Latest boxing crack

Sure I remember Newcastle’s John Davison was showing off his belt at Roker in the late 80’s and getting a good reception. Don’t think Billy Hardy ever appeared at St. James’ like?

Wish Kelly was on before Ritson TBH

You'd expect that when Hearn brings them up here in future that it'll be Ritson headlining rather than Kelly, might not be such a bad thing for Kelly in order to become a draw up here in all honesty. Couldn't make it last night but sounds as though quite a lot of people had left the arena after Ritson

Daft putting josh as main event....not a draw and not a fan friendly style compared to say ritson. Not sure about never mentioning where he is from, that has got to be the first time ever I’ve never heard the ring announcer say where a fighters is from.

Compare ritsen, forest hall
Glenn foot Marley Potts :)

Those mag Fuckers will never accept man, no matter how much Sunderland is erased.

I was there and it was a bit strange. Felt a bit uncomfortable during the Ritson stuff, wish they would ease off the football, but it was an incredible atmosphere.

Didn't like the 'pride of the North East' stuff for Josh either, although where I was sitting I thought the arena was still reasonably full when Josh was on - it did clear on mass though once George retired so must have been about 20% max when Josh was doing his post fight interview and it was only 11 - I've seen me still at shows well after 12. There were a few red and white army chants as said, but they didn't last long.

Ritson will surely be the final fight they are up here (and I'd still go), but unfortunately I'm not sure if Josh will be a focal point of these plans and can see him boxing around the country again (or even on some of Hearns US cards) for his next 3 or 4 fights.

Can't for the life of me understand why any Sunderland folk still spend there coin in scummerville.

Because they are boxing fans and got to see Josh and Foot and other North East talent just 14 miles from their doorstep instead of travelling 150+ to the likes of Leeds, Manchester, London etc.

I'd much rather go there and get back to my own bed at a reasonable time rather than any of the aforementioned cities.

I was really hoping it would have worked, it probably would have been far better if he was on first, but I do feel a bit sorry for Josh - he's got the better pedigree and I'm sure will go further, but he got overshadowed last night and I don't think there's anywhere in Sunderland which would fit in with the Sky Sports' and Matchrooms strategy and if they're coming up here 2 or 3 times a year, they're not going to go to a 3 or 4k leisure centre type over a big city arena so Josh will probably have to decide for now whether he is happy with that arrangement or whether he would prefer to go round the country again.

I still enjoyed the night like.

Because they are boxing fans and got to see Josh and Foot and other North East talent just 14 miles from their doorstep instead of travelling 150+ to the likes of Leeds, Manchester, London etc.

I'd much rather go there and get back to my own bed at a reasonable time rather than any of the aforementioned cities.

I was really hoping it would have worked, it probably would have been far better if he was on first, but I do feel a bit sorry for Josh - he's got the better pedigree and I'm sure will go further, but he got overshadowed last night and I don't think there's anywhere in Sunderland which would fit in with the Sky Sports' and Matchrooms strategy and if they're coming up here 2 or 3 times a year, they're not going to go to a 3 or 4k leisure centre type over a big city arena so Josh will probably have to decide for now whether he is happy with that arrangement or whether he would prefer to go round the country again.

I still enjoyed the night like.

Aye. Me too like. Was cracking TBH. Great seats for 40 notes too. If Kelly was on first then it would have been sound.

Aye. Me too like. Was cracking TBH. Great seats for 40 notes too. If Kelly was on first then it would have been sound.

I don't think you get a bad seat there to be honest. I was in the 40s for the AJ fight about 4 years ago and it was absolutely fine. We did get 60s this time and I got them as soon as they came on sale and I was in the second row of those seats, dead centre of the ring and it was a cracking view.

I do think going forward it may be harder to get tickets because you know what social media is like and I can see far more people, mags in particular unfortunately, wanting to get involved.

Haha aye .Thought Glenn looked rusty mind. Need to step it up for the title in October.

That's another thing about Man of Town's post. It's just very good for the region - obviously it would be nicer from our POV if there was a 10k Sunderland Arena, but take someone like Glenn Foot, he's 30 now, but having the best spell of his career. He was meant to be having the rematch with Leather with the vacant British title on the line. Leather is fighting O'Hara Davies soon so Glenn will either fight him or someone else for the vacant belt and it'll very likely end up on a future Matchroom Newcastle show. I'm sure Foot would far rather be 2nd or 3rd fight up here, live on Sky, where his fans can easily attend and where he will be the home favourite than most likely being the away fighter, in a leisure centre, probably not even on TV.

