Laptop deals

Fletch

Striker
any good deals kicking about ? need to get daughter (no) one before gets to start college mid sep, so needs to be fairly decent spec also

cheers any help

any good deals kicking about ? need to get daughter (no) one before gets to start college mid sep, so needs to be fairly decent spec also

cheers any help

screen size? budget? college work just document writing or something more strenuous like graphics?

screen size? budget? college work just document writing or something more strenuous like graphics?

bout £500 ?

is 17" the norm for laptops ?

still be for social use but also for college stuff, which at moment ive no idea what would involve - prob just usual word/excel etc

bout £500 ?

is 17" the norm for laptops ?

still be for social use but also for college stuff, which at moment ive no idea what would involve - prob just usual word/excel etc

13-15" is the norm. If you can go for portability as I'd imagine it will be in and out of her bag a lot. An SSD over a mechanical hard drive can make up for a few shortcomings in other departments. Make sure it's got at least a 1920 x 1080 display though.

ah right so 15 not 17", cheers

15" is usually pretty chunky to be carrying around in a bag and tend to have pretty rubbish battery life due to the bigger screen, so she'll be carrying the power brick round too. 13" is better but the trade off is they tend to be more expensive since they need better design to fit the same amount in a smaller space. Minimum spec I'd want is a i3, 8gb ram and 256gb ssd but I am struggling to find a 13" with those specs. If she's doing any design work in photoshop or similar that needs bumping upto an i5.

maybe something like this
DELL Inspiron 13 5000 13.3" 2 in 1 - Silver

and bare in mind you might want to upgrade the memory at some point with something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT...534419262&sr=1-5&keywords=ddr4+ram+8gb+sodimm

I'd steer clear of 128GB SSD as it give you no spare space once the day to day starts mounting up.

so would I. windows plus office can easily run 30-40gb straight away, start using it and it gets close to 100gb very quickly. Then they start syncing itunes, or downloading spotify playlists ect and it's full. Minimum these days is 256gb

I have a Lenovo laptop. It has 8mb of ram in it. It may have come with 4. I swapped the hard drive out and replaced it with a 256 mb SSD drive. It has an AMD 8 CPU in it. I use it to remote on to work. I come down on a morning and switch it on. 10-15 seconds later I have the logon screen up. It's six years old now.

I also have a works supplied laptop that is probably a faster machine. As it has not got SSD it takes ages to boot up.

If she wants to play games on it get her a fast machine.
If she wants to do programming on it get her a fast machine.
If she wants to use CAD/CAM software get her a fast machine.

For everything else get her one for around £300. With the money you save buy her a 32" TV and hook it up to the laptop. Buy a wireless mouse and keyboard.

I have a Lenovo laptop. It has 8mb of ram in it. It may have come with 4. I swapped the hard drive out and replaced it with a 256 mb SSD drive. It has an AMD 8 CPU in it. I use it to remote on to work. I come down on a morning and switch it on. 10-15 seconds later I have the logon screen up. It's six years old now.

I also have a works supplied laptop that is probably a faster machine. As it has not got SSD it takes ages to boot up.

The SSD in yours is what is making it boot up quickly. Your work one will probably be doing quite a bit more in the background. I know our work supplied windows 7 laptops tried to connect to our login servers for ages before timing out when they weren't on site. So their 'start up' times were terrible, even though most of it wasn't actually spent starting up. Windows 10 has fixed that to an extent. It'll still never be as fast as a stand alone laptop though because it has all kinds of config to go through.

Back