Lampard

I dunno your background beyond you being (I think) a Thames Valley Swindon supporter, but I suspect like many of us you had no choice in the matter. It's just the luck of the draw when you're born and bred into it. You're stuck with Swindon just like we're stuck with Sunderland. I'd have it absolutely no other way - I suppose a least we've been lucky enough to have spent so long at the top table. That doesn't make our current plight any easier though.

Nothing to compare it to Mate if you have stuck by it.
I guess if I was a Sunderland Supporter today I would be thinking that we are a big club and sooner than later will start that rise again.
Parallels with Swindon just shite owners unfortunately but with the small club mindset that stays with me is that it could always be considerably worse.
You wouldn’t want to be with us “older generation” Swindon lot when talking about our club after a few beers. Goes from being just miserable twats to heated full on arguments but we all have the club in our heart. Unfortunately I take it too seriously and it’s deep into my life.

He wasnt loyal to the players who he had last year (due to the transfer ban), and the players who came in and under performed for him have no loyalty to him and needed someone to blame. He had no idea how to balance the dressing room. He's very much a child of Mourinho. Its never Lampards fault.

He's a fraud, but its a hard one.

I think on the pitch this season its very much a case of Solskjaer's approach of keeping people together, not disrupting it with too many players, evolution not revolution, is clearly going to win out comparatively. Like, weird season with Covid will exaggerate the importance of the dressing room dynamics. Less time to train, better existing understanding - football-wise and psychologically - keeping people happy: all way more important this year.

On the other hand, Chelsea had a f***ing golden opportunity to accrue lots of really exciting young players at a good price, with much less competition, due to the dynamics of the Covid transfer market and in the long-run that should see them do better.

But aye, a fresh start for everyone is for the best.

Also think Lampard is a fraud generally - never going to be top class as a manager. Don't think he's very reflective at all, as you suggest.

He's a fraud, but its a hard one.

I think on the pitch this season its very much a case of Solskjaer's approach of keeping people together, not disrupting it with too many players, evolution not revolution, is clearly going to win out comparatively. Like, weird season with Covid will exaggerate the importance of the dressing room dynamics. Less time to train, better existing understanding - football-wise and psychologically - keeping people happy: all way more important this year.

On the other hand, Chelsea had a f***ing golden opportunity to accrue lots of really exciting young players at a good price, with much less competition, due to the dynamics of the Covid transfer market and in the long-run that should see them do better.

But aye, a fresh start for everyone is for the best.

Also think Lampard is a fraud generally - never going to be top class as a manager. Don't think he's very reflective at all, as you suggest.
I'm amazed the somebody who played alongside the likes of Makelele, Essien, Ballack etc, or maybe just those three, and played under Mourinho for so long, doesn't seem to comprehend the need for a bit of bite in midfield and the need to control the game. It's just attack attack attack.

I'm amazed the somebody who played alongside the likes of Makelele, Essien, Ballack etc, or maybe just those three, and played under Mourinho for so long, doesn't seem to comprehend the need for a bit of bite in midfield and the need to control the game. It's just attack attack attack.

Tbf, he's probably wondering what the fuck has happened to the best defensive midfielder in the world who is a shadow of himself this year.

The way he sets up a defensive system is absolutely embarrassing though, I agree.

My initial reaction was this was harsh, but then when you look at what’s been spent it was probably inevitable. He had a free pass his first season, but he needed to deliver this season. And the title is really up for grabs this year for a few teams.

Still feel he will do well in management like, think chelsea was probably just a bit much too soon.

Tbf, he's probably wondering what the fuck has happened to the best defensive midfielder in the world who is a shadow of himself this year.

The way he sets up a defensive system is absolutely embarrassing though, I agree.
Probably didn't help that Lampard was seeming ready to let him go in the summer to make way for Havertz.

He might be a young manager learning his trade - but there's no danger Abramovich is going to sit back and oversee them sitting mid table in the Premiership with the spending he sanctioned in the summer.

Chilwell (£45 million), Werner (£47 Million), Ziyech (£36 Million), Havertz (£72 Million) and Mendy (£22 Million) - Eye watering, and it appears they had just as capable if not better players already at the club in Mount, Abraham etc.
£72 million for Havertz Christ.
In some ways it seems harsh, in that you'd think you'd want to give a young manager time to grow and learn. That being said he was only given the Derby job because of his reputation as a player, he then did an incredibly average job, and only got the Chelsea job because of his history with the club. So in many ways he was lucky to be there in the first place. Nowt wrong with him taking the gig, anyone would do it, but he'll have known that it's the kind of place where you need to be doing well throughout. If he wanted a job where he could grow he could have stayed where he was, so he can't really have any complaints. Be interesting to see where he goes next
The Mags to take them down.

Quite liked watching them when they were blooding younger players and they were good as well. Been pushed out for big names who have flattered to deceive.

Not surprised on several levels personally.

1) You don't get too long with Roman.
2) It was a risky sentimental appointment anyway.

Lampard has aged about 8 years in 18 months and was clearly buckling under the pressure. Sounds like the players thought he was shit as well.

All in all it will be reported as harsh, but probably the correct decision for everyone concerned.

Quite liked watching them when they were blooding younger players and they were good as well. Been pushed out for big names who have flattered to deceive.
They were still a soft touch when push come to shove. Finished 4th, but it was a lowly 4th with only 66 points (quite low in comparison to previous seasons). They lost a lot of games. Got embarrassed in Europe, and well beaten in the Cup Final despite taking an early lead - something that's been a big problem for Lampard.

This has been a long while coming really - I said in the summer he'd be lucky to see Christmas.

True but to get a job like Chelsea from it. No way. Only his history at club got him that as they would never sign a manager who did ok in championship
He admitted when he got the job he wouldn't have had this chance at Chelsea if it wasn't for his history at the club.

Perfect storm of his history there, a strong season at Derby, and Chelsea's temporarily reduced ambitions with their transfer ban.

Shame they didn't stick with him but better managers than him have been shown the door for less.

They were still a soft touch when push come to shove. Finished 4th, but it was a lowly 4th with only 66 points (quite low in comparison to previous seasons). They lost a lot of games. Got embarrassed in Europe, and well beaten in the Cup Final despite taking an early lead - something that's been a big problem for Lampard.

This has been a long while coming really - I said in the summer he'd be lucky to see Christmas.

Had work to do but certainly talented. Was a change from seeing the usual overpaid and underwhelming foreign imports.

its always a risky one bringing back an ex player as manager who was well liked by the fans in his playing days. if it goes tits up it can be much more messy..

Last edited:

Back