Lake Garda / Verona

We stayed in Gardone. Up in the square near that museum, there were a couple of nice restaurants which were better in my opinion than those at the Lakeside. We hired a speedboat from Salo and got lost on the lake. Luckily I recognised that Grand hotel and managed to get back from there. Minchella the ice cream gadgy from shields goes there regularly

Nice hotel...we did a bit hopping about on the taxi boat..

Wouldn’t trust myself with my own speedboat :eek:

Its the Italian lakes so it is full of Gene Kelly's (and germans) .Its mint in a understated way.The transfer takes forever mind .I stayed in Limone and just did the lake taxi,cable car,scooter hire type stuff .

hit and miss because of the mountains

You lose the sun in Limone very early in day as it sits in shadow of mountain. Sun all day best on opposite side of lake.
We stayed in Gardone. Up in the square near that museum, there were a couple of nice restaurants which were better in my opinion than those at the Lakeside. We hired a speedboat from Salo and got lost on the lake. Luckily I recognised that Grand hotel and managed to get back from there. Minchella the ice cream gadgy from shields goes there regularly

Stayed many times in Gardone... used to get taxi into Salo for night out.Also hired boat from Salo ... how on earth did you get lost :rolleyes:
Malcesine became my favourite place to stay.

Last edited:
Nice hotel...we did a bit hopping about on the taxi boat..

Wouldn’t trust myself with my own speedboat :eek:
My mate is a bit of a boat person so we got one. You are only allowed up to a certain size without some sort of licence. It still went mind. We went to pick the lasses up at Gardone but the lake was too choppy for them to get on board. They had to jump on the ferry to Salo to get to a better jetty. Was a right laugh blasting along beside the ferry.
You lose the sun in Limone very