Lamb at Easter

It amazes me the number of people who dislike the taste of lamb. We love it, and Sainsbury nearly always stock Welsh lamb which is well worth the extra £££’s.
Had it for a Good Friday dinner yesterday…lush! 😋

Lot of my farming clients do not lamb till late April early May so are not selling them until late November till early spring. Tend to get better prices for Lambs post Christmas.

Costs about 100 quid a year per sheep to raise them apparently. Average cost roughly 60 quid up to slaughter. Sell on average for 90 quid. ( might both be a bit more now, figures I saw were 2022).
Butchery from 25-50 quid per sheep so could be 140 quid for a whole butchered sheep before transport/ retail.
They weigh roughly 25kg once prepared. Lamb is anywhere between 5 and 15 quid a kilo but average is about 7:50. less than fifty quid profit in a lamb and that hasn’t accounted for travel/ refrigeration etc.
farms that have good quality and do the whole process themselves will probably reduce the cost and retail at closer to 15 quid a kilo.
In short it’s not that expensive given cost of production.
So why is pork so cheap by comparison? I’m sure the costs are just as relevant to pigs 🤔

Top Weardale lamb. Farms about 200 mtrs from my house.
Logon or register to see this image
past through Willington this afternoon and just before Brancepeth theres someone keeping beautiful Red pigs on the land at the roadside, anyway there was a pickup there today with meat for sale, so I stopped and bought some sausages, and its labelled the same as yours ( D&J Meats) Where's the farm?

Biggest buyers of lamb at the auctions are Muslims for the Halhal butchers - anytime there is a big festival they can spike the price by up to 20%. Without their buying sheep farmers would be struggling even more.

That happened to my Dad when we were hiking in the Cheviots. He was praising the beautiful clean water as he was drinking from a stream, then shortly afterwards upstream, we found a dead sheep in it 🤢

Yeah, it’s not the best feeling in the world. In general the bigger (deeper) the body of water and the faster it’s flowing the safer the water will be.

Slow cooked in the slow cooker, then 20 minutes in the oven to finish it off. All carved now and covered in the fridge ready for tomorrow. Absolutely zero waste, only thing that went in the bin was the bone. Gave the dog a few morsels to whet his appetite.

So why is pork so cheap by comparison? I’m sure the costs are just as relevant to pigs 🤔
A lot is Mass produced in enormous factories basically. An awful lot more meat than a lamb too. That said in 2022 pig farmers were often losing money on each pig because the retail price was so low. For a rare breed pig there’s at most 75 quid profit per pig for the farmer, for bog standard pork next to none.

Back