Lambton Estate development

People moving into new developments rarely go to the local. Of all the new developments over the last 10 years or so from south Hetton, through Hetton, Houghton, Newbottle, etc, etc had seen a steady declining of pubs and clubs. Very few, if any new faces.
Likely can't afford to go out after shelling out for z new house.

Will do well if that’s the only boozer in walking distance
Unless they fancy risking things by venturing up to the shoulder at Shiney
The estate is open on Sundays and I've done the walk around. It's ok but the 2 bridges over to the castle are closed. Obviously to keep the riff raff away from their doorstep.
Closed now for winter.
Did the 10k for the foundation of light earlier in the year and the bridges were open then.
Will be there later this month for the cross country. Looked like work was being done to the castle last time I was there. Biddick hall looks canny too.

Last edited:
I drank in there for years when I played football for them

Poachers is a canny hike as @Mackem00 says and the Dun Cow is ok but used to be expensive for what it was

Could always have a walk out to the principality and sample what The Shoulder and Tinkers have on offer

The Shoulder is my local. Proper pub. Some right characters get in, I love it. Shame Marcia left, she was a brilliant manager. Snack is a cracking good laugh when he is on form!

The Shoulder is my local. Proper pub. Some right characters get in, I love it. Shame Marcia left, she was a brilliant manager. Snack is a cracking good laugh when he is on form!
Been my local all my life, still love to pop in when I'm back for a visit.

I grew up with Marcia - lovely lass

and aye the characters are what make the place

Back