Lammy get's his way

Possibly the most ill advised and infuriating video the BBC have ever commissioned...

I'm fed up with the BBC's positive discrimination. Despite black people making up only 16% of the UK population every second or third face presenting on the BBC is black. Almost all BBC promotional music is of black derivation, see advert for women's world cup for example.

It's beyond a joke. I have no axe to grind with black people but this pushing of their agenda is embarrassing.

I'm genuinely surprised by some folks opinions, possibly due to living a sheltered life or ignorance.

Is the argument white folk shouldn't give money due to them getting a feeling of superiority by doing so?

How much did you not donate.

On a more serious note, it'd be interesting to see if less people tune in because celebs avoid it as they don't want to be called white saviours or win "rusty radiator" awards... whatever fuckwit presents that. I mean Ed Sheeran trying to raise awareness about the ebola crisis in liberia is now worthy of condemnation aswell :rolleyes:

It would be 10x better if they turned round and said David Lammy in our opinion is completely wrong, we don't apologise for the skin colour of our celebrities and back them 100%.
To be fair, I'd be more likely to donate not to see Ed Sheeran.

How are the Government Officials in these poor African counties going to keep up their lavish lifestyles without our donations?

Imagine telling africans they can't wear suits, they can't play football and they can't drive cars :lol:

That's what I don't get about this whole cultural appropriation thing. I might just misunderstand it but as an example I've always thought of fish and chip shops as being quite traditional in our culture. The one nearest my lasses house is ran by Asians. Now, obviously, I've got no issue with that, they've decided a fish and chip shop might be a good business, fair play to them. But should I be offended by it? Are they guilty of "cultural appropriation" or are they simply running a fish and chip shop, if anything demonstrating integration? I mean, I think afros tend to look daft on white people, but unless they're doing it with the intention to offend I genuinely don't see the issue.

Wasn't his point that the coverage is always depicting Africa as a useless, poverty stricken, corrupt and deserving of handouts type of place. It is always lovely, clean, fresh well meaning white folks who are patronisingly spreading the message.

He may have a point. The Metropolitan elite are the racists.

However, having a go at your average punter in the UK for being racist, he can fuck off. Don't tar us all with the same brush, we are a canny bunch of lads (and lasses)

It's his money you sad twat.

To be fair that might be true, but surely that's the way to go if they want people to, well, donate what is effectively a handout? I mean, if they focused on the positives and showed that some areas are thriving and the people have plenty of money and don't need handouts then no fucker would donate, so those suffering wouldn't get the aid they need.

To be fair that might be true, but surely that's the way to go if they want people to, well, donate what is effectively a handout? I mean, if they focused on the positives and showed that some areas are thriving and the people have plenty of money and don't need handouts then no fucker would donate, so those suffering wouldn't get the aid they need.
I think the media's narrative of Africa is poor.

I'm genuinely surprised by some folks opinions, possibly due to living a sheltered life or ignorance.

Is the argument white folk shouldn't give money due to them getting a feeling of superiority by doing so?

Fuck knows. To be honest I'm pretty certain the poor, starving little kids in Africa and their families who are desperately hoping they can survive will be quite grateful of the donations no matter who makes them or who has turned up to raise awareness. The likes of Lammy might want to think of that before he starts pontificating about how exactly he thinks the programme should be presented

I think the media's narrative of Africa is poor.

Maybe, but again on a programme specifically trying to get people to donate to those in need, there's kind of a requirement to show the poverty side of it. I agree that other programmes should focus on a different narrative, but this one is about maximising donations and bottom line is it'll do that by pulling at the heartstrings and showing the worst, poorest, most in need side of Africa that it can

Last edited:
It may have something to do with the bad publicity that charities have had in the last few years. But just blame brexit.
You've lost me, Harry?

EDIT: I was talking about the video I replied to, not the Dooley one for CR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back