and the only time one of them was hurt, and even then not seriously, it was Canelo.

Most pundits and boxers think Golovkin won the fight, just.

I scored it pretty much in line with the judges up until the last round. 2 of the judges gave that last round to Canelo - I thought it was one of the few clear rounds to either fighter and I thought it was Golovkin's. Had those two judges given that round to Golovkin then the decision would have been different.

Small margins.

No way was it a robbery, and I expected Canelo to fight like that in the first fight. The first fight was an undoubted robbery though.

You don't get decisions against Canelo in Las Vegas. Mayweather absolutely schooled him, Canelo probably only took one round, and yet one of the judges still gave Canelo a draw. You have to beat Canelo by 10 rounds in Las Vegas to get the decision. He's the cash cow, has a big following there and judges are bought off. Having said that the second fight could have been given either way. I thought Golovkin by a round but can quite easily see why someone else would have given it to Canelo, just. 5 rounds were very difficult to score.

Highlights the biggest flaw in the current scoring system, there were 5 rounds that were clearly won by Golovkin so after that you'd have had to have given Canelo every single close round in order to have him winning yet they still have to be scored the same way.

Seems like I'm in a minority of one in thinking that Golovkin won this fight more convincingly than the first one
I had Golovkin by 4 rounds, more than I did the first one.

Think Joshua will win in the mid-late rounds but Povetkin's always looked to have had a pretty good chin so wouldn't be particularly surprised if it goes to a decision.

Outstanding odds for Povetkin. The best bet I've seen since Groves/Eubank.

Joshua beat a Klitschko well past his best and in his early '40s and even then was dead on his feet around round 6. Got past Parker what seemed comfortably but when the referee allowed it to go and when Parker rushed him he wasn't comfortable at all.

It would not surprise me one bit if Joshua loses this. He's just fortunate to have come a long at the right time, with not much around, but really he's not that far removed from Frank Bruno, and with a suspect chin.

7/1 for Povetkin just to win the fight? Fuckin' 'ell.

I've gonna have a look at the odds tomorrow and go something like both fighters to get knocked down and Povetkin to knock Joshua out. Not saying it will happen but really good value odds given Joshua's suspect chin and that he's nothing special at all.

I reckon the odds for this fight should really be something like Joshua favourite by a couple of rounds. But because the bookies have got it so ridiculously one sided it makes Povetkin unbelievably good value.

The saying the bookies are usually right just doesn't apply to boxing.

Hearn indicates Joshua’s next fight will be Whyte

As much as he has improved, that’s a shit fight
Just browsing the RTG site, love the boxing so I'll chip in. Whyte deserves a world title shot IMO. Number 4 in my book behind the obvious top 3. He beat Parker.

Just browsing the RTG site, love the boxing so I'll chip in. Whyte deserves a world title shot IMO. Number 4 in my book behind the obvious top 3. He beat Parker.
And he's the only one who wobbled Joshua apart from WK.

Joshua beat a Klitschko well past his best and in his early '40s and even then was dead on his feet around round 6. Got past Parker what seemed comfortably but when the referee allowed it to go and when Parker rushed him he wasn't comfortable at all.

It would not surprise me one bit if Joshua loses this. He's just fortunate to have come a long at the right time, with not much around, but really he's not that far removed from Frank Bruno, and with a suspect chin.

I've gonna have a look at the odds tomorrow and go something like both fighters to get knocked down and Povetkin to knock Joshua out. Not saying it will happen but really good value odds given Joshua's suspect chin and that he's nothing special at all.

I reckon the odds for this fight should really be something like Joshua favourite by a couple of rounds. But because the bookies have got it so ridiculously one sided it makes Povetkin unbelievably good value.

The comparison to Bruno is ridiculous tbf and I’m not Joshua’s biggest fan. Frank does not recover from the Vlad punch that knocked Joshua down....so AJ has a better chin for starters.

The bookies generally get it right when it comes to boxing bar the odd upset as well. No different to most other sports. They simply wouldn’t trade otherwise.

