Lakes or Yorkshire Dales?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Lakes just edges it for me, scenery is spectacular, loads of places where you can still get a sense of wilderness, and, Bowness aside, even the towns in peak season are nice as it gives them a bit of bustle and life.

Mind the Dales is lovely too, and we’re very fortunate to have four national parks and 7 or 8 AONBs within 2 hours drive.

Dales does too mind. I'm down there every other week. Always look at something we want to see. 20 miles away or something. Then google says It'll be 1.5hrs drive.
Don’t mind those drives where it’s because you’re going over tracks and stuff tbh , we often head off the main roads and go exploring - it’s the drives when you’re sat stuck in traffic for ages that get on my wick.

Don’t mind those drives where it’s because you’re going over tracks and stuff tbh , we often head off the main roads and go exploring - it’s the drives when you’re sat stuck in traffic for ages that get on my wick.
Aye generally the traffic moves around the Dales that's true. Got stuck coming out of Janet's Foss (fnar) the other week mind. That was a pain.

Scenery is amazing at The Lakes.
Fewer people in The Dales.

For me the fewer people trumps almost everything else. When I take time off I either want to be busy in my garden renovating my outhouse and the railway carriage, or I want to relax. When I relax I want to go out on long walks with the kids and a picnic. Even better if we don’t encounter any other people.

In a car? The road to Goredale Scar is usually quiet.
I came in from that road to the North and was pretty quiet. But when we got there the area was rammed. Loads of cars. And I timed leaving with everyone else. The traffic going back north wasn't moving so chanced going south which was. Heading back to Leyburn/Bedale so figured I'd just go across to Pately Bridge and up. But 2 mins down the road got stuck. I think I was stuck in all the people heading back towards Leeds/Bradford.

I came in from that road to the North and was pretty quiet. But when we got there the area was rammed. Loads of cars. And I timed leaving with everyone else. The traffic going back north wasn't moving so chanced going south which was. Heading back to Leyburn/Bedale so figured I'd just go across to Pately Bridge and up. But 2 mins down the road got stuck. I think I was stuck in all the people heading back towards Leeds/Bradford.
Not being funny mate but are you sure you mean Janets Foss? (Near Malham).

We're staying in Skelwith Bridge for a few nights in July with a nights stay at the Tan Hill Inn on the way home.

its a good spot, head away from ambleside and upto elterwater, then chapel stile, then up the lovely langdale valley to the dungeon ghyll, over the blea tarn and down little langdale and back round to where you started. class, easy walk, about 4 or 5 pubs along the way, and as quiet as you'll get in central lakes.

also, about 5 mins walk from skelwith bridge is Loughrigg tarn, class spot to just chill out on the grass, good views, have a dip in the water, nice scenery and pretty secluded.

its a good spot, head away from ambleside and upto elterwater, then chapel stile, then up the lovely langdale valley to the dungeon ghyll, over the blea tarn and down little langdale and back round to where you started. class, easy walk, about 4 or 5 pubs along the way, and as quiet as you'll get in central lakes.

also, about 5 mins walk from skelwith bridge is Loughrigg tarn, class spot to just chill out on the grass, good views, have a dip in the water, nice scenery and pretty secluded.
Bookmarked! 👍

Dales deffo , we had a cracking week based near Pickering - lot more variety in terms of drives out , lakes is beautiful but after a week there it’s a bit samey and takes ages to get anywhere unless you’re based in a busy area and we like remote cottages
Thats grand but pickering is not in the dales. ;) its the North Yorkshire moors you're referring to.

Just back from a couple of days in Middleham and have to say I was mightily impressed with The Dales. Gorgeous views, easy to get about and some great walks. Took in the delights of Hawes and quite a few of the other villages.
Was lovely waking up at 6:30 to the clip clip of the racing strings heading out to the gallops.
Definitely gives the Lakes a run for it's money and that's from someone who lived there for 18 months.

Lakes is the most spectacular for sure. Can also get hideously busy. I was in Keswick a couple of weeks ago and it was full of people who couldn't goto ibiza this year. Strutting down Crow Park Road in their gym shark gear.

Dales can get busy too of course but not as bad and way more places to escape to. I've my caravan near Leyburn and love it. But the Lakes will always be number one for me.
I really can't wait for flights to Ibiza or wherever to open up properly so the Instagram posing generation can fuck off back there. Seems 'wild swimming and 'hiking' up the Lakes is their new thing. Getting the money shot with their arses hanging out.
Fuck off and leave the place to grumpy old men in hiking socks.

I really can't wait for flights to Ibiza or wherever to open up properly so the Instagram posing generation can fuck off back there. Seems 'wild swimming and 'hiking' up the Lakes is their new thing. Getting the money shot with their arses hanging out.
Fuck off and leave the place to grumpy old men in hiking socks.

Did a wild camp at High Spy recently near Derwentwater. Walk up was amazing, only bumped into about 3 or 4 others from the bottom of Catbells and the silence was incredible. Walk back down the next morning was like a different world, every man and his dog were on top of Catbells, a few of which were flying about their f***ing drones. I know Catbells is a popular walk but Christ it was infested with day trippers in Nike Air Max and shitty gym vests.
We looked massively out of place with our rucksacks and hiking boots

Did a wild camp at High Spy recently near Derwentwater. Walk up was amazing, only bumped into about 3 or 4 others from the bottom of Catbells and the silence was incredible. Walk back down the next morning was like a different world, every man and his dog were on top of Catbells, a few of which were flying about their f***ing drones. I know Catbells is a popular walk but Christ it was infested with day trippers in Nike Air Max and shitty gym vests.
We looked massively out of place with our rucksacks and hiking boots
Aye Gym Shark vest and blokes who take supplements and tanning oils all over the lakes. In fact it's probably an eco disaster with the posing wankers in the water.

Back