Lambton Estate development

Elba Park is the old coke works now aye. Pretty nice estate tbf the original houses they put up look a bit dated already but the newer design they changed to are really nice and pretty big rooms for a new build.
Added bonus of the park being literally on your doorstep as well

Is that the david wilson estate? Dont know great deal about durham but location wise it seemed spot on. Bit on the pricey side but as they say location location etc.

That's the one. Bellway are also building on there. Also heard that Durham Council are looking to move some departments into what use to be the club house.

Also some eco houses going up for approx 1.5m

That's the one. Bellway are also building on there. Also heard that Durham Council are looking to move some departments into what use to be the club house.

Also some eco houses going up for approx 1.5m
Is it classed as a good area there? As I say it looked spot on but I know nowt about central Durham. We are thinking about pursuing something on one of the two developments, good schools being a major factor

Elba Park is the old coke works now aye. Pretty nice estate tbf the original houses they put up look a bit dated already but the newer design they changed to are really nice and pretty big rooms for a new build.

Thought it was.
I remember when my relatives, who lived just behind the Elba Park site on Lytham Grange, were informed about the land that Elba Park was going to be built on, having big problems with soil contamination from the coke works.
Hopefully all that has been sorted by now.

Legitimate tax avoidance, what’s not to like ?

There is nothing illegal about the things woollyback commented on either but it says a lot about character. Especially when you sit behind a wall in an enormous estate which is situated in a relatively disadvantaged place and you own a lot of the land in the local area. However you are right and to the letter of the law it's legitimate.

I'm on the new estate on the old Mount Oswald golf course in Durham on a regular basis and the sales rep and builders are saying the same. Plenty of people looking but not buying due to the high prices.

I think they’re not too badly priced actually. Particularly in comparison to Lambton. What are you there regularly for?

We looked them in the early days and pleased we didn’t go with them because A-the were overpriced anyway and B- the layouts wouldn’t work with the family we have now.

Last edited:
I think they’re not too badly priced actually. Particularly in comparison to Lambton. What are you there regularly for?

We looked them in the early days and pleased we didn’t go with them because A-the were overpriced anyway and B- the layouts wouldn’t work with the family we have now.
The cladding on them hasn't aged well at all I don't think. The newer ones are more traditional new builds made of brick.

The cladding on them hasn't aged well at all I don't think. The newer ones are more traditional new builds made of brick.

Yeah they’re the same house types just finished in facing brick instead of timber cladding and render. And that’s because the timber cladding and render design was putting people off from buying them. They look better when brand new in the render and cladding but timber cladding ages very quickly and goes really crap if not maintained.

Is it classed as a good area there? As I say it looked spot on but I know nowt about central Durham. We are thinking about pursuing something on one of the two developments, good schools being a major factor

Snap. We’ve been twice in the last couple of weeks to look at them.

Yeah they’re the same house types just finished in facing brick instead of timber cladding and render. And that’s because the timber cladding and render design was putting people off from buying them. They look better when brand new in the render and cladding but timber cladding ages very quickly and goes really crap if not maintained.

Snap. We’ve been twice in the last couple of weeks to look at them.
Thought the layout was different on the new ones? I remember looking at the first show homes and I'm sure they arent the same inside on the new ones.

I might be wrong like because my interest waned when we moved elsewhere
It was a long while since I looked at the first ones too like. The new ones seem to be really roomy for a new build. Good size rooms and high ceilings. Mind for 320k for the five bed they want to be big.

It was a long while since I looked at the first ones too like. The new ones seem to be really roomy for a new build. Good size rooms and high ceilings. Mind for 320k for the five bed they want to be big.

Yeah the location is pretty crap too to be honest. And as @James will testify too, everything that is crippling the design of our cities, people living far removed from city centres, places of work, places of leisure, and solely reliant on car to get about.

Yeah the location is pretty crap too to be honest. And as @James will testify too, everything that is crippling the design of our cities, people living far removed from city centres, places of work, places of leisure, and solely reliant on car to get about.
I've lived in the area all my life like. Location is what I like about the area 15-20 mins from Newcastle, Sunderland and Durham and in between a19 and a1. I know what your saying about commuting though but my job is mobile anyway.

I've lived in the area all my life like. Location is what I like about the area 15-20 mins from Newcastle, Sunderland and Durham and in between a19 and a1. I know what your saying about commuting though but my job is mobile anyway.

15 to 20 minutes from Newcastle ?

Ha ha , never read anything so daft on here for years .

Thought it was.
I remember when my relatives, who lived just behind the Elba Park site on Lytham Grange, were informed about the land that Elba Park was going to be built on, having big problems with soil contamination from the coke works.
Hopefully all that has been sorted by now.

It was and in full accordance with best practice for contaminated ground. Just don’t dig any holes deeper than 600mm.

Back