Lammy get's his way

Well people imitate people's funny accents or slang or lack of grammar all the time. That's not just with people from other countries either it's with people from other regions.

And tbf there is a level to which it should be mocked. Only a level but if you're English but insist on not even attempting to anglacise your speech say in the office space I'm going to roll my eyes in condescension. I wouldn't say to my boss I divvent nar for example. But foreigners who can't speak perfect English I mean..... I don't know anyone who would think that makes them unintelligent.

You?
Thickie ;)

Last edited:
I had no issues with the ethnicity of anyone taking part. What I do have an issue with is someone making people giving charitable donations into a race issue, having said that though he does do that with anything he can

David Lammy was black person asking that maybe some of the video clips about black people might have presenters who are black people.

Seems pretty reasonable to me

Must have been a pretty big issue if you decided not to give money?

David Lammy was black person asking that maybe some of the video clips about black people might have presenters who are black people.

I agree that that seems reasonable.

Telling somebody that they aren't needed because of their skin colour, on the other hand, seems downright unreasonable.

I am going to complain to the bbc each time a black presenter is in a majority white country (if there are any left).

And next time a Japanese person wears a business suit I shall accuse them of cultural appropriation.

So there.

I agree that that seems reasonable.

Telling somebody that they aren't needed because of their skin colour, on the other hand, seems downright unreasonable.

It is sensible

30 years ago if the BBC had made a programme about India it would have been presented by a public school white bloke in a crumpled linen suit trotting out cliches about the Mughals

Now the BBC makes programmes like Anita Rani's series about partition, which is excellent. It's not just that it is better ethically, it's just better TV. You can explore issues differently, dig deeper.

There are loads of great black British TV presenters and musicians. It would be great to see them presenting these kind of features. You can argue it ethically, but it would also be better TV.

We all win

It is sensible

30 years ago if the BBC had made a programme about India it would have been presented by a public school white bloke in a crumpled linen suit trotting out cliches about the Mughals

Now the BBC makes programmes like Anita Rani's series about partition, which is excellent. It's not just that it is better ethically, it's just better TV. You can explore issues differently, dig deeper.

There are loads of great black British TV presenters and musicians. It would be great to see them presenting these kind of features. You can argue it ethically, but it would also be better TV.

We all win
Why would it be better? Is a black British presenter more suitable just because he/she is black?

Rani is British. Born in Bradford and lived all her life in the UK. Maybe her Mam or Dad could have done it though.

My issue isn’t with who presents the clips, it was Lammy’s comments about white people. Not the first time he has used race inappropriately in an argument.

Another charity benefits from my money now, I am no better or worse off.

My issue isn’t with who presents the clips, it was Lammy’s comments about white people. Not the first time he has used race inappropriately in an argument.

To be white and British is to be one of the most privileged people on the planet. No-one is dissing you or disadvantaging you.

It's just that there are other voices to be heard. I would like to hear them. Lots of people would.

He's not using race inappropriately. He is talking about race and racism using language that is common to lots of black and asian people

It is just that it is the first time you have heard it. Get used to it

Why would it be better? Is a black British presenter more suitable just because he/she is black?

Rani is British. Born in Bradford and lived all her life in the UK. Maybe her Mam or Dad could have done it though.

Spot on. She is British and Asian

And the story she told work brilliantly because of that. As we learned about India and Pakistan she learned about her family and her ancestors. It was brilliant TV

I took my kids on a similar journey on the 70th anniversary of Partition.

Its win-win. Diversity isn't a zero sum game. No-one is losing here.

Last edited:
I get the bit that seeing the presenter learn about her ancestry would have been interesting (I didn't see the programme but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it).

I get that seeing some more black African presenters might have worked too.

I don't accept telling somebody, who is attempting to raise awareness of people who are dying, that their skin colour means that they aren't needed is remotely acceptable. Deep down I'm pretty sure you know it isn't either.

To be white and British is to be one of the most privileged people on the planet. No-one is dissing you or disadvantaging you.

It's just that there are other voices to be heard. I would like to hear them. Lots of people would.

He's not using race inappropriately. He is talking about race and racism using language that is common to lots of black and asian people

It is just that it is the first time you have heard it. Get used to it

Spot on. She is British and Asian

And the story she told work brilliantly because of that. As we learned about India and Pakistan she learned about her family and her ancestors. It was brilliant TV

I took my kids on a similar journey on the 70th anniversary of Partition.

Its win-win. Diversity isn't a zero sum game. No-one is losing here.

You are right, I have never heard someone claim racism before :rolleyes:

I think he was just virtue signalling to a sub set of people who love blaming white people for everything (who are mainly white themselves) and didn't foresee how far this would go.

I saw his interviews after it happened and he was scrambling around to make a salient point at every turn.

The whole point of comic relief is celebrities bring in crowds, people are more likely to watch because celebrities are involved and therefore raise money.

The pigmentation of skin shouldn't matter. There are plenty of things to criticise in the world before celebrities trying to do something for a worthy cause ffs. Sorry.... white celebrities

There are plenty celebs of African descent who they could send over. The white saviour angle is a fair criticism.

There are plenty celebs of African descent who they could send over. The white saviour angle is a fair criticism.
But isn't it morally right that you don't discriminate against people based on the colour of their skin? If Stacey wants to go, surely we shouldn't say you're the wrong skin colour to help out... No?

Some of these people just seem pre-programmed with this silliness. Bizarre.

Back