1. The forums are temporarily closed for new registrations
    We expect to re-open for new users towards the end of July.
    Dismiss Notice

Lammy get's his way

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Aituk7, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Aituk7

Aituk7 Winger

What's this? :eek:

Western people are more prone to cultural appropriation. Because they live in diverse societies where lots of migrants move to and have wealth to invest themselves in elements of other cultures.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Keawyeds likes this.
  2. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

I usually think he's spot on with a lot of things he says, but I think he may have been somewhat off the mark with his Comic Relief post.
    I work in the charity sector so it's sparked a bit of a debate.
    One of my points about CR is that it helps a lot of people at home, but also a lot of people in Africa, where shock horror - they are predominantly black. We are a multicultural island with people of all skin tones, but predominantly it's white. It's a geographical thing more than anything else. It just so happens that many celebrities are also white and so have ended up going out to CR projects.
    I'm pretty sure a large section of the programme was hosted by Rochelle and Marvin Hulmes last year. Does that count?

3. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Midfield

I don’t understand what the ideal solution is for people who bemoan cultural appropriation is. White Brits only allowed to wear bowler hats, cook meat and 2 veg and listen to Gilbert and Sullivan? How does that promote social integration?

4. Is it OK to use black emojis and gifs?

Aituk7 likes this.
  5. Aituk7

Aituk7 Winger

Bamber likes this.
  6. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

I like to think of it as cultural appreciation rather than appropriation. I'd like to think it's not done with malice aforethought. I happen to think kilts are class. Does that count as appropriation?

Nee Flanders and Swann?! There'll be fisticuffs...

7. OOOSH YEAH

OOOSH YEAH Midfield

If he’s coming out with this imagine what he says in private

8. Aituk7

Aituk7 Winger

The problem is you're addressing this issue as it actually is in reality when it's more about the people who are offended than anything else. The truth is this has only come about because outraged people (who get tarred as left but I have no idea why it makes them lefty to be fair even if they claim to be so) but they run out of things to be outraged about. They have an inner need to prove they care at every turn and to claim points based on the fact they care more than others. In the past if someone went around screaming look at this... IT'S OFFENSIVE. People would go of ffs shutup you're making a pratt of yourself.

Do it on the internet and likeminded weirdos from all over the world flock to your cause.

9. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Midfield

I took it as not only a white/ black argument but as an argument over Western society saving the Africans when they are capable of helping themselves. Which in itself isn’t a horrendous point but it seems that people safe in the UK would prefer people in disgusting poverty to go without assistance rather than seeing well meaning Westerners help in a limited way.

10. OOOSH YEAH

OOOSH YEAH Midfield

Gucci Massive, Scimmy and Aituk7 like this.
  11. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Midfield

Misogynists - you’re worse than Harvey Weinstein for mentioning them

12. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

Sorry, I thought we were harking back to the days of music hall. Thankfully they can stay in the past!

Jabberwocky likes this.
  13. Aituk7

Aituk7 Winger

But neither are "white people",

Why do we have to define everything by race. Didn't a man have a dream about that not happening anymore or am I just imagining things?

And to be fair if we want to talk about cultural appropriation and the michael jackson popcorn gif......... bloke appropriated white skin in his later years..... how dare he! :cool:

OOOSH YEAH likes this.
  14. Metalmicky

Metalmicky Subs Bench

However, it would seem that they aren't as Comic Relief has been at it for over 30 years and the problems persist...

15. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Midfield

Well, don’t think Lenny Henry can fix rampant corruption and systemic tribal conflict in a continent of 1bn people.

I’m not blaming CR like, I think apart from a few who use it to promote their careers they are generally well meaning people who saw/ see reports of people in terrible poverty and tried to help.

The likes of Lammy need to set their sights a little higher if they want to change African perceptions. Africa won’t change until Governments/ corporations stop dealing with corrupt evil officials who flog their countries resources for personal gain while oppressing the masses

16. yorkyexile

yorkyexile Striker

No just just makes you a wrang un

17. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. :lol:

yorkyexile likes this.
  18. That's a ****'s trick. Blaming one's inaction on donating to a worthy cause on one man, and then trying to make that decision look virtuous.

19. duff_man

duff_man Striker

I will always make a donation of £20, the kids take a fiver into school each and then will generally throw a couple of quid into any collections.

Aituk7 likes this.
  20. The Butcher

The Butcher Winger

Why do we keep having to fundraise for them? 40 years of fundraising man ffs.