Laptop screen replacement

safcforever

Striker
just dropped my laptop and cracked the screen pretty bad
It’s a vaio touchscreen so I can still see the screen but it’s impossible to do anything.
Are they easy fixes that I could do myself? or would I have to take it to a shop?

Or should I just get a new laptop? There’s a lot of stuff on there I need so I’ll have to fight that battle later

I've done that job myself before more than once, its possible to do yourself but you need to find the exact screen replacement for the laptop model you have.

Sympathies, its a right pain in the arse.

Just YouTube on how to swap the screen out on your exact model of laptop. If it's an easy as taking out a few screws and not bonded in then it should be quite straight forward, remove the damaged screen first and search for the screen model number on ebay, could be as little as £30-40. Failing that a local computer shop could sort you out, it's a 15-30 minute job at best

I took mine to get replaced when the screen broke. It looked doable, but incredibly fiddly and seemed like a pretty big risk if I got it wrong for the sake of saving a bit of cash. If you're not already thinking of replacing your laptop, I don't think it's worth it for the sake of a screen.

Take the hard drive out, then take it to a shop - unless you really fancy doing it yourself.

Out of interest, how old is it, and what are the specs? It might not be worth it.

Take the hard drive out, then take it to a shop - unless you really fancy doing it yourself.

Out of interest, how old is it, and what are the specs? It might not be worth it.
I’ve had it like 6 years but it’s still in great more than fast enough and in great condition (except the screen because I dropped it yesterday)

Is it possible to replace it with a cheaper screen, like a non-touchscreen

I’ve had it like 6 years but it’s still in great more than fast enough and in great condition (except the screen because I dropped it yesterday)

Is it possible to replace it with a cheaper screen, like a non-touchscreen
Fair enough, I'd recommend you get a quote from a computer shop, maybe the one next to the Terminus?

Should be easy enough to do, most prob videos on youtube giving you step by step instructions.

What's the model number?

Decided to give it a go.

The “geek” in the computer shop was a f***ing dick. Telling me “replacing the screen won’t do anything” and that “actually I want the digitizer replacing”
That’s all good but can you fix it and how much?
“It’s over 5 years old, so it’s worthless” made the decision easy. I found one on eBay for $45 so I’m almost certain there’s a tread coming in 2 weeks asking how to change a screen :lol:

Was literally about to create the same thread. Im not too fussed about replacing the screen on mine as I have just bought a new one, but need some files off the smashed one, is it possible to get access to what was on desktop, even though I cant actually see whats on the screen?

Was literally about to create the same thread. Im not too fussed about replacing the screen on mine as I have just bought a new one, but need some files off the smashed one, is it possible to get access to what was on desktop, even though I cant actually see whats on the screen?

plug in a monitor to the laptop, the image will replicate onto that letting you sort your files easily. Alternatively, you can pull the hard drive out and plug it into another computer.

Back