Laptops

It’s not exactly the governments role to give out laptops though. It would be nice if they did but no one is entitled to one.
It somewhat is their role though. Nobody would argue that the state is absolutely responsible to provide education to children.

If the state then closes the schools, it becomes their responsibility to ensure that education can continue from elsewhere. How they do it is up to them, but if they decide to "take it online", then I'd argue it absolutely is their responsibility to provide the equipment needed to do this.

There's a part of me that says "fuck off, I have to work hard for everything I have". But then I remember I'm an adult and responsible for my own life. Children are not responsible for what IT kit they own. Its not the child's fault. Blaming parents achieves absolutely nothing here.

It somewhat is their role though. Nobody would argue that the state is absolutely responsible to provide education to children.

If the state then closes the schools, it becomes their responsibility to ensure that education can continue from elsewhere. How they do it is up to them, but if they decide to "take it online", then I'd argue it absolutely is their responsibility to provide the equipment needed to do this.

There's a part of me that says "fuck off, I have to work hard for everything I have". But then I remember I'm an adult and responsible for my own life. Children are not responsible for what IT kit they own. Its not the child's fault. Blaming parents achieves absolutely nothing here.

Good post.

I read one article where, when the Government-promised laptops failed to turn up, the head teacher took the school's own Chromebooks and delivered them to those children who had none. The Government's failures are being mitigated by people acting above and beyond.

Good post.

I read one article where, when the Government-promised laptops failed to turn up, the head teacher took the school's own Chromebooks and delivered them to those children who had none. The Government's failures are being mitigated by people acting above and beyond.
That's exactly how Tory government work. Leave the poor people to fend for themselves - its why I dislike charity, in almost every case its people raising money for things that the government should be taking care of.

A Head Teacher was saying on the radio that one of the reasons that more pupils are in school than the first lockdown was because pupils are coming into school because they don't have a lap top at home.

Occurred to me this morning, why aren't Raspberry Pi's playing more of a role here?

Households that don't have enough computers/tablets will almost always have a telly. £10 for a keyboard and mouse, £40 for a Pi.
You only need to open a web browser and you can get to google apps.

Ridiculous that the Daily Mirror feel the need to have to campaign for an appeal for the public to help out needy families that don't have laptops.

Just hard to get I thought? I know of other Civil Service departments who have struggled, as well as NHS Trusts.

There have been global shortages for the last 10 months. A massive run on buying at the beginning of first lockdowns, combined with production facilities being badly held back by closures in the summer. We supply a lot of our customers with hardware and laptops are still a nightmare to get hold of.

Back