Las Iguanas - Grub Recommendation

Bario comido opening soon in Durham if you’re a fan of Mexican
Yeah I know. I follow the lad on social media. Gutted he didn’t open in Newcastle. It’ll be brilliant that. Used to love his pop up on the Quayside. Oysters were brilliant as were his selection of mezcal.

He has done a few collaboration nights with James Close at the Raby on a few sundays. Used to get corn flour and other bits from him when he was on the Quayside. Him and his lass are lovely people. Can’t wait till it opens.

Either. They’re both as good as one another. I’ve just got a few tacos on the way home. Try the dorados. They’re superb.

I go in La Casa all the time. You tried his mates wines? Brilliant like. Small batch and unusual.
10 years time Grainger market will be a proper tourist attraction. Love sitting outside and having a few big glasses of red. Wonderful. The market is great at the minute. A few foodie places but still old grannies getting their tripe and balls of wool

10 years time Grainger market will be a proper tourist attraction. Love sitting outside and having a few big glasses of red. Wonderful. The market is great at the minute. A few foodie places but still old grannies getting their tripe and balls of wool
Totally agree. Places will get well established and we’ll end up with family businesses serving your food outside. The likes of meat locker and that who serve crap will be replaced by better. You can see it a mile off. Like you I love it.

I’d suggest next time you fancy South American food in Newcastle then Chuchos is a must. Iguanas is owned by Cafe Rouge. It’s passable as a place but I once ate there and the ‘mexican Tacos’ were made with flour tortillas. 😫

Chuchos. Ah man the tacos are amazing. Their ‘Tacos Dorados De Pollo’ are the best mexican food I’ve ever tasted outside of Mexico. 3 tacos for £9.

Everything is made on site and fresh as fuck unlike Iguanas which is a bought in shop owned by big business. Seriously support small independents doing their own thing.
Chuchos is class. I get in the original Byker one at least once a week. However you need to give the relena tacos a try - black pudding tacos doesn't sound that appetising, but trust me, they are perfect.

Chuchos is class. I get in the original Byker one at least once a week. However you need to give the relena tacos a try - black pudding tacos doesn't sound that appetising, but trust me, they are perfect.
I’m sure Chuchos have done a black pudding one with chorizo. Mainly used to use the one in HWKRMRKT as I was next door but I’ve moved and walk past the Jesmond one every night. Had Huevos Ranchos there a few weeks ago and it was great. I’d recommend the breakfasts like.

Church Street. Wouldn’t be certain on the date but I wouldn’t expect it within 2 months. They don’t seem in a hurry
Yes I've just been looking at it on Facebook because there aren't any commercial properties on Church Street but it's the new buildings opposite Dunelm House. Great location, can't wait.

Yes I've just been looking at it on Facebook because there aren't any commercial properties on Church Street but it's the new buildings opposite Dunelm House. Great location, can't wait.
The lad was chef at Jesmond Dene, he’s cooked a few times At Raby Hunt and got loads of experience but none really of running his own place. BC was class down the Quayside but this will be different. He should absolutely nail it mind because he’s a really clever lad like.

Where/when?
Right next to the student union. Looks a great building tbf, brilliant views of the cathedral
The lad was chef at Jesmond Dene, he’s cooked a few times At Raby Hunt and got loads of experience but none really of running his own place. BC was class down the Quayside but this will be different. He should absolutely nail it mind because he’s a really clever lad like.

In other Durham culinary news, Tom angelsea, winner of great British menu is coming up bank holiday weekend to cook at his brothers place, whitechurch. He’s doing two of his winning dishes from the tv show I think.

Last edited:
I’m sure Chuchos have done a black pudding one with chorizo. Mainly used to use the one in HWKRMRKT as I was next door but I’ve moved and walk past the Jesmond one every night. Had Huevos Ranchos there a few weeks ago and it was great. I’d recommend the breakfasts like.
Aye, that's the one - I meant that rellena is the name of the black pudding taco that Chuchos do, not a different shop.

Went to this place in Newcastle recently and the food was gorgeous -
We went to the one on the Quayside one Sunday evening last month and thought it was neither nowt nor summat.

There was a few empty units last time I was in, I'm guessing it is going through a transition from old style cheap butchers to decent foodie places. The council need to relax the opening times of the market though, especially so people can trade on a Sunday and early evening.

Had the fish tacos there last night- they were fantastic. Shame it's in Byker though.

Back