Lakes or Yorkshire Dales?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

The corner where Wastwater, Ennerdale and Buttermere meet is the best part of the Lakes, with the biggest and deepest stuff, and comparatively free of tourists

Going for a week in the South Lakes with parents in late July and then in late August going for a week in North Yorkshire with my lass.

Weird thing is my lass needs to go into work to book time off so it is harder for her to book time off than it is for me. But it is easier for her to get that time off than it is for me. I have WalMartOne so I can book online from my bed on my iPhone if I wanted. But it needs to get approval. It won't just happen in a second.
where does your lass work mate?

Definitely The Lakes and I live in T'Dales. Our Costa closed down, nearest KFC is over in Catterick, for a cheeky Nando's you need to visit Smoggyland and yet the daytrippers keep coming.

Dales for me. Love the little town Settle. Would move there tomorrow.
My mother and brother live down near settle, been a few times canny little place but the Dales pale in scale and comparison to the Lakes for me, the Dales has no mystique and wonder while the Lakes has the cute little town and villages and magical mountains and places to get lost in.

fully respect it gets too busy but thats makes the joy of finding your quiet place all the more there !

Great news. I’ve got the dates planned. HRSS has approved the dates. I’m going to Masham in August. Yesss!
Masham is lovely. You will have a great time.
Go to Johnny Baghdad's cafe on the square - I recommend the Chicken Shawarma.
Spending a couple of nights in Middleham shortly, what's to see and do around there?
Cover bridge Inn. Class spot.
Middleham castle is there but I've never been.
If you're going with kids The Forbidden Corner.
Jervlaux abbey.
Thorpe Perrow is canny.
Aysgarth falls not far.
Loads of walking.

Last edited:
Masham is lovely. You will have a great time.
Go to Johnny Baghdad's cafe on the square - I recommend the Chicken Shawarma.

She changed her mind. It’s now Merthyr Tydfil. It’s where her late dad was born and is scattered. We also want to see Aberfan. Quite a cheery trip then 😂

Although how we are going to get there is anyone’s guess. She wants us both to drive the same car (mine or hers) down via the M6.

Last edited:
She changed her mind. It’s now Merthyr Tydfil. It’s where her late dad was born and is scattered. We also want to see Aberfan. Quite a cheery trip then 😂

Although how we are going to get there is anyone’s guess. She wants us both to drive the same car (mine or hers) down via the M6.
Crazy times marra.

Dales deffo , we had a cracking week based near Pickering - lot more variety in terms of drives out , lakes is beautiful but after a week there it’s a bit samey and takes ages to get anywhere unless you’re based in a busy area and we like remote cottages

Dales deffo , we had a cracking week based near Pickering - lot more variety in terms of drives out , lakes is beautiful but after a week there it’s a bit samey and takes ages to get anywhere unless you’re based in a busy area and we like remote cottages
Dales does too mind. I'm down there every other week. Always look at something we want to see. 20 miles away or something. Then google says It'll be 1.5hrs drive.

Back