Laptop/Desktop Advice

Casper

Midfield
Need some recommendations on what to go for. I currently work on a laptop with 12.5 inch screen, propped up on a stand, its fairly quick but could do with something with a bigger screen and a bit more static.

Would i be best getting a monitor to plug into laptop? Or would it be better to buy an all in one?

Only use it for email and work tasks, no gaming or graphic design etc.

I like the aesthetic of an imac but not sure about using the OS.

Or is there another option I've not heard about? Budget up to £600

You won't get a new Mac for 600 like unless they've released a cheap model I'm not aware of.

Depends what you want.

Do you want a slightly bigger screen of about 17 inches or much bigger around 27 to 32 inches?

You always get more for your money buying a desktop and there easier to upgrade parts but loads of people opt for laptops to use in their front rooms.

Need some recommendations on what to go for. I currently work on a laptop with 12.5 inch screen, propped up on a stand, its fairly quick but could do with something with a bigger screen and a bit more static.

Would i be best getting a monitor to plug into laptop? Or would it be better to buy an all in one?

Mate if you use it for work only and no gaming you can buy pretty much anything and it should run just fine.

When you say static do you mean you'll never have to take it anywhere? If so could I recommend a PC, It would be even cheaper.

But I would definitely not go for anything flash at all. Go to curry's/PC world, tell them what you need it for, they'll recommend something about 400 quid. Happy days.

You won't get a new Mac for 600 like unless they've released a cheap model I'm not aware of.

Depends what you want.

Do you want a slightly bigger screen of about 17 inches or much bigger around 27 to 32 inches?

You always get more for your money buying a desktop and there easier to upgrade parts but loads of people opt for laptops to use in their front rooms.
I'm happy to go refurbished. Im thinking 20" + to be honest. Just don't want the big tower to go with it.

Mate if you use it for work only and no gaming you can buy pretty much anything and it should run just fine.

When you say static do you mean you'll never have to take it anywhere? If so could I recommend a PC, It would be even cheaper.

But I would definitely not go for anything flash at all. Go to curry's/PC world, tell them what you need it for, they'll recommend something about 400 quid. Happy days.
Yeah wouldn't need to move it.

Does your laptop have USB-C? If it were me I'd keep the laptop and get a dock with a keyboard, mouse, and decent sized (27"?) monitor plugged in. Best of both worlds.

Monitors are relatively cheap mate if you are happy with your laptop.

I'm happy to go refurbished. Im thinking 20" + to be honest. Just don't want the big tower to go with it.

PC's are even cheaper mate, the equivalent PC version of a laptop (same spec) is always cheaper. Or you could spend the same amount and get more bang for your buck.

Plus they tend to last longer because they have better cooling fans etc.

Big towers are a thing of the past mate. You can get tiny cubes now that just sit on your desk.

Does your laptop have USB-C? If it were me I'd keep the laptop and get a dock with a keyboard, mouse, and decent sized (27"?) monitor plugged in. Best of both worlds.
Don't think it has usb c to be honest, can it be done without?

Big towers are a thing of the past mate. You can get tiny cubes now that just sit on your desk.
Ill have a look at them cheers

Monitors are relatively cheap mate if you are happy with your laptop.
Probably a very amateur question, my laptop has HD screen when you set it up with a monitor does the clarity suffer?

Last edited:

Probably a very amateur question, my laptop has HD screen when you set it up with a monitor does the clarity suffer?
Depends what you're connecting it with mate? HDMI? Good monitor etc.

On your general point, go for a standalone desktop PC as has been suggested. I'd get the best spec you can though as long as you're not breaking the bank to do it, don't just settle for the £400 PC World recommendation as ultimately it won't last as well and performance will suffer in the not too distant future.

The monitor and Laptop video outputs are completely different.

For example your laptop could be 720 and your monitor 1080p so the monitor would have the better quality image

As said above, doesn’t matter what your laptop screen is. The graphics card in the laptop determines what resolutions it can output. What model laptop is it?

Chances are it can output a much higher resolution, so you will have an even crisper image on a bigger screen (of course it depends on what screen you buy!)

Don't do this

As said above, doesn’t matter what your laptop screen is. The graphics card in the laptop determines what resolutions it can output. What model laptop is it?

Chances are it can output a much higher resolution, so you will have an even crisper image on a bigger screen (of course it depends on what screen you buy!)
Does the laptop need to be open beside it for this to work or can you turn off the sleep on close option and shut it?

Does the laptop need to be open beside it for this to work or can you turn off the sleep on close option and shut it?
Yeah the settings on the laptop can be adjusted to do this.

If you right click on the battery icon in the bottom right hand corner, go to power options, change plan settings, advanced plan settings.

There is a feature in there that will say something like Lid. If you drop down that box it will ask you what to do in the event of the lid being closed and you can choose sleep, hibernate, power off or do nothing.

I have mine set to do nothing and I just rig a HDMI lead up to my TV

you can get normal USB ones, but they are notoriously painful to use and you still need to plug a power cable in, the advantage of USB-C is you can plug one cable in and it does everything. It might not be an issue plugging everything in if you don't move it around that much.

Back