Highlights the biggest flaw in the current scoring system, there were 5 rounds that were clearly won by Golovkin so after that you'd have had to have given Canelo every single close round in order to have him winning yet they still have to be scored the same way.

Seems like I'm in a minority of one in thinking that Golovkin won this fight more convincingly than the first one
I watched it live and had GGG by four. Since watched it a again and had him by 5. He threw more, landed more and outworked him. No way did Canelo 'take' the title from him as has always been the unwritten rule in boxing.
The last round was clearly GGGs - you really can't make a case for Canelo taking that on 2 judges' cards to win the fight. Stinks of a fix imo. Should have been a draw at the absolute worst and a 2-5 round win for GGG at best.
Even HBO had him winning by 4 in the live commentary!

Povetkin without drugs and a few more years on the clock was properly wobbled by Price who no offence isn’t much but a lucky one punch kinda boxer !

Flat footed n slow around the ring in that fight and most of what i.ve seen of training for this !

Be surprised if he knocks Joshua out but if he connects he’ll have him in trouble no doubt

I always bet against AJ when he’s in with capable opponents, so I’ll be having a flutter at 8/1 for the KO.

Having said that, Povetkin getting nearly decked by Price should mean AJ pummels him. For me, it’ll be intriguing to see how Joshua comes out.

Both fighters to be knocked down and Povetkin to win is 40/1 with skybet, my mate usually backs the underdog and he’s been looking at this. I personally do think Povetkin has the power to knock out AJ however having seen Povetkin hurt by price who I don’t care what anyone says Price was one punch away from dropping Povetkin, I don’t think Povetkin will get AJ in that kind of trouble, I’m going AJ in the 8th both fighters to be knocked down and AJ in the 8th is 80/1 might have a flutter

I always bet against AJ when he’s in with capable opponents, so I’ll be having a flutter at 8/1 for the KO.

Having said that, Povetkin getting nearly decked by Price should mean AJ pummels him. For me, it’ll be intriguing to see how Joshua comes out.
I’ve heard a few people saying similar this week. Granted price is shite, shouldn’t even be in the ring in my opinion. What’s to say though that the shot he caught povetkin with wasn’t as hard, if not harder than anything Joshua has in he’s locker?
It may be he didn’t take price seriously, got caught with an absolute bomb, managed to recover, then done the job.
Obviously AJ expected to win, and my head says he will, but like others on here I always bet against him when up against a “live” opponent.

The bookies odds are set by the betting patterns (apart from when they are initially offered). All that the current odds reflect is a shitload of money being placed on Joshua to win. Even though a think Joshua should win this I agree 7/1 is decent odds on a Povetkin win like.

Both fighters to be knocked down and Povetkin to win is 40/1 with skybet, my mate usually backs the underdog and he’s been looking at this. I personally do think Povetkin has the power to knock out AJ however having seen Povetkin hurt by price who I don’t care what anyone says Price was one punch away from dropping Povetkin, I don’t think Povetkin will get AJ in that kind of trouble, I’m going AJ in the 8th both fighters to be knocked down and AJ in the 8th is 80/1 might have a flutter

I'd just bear in mind that David Price can really bang. Has other flaws mind you, but he has genuine power.

The problem here is that Povetkin has to get in close to do damage, which he will be capable of as Joshua doesn't have the footwork to stop it happening. Parker easily got behind his jab - problem was the referee stopped it from happening - it might happen again given that Joshua is a money making machine.

If the referee doesn't stop it from happening and let's it go, I'm confident Povetkin will be able to get behind his jab and expose Joshua as one dimensional and with poor footwork. Joshua is a typical British heavyweight in that he fights pretty much in straight lines and likes to go forward, except he has real power - I don't think he has much else.

Obviously Povetkin knows he can't stand off him and allow Joshua to dictate the fight behind his jab, so I'm hoping he just brawls his way behind the jab and puts Joshua under serious pressure. Joshua doesn't have the experience of dealing with that, and it showed when Parker rushed him. Maybe Joshua will prove me wrong, but I think this type of fight will show just how good Joshua is. I think it's a good fight in terms of styles.

Back