Lateral flow tests - NHS staff

Any reason why NHS staff are instructed to do nasal only?

The instructions in the box from Innova are for throat and nose, but the guide in the pack produced by NHS just says throat?

I’ve uploaded photos of both sets of instructions but waiting for @RTGAdmin to approve 😂
full

full

Last edited:

Ease of use and reducing distress of the procedure to increase uptake whilst keeping fairly accurate results.

Ease of use and reducing distress of the procedure to increase uptake whilst keeping fairly accurate results.
Are there plans to change the guidance for everyone else to do the same? You’d have thought NHS staff to be most willing to do the voluntary tests. If it’s expected they won’t do the full test then there’s no chance school kids will.

Are there plans to change the guidance for everyone else to do the same? You’d have thought NHS staff to be most willing to do the voluntary tests. If it’s expected they won’t do the full test then there’s no chance school kids will.
I've no idea.
Are the schools being given the Innova instructions and being left to crack on without any further guidance?
My interpretation of the picture you've posted is that there are three different sampling techniques and it doesn't indicate to do all of them, rather it's different methods of getting a sample? From speaking to friends it does appear different schools are managing it differently, with some sending the tests home and others asking children to go in to be tested.

I've no idea.
Are the schools being given the Innova instructions and being left to crack on without any further guidance?
My interpretation of the picture you've posted is that there are three different sampling techniques and it doesn't indicate to do all of them, rather it's different methods of getting a sample? From speaking to friends it does appear different schools are managing it differently, with some sending the tests home and others asking children to go in to be tested.
I also have no idea. It’s curiosity more than anything. I’m required to do home testing and if I don’t have to make myself sick by shoving it down my throat every time then I’m all for it!

My wife ordered a box of LF tests online which came on Saturday. The packaging is different and the company name is not Innova like my nhs provided ones but the actual test with the sample and results window looks identical. I noted however that the instructions are to take a nasal and pharyngeal swab. I had a look in my next box of Innova tests and yes it does give instructions for throat and nasal testing as well as saliva. I'll continue with nasal only until instructed otherwise I think.

School staff were given theirs after Christmas. We were told to ignore the instructions in the box and follow the ones we were given separately.

I've no idea.

my kids have 3 tests at school to start with (assume to check technique ok), then tests are given to be done at home. Looking at info we've been told nose & throat

I've been doing the tests at work. Both tonsils and one nostril at our place.

Back