Laptop Help

Lipso

Winger
The pin of my charger snapped inside my laptop and as a result won’t charge. It started to give off a bit of a burning smell so I disconnected it from the mains immediately.

I’ve had it in to fix however got a call today to say that when the battery is connected to the laptop, and it’s plugged into a charger at the mains, it won’t charge. The laptop itself still works fine but the battery will just run down.

The fella looking at it mentioned an external charger, which I would be happy to use (charge up the battery, connect it and use the laptop until it runs down and then disconnect, recharge and repeat). Anyone used one before and is it worth it?

He didn’t seem to think so and I’d be better with a refurbed laptop but the one he mentioned had a lower spec and quoted £250.

It’s a decent laptop with decent spec and looking at a new one it would be £700+ when I only paid £400, 5 years ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd get a second opinion tbh.

Got to say though getting 5 years out of a £400 laptop is canny, if a fix ends up being something pricey like a motherboard replacement then I'd probably just get a new one in 12 months interest free.

Last edited:

Got to say though getting 5 years out of a £400 laptop is canny, if a fix ends up being something pricey like a motherboard replacement then I'd probably just get a new one in 12 months interest free.
Thanks for the reply mate.

It’s 8gb ram, intel i5-7200 256gb memory (I think) and looking it seems like laptops have went up A LOT in price. I’ll be honest it’s really only used for Footy Manager and was working a treat still, until the issue. (Was also part of a Black Friday deal from PC World and seemed excellent at the time).

Either way, I’ll be collecting the laptop so a 2nd opinion will be an option.

Personally I'd expect it to last at least twice that time like. I've got a 15 year old laptop that still runs fine if not a little slow.
The pin of my charger snapped inside my laptop and as a result won’t charge. It started to give off a bit of a burning smell so I disconnected it from the mains immediately.

I’ve had it in to fix however got a call today to say that when the battery is connected to the laptop, and it’s plugged into a charger at the mains, it won’t charge. The laptop itself still works fine but the battery will just run down.

The fella looking at it mentioned an external charger, which I would be happy to use (charge up the battery, connect it and use the laptop until it runs down and then disconnect, recharge and repeat). Anyone used one before and is it worth it?

He didn’t seem to think so and I’d be better with a refurbed laptop but the one he mentioned had a lower spec and quoted £250.

It’s a decent laptop with decent spec and looking at a new one it would be £700+ when I only paid £400, 5 years ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Does the bloke know the battery will charge if you bought the external charger? Maybe the battery is fucked and that's why it won't charge in the laptop.

I'd just use it on the cable and save the money if you're happy enough with the laptop.

Last edited:
Personally I'd expect it to last at least twice that time like. I've got a 15 year old laptop that still runs fine if not a little slow.

Does the bloke know the battery will charge if you bought the external charger? Maybe the battery is fucked and that's why it won't charge in the laptop.

I'd just use it on the cable and save the money if you're happy enough with the laptop.
He just mentioned it but then didn’t seem set that it was a good idea but when I said I’d come in and discuss (rather than making a decision there and then on the phone) he said he would look into the external charger option too. The battery charged in another laptop but when he connects to mine and it’s plugged in, it still runs down.

Yeh, I’m happy with the laptop, 100%.

Surely a new charger and power port fitted to the laptop would be cheaper than a replacement. Charging the battery external then running down on the laptop will eventually pagger the battery so all in all ya gonna be paying for either battery replacementa every few months or a new laptop when something else goes wrong.

I got my sons gaming laptop from currys around xmas time last year. That was around £600 but is a decent spec. A canny backup if mine ever breaks 😉

Thanks for the reply mate.

It’s 8gb ram, intel i5-7200 256gb memory (I think) and looking it seems like laptops have went up A LOT in price. I’ll be honest it’s really only used for Footy Manager and was working a treat still, until the issue. (Was also part of a Black Friday deal from PC World and seemed excellent at the time).

Either way, I’ll be collecting the laptop so a 2nd opinion will be an option.
ukhotdeals had one of similar modern spec for about £400 yesterday, might be worth a look if you're not sorted @Lipso

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i thought mine was something special still going after about 10 years. it's practically a desktop now mind as the battery is paggered. ive replaced it once, could just buy a new one i guess but the plastic casing has started to crack where the screws keeping it in place meaning it's a bit.. fragile. but still works really well.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i thought mine was something special still going after about 10 years. it's practically a desktop now mind as the battery is paggered. ive replaced it once, could just buy a new one i guess but the plastic casing has started to crack where the screws keeping it in place meaning it's a bit.. fragile. but still works really well.
I've never had a laptop break on me. Last one I bought lasted well over 10 years, and then I sold it on.
Mind, I don't really move them around much, they get an easy life with me

I've never had a laptop break on me. Last one I bought lasted well over 10 years, and then I sold it on.
Mind, I don't really move them around much, they get an easy life with me

tbh i've only owned one laptop, this one, and honestly a new battery put in and other than the plastic degrading in the casing to the point bits of it are snapping off it works about as well as it did the day i got it. but other people go through them like i go through pints.

Back