Whether Josh is on the next show or not remains to be seen, hopefully he will be, but if not, even something like this:

Ritson European title fight
Foot for vacant British title
Valilly vs Iqbal rematch
Another fight if no Kelly (think Hall is pretty much done now and probably Nella as well)

would be decent enough and would sell and it's not just Newcastle that benefits - there were boxers from Darlington, South Shields, Middlesbrough and of course Sunderland who were involved last night and featured on TV who normally wouldn't get the chance - a bit like Tommy Coyle who took advantage of Luke Campbell's popularity in Hull and the likes 0f Masher Dodd when on a Bellew or Smith undercard an even Josh Warrington to an extent and look what's happened to him sicne making his TV debut in Hull. It's a shame that Frank Warren has a couple of the North East lads, as although someone like Tommy Ward isn't the most exciting to watch, he would have been an OK addition to the cards and could replace Stuey Hall.

That's another thing about Man of Town's post. It's just very good for the region - obviously it would be nicer from our POV if there was a 10k Sunderland Arena, but take someone like Glenn Foot, he's 30 now, but having the best spell of his career. He was meant to be having the rematch with Leather with the vacant British title on the line. Leather is fighting O'Hara Davies soon so Glenn will either fight him or someone else for the vacant belt and it'll very likely end up on a future Matchroom Newcastle show. I'm sure Foot would far rather be 2nd or 3rd fight up here, live on Sky, where his fans can easily attend and where he will be the home favourite than most likely being the away fighter, in a leisure centre, probably not even on TV.

Whether Josh is on the next show or not remains to be seen, hopefully he will be, but if not, even something like this:

Valilly vs Iqbal rematch
Another fight if no Kelly (think Hall is pretty much done now and probably Nella as well)

would be decent enough and would sell and it's not just Newcastle that benefits - there were boxers from Darlington, South Shields, Middlesbrough and of course Sunderland who were involved last night and featured on TV who normally wouldn't get the chance - a bit like Tommy Coyle who took advantage of Luke Campbell's popularity in Hull and the likes 0f Masher Dodd when on a Bellew or Smith undercard an even Josh Warrington to an extent and look what's happened to him sicne making his TV debut in Hull. It's a shame that Frank Warren has a couple of the North East lads, as although someone like Tommy Ward isn't the most exciting to watch, he would have been an OK addition to the cards and could replace Stuey Hall.

The Stuart hall fight man. I knew it would go 12. Spent more time at the bar for that fight TBH.

The Stuart hall fight man. I knew it would go 12. Spent more time at the bar for that fight TBH.

Yeah, McDonnell points was an absolute steal. Stuart Hall's last few fights have all been the same - Haskins, Butler twice and that. He'll very likely last the distance but all the rounds are pretty much the same and it's just not great to watch. I did quite like the Vallily fight even though he threw it away with those points deductions (even more annoying when you had him to win on points), would have got a UD with no points off or a MD win with one off but I suppose it does set up really well for the rematch. Thought he won like 7 rounds, so a 5-5 draw was about right.

Valilly vs Iqbal rematch

Leather-Davies is off and Leather is apprently taking an extended break from boxing

Leather-Davies is off and Leather is apprently taking an extended break from boxing

Didn't realise that, seems strange at 26 when your supposed to have potential but is barely known outside of the north east - should really been in or starting to hit his prime now. Perhaps he watched the Foot fight back a few times or just had a shit camp for this one and didn't have the motivation, but doesn't sound great. That BT card has now turned to shite - what a poor year so far after such promise last year.

Well, a different opponent for Glenn then.

Didn't realise that, seems strange at 26 when your supposed to have potential but is barely known outside of the north east - should really been in or starting to hit his prime now. Perhaps he watched the Foot fight back a few times or just had a shit camp for this one and didn't have the motivation, but doesn't sound great. That BT card has now turned to shite - what a poor year so far after such promise last year.

Well, a different opponent for Glenn then.

The Frampton opponent for Windsor Park sounds genuinely appalling as well. Warren needed to follow up a promising 2017 with a good 2018 but it's been a total disaster so far, haven't put on a single good bill yet and nothing particularly inspiring in the pipeline either.

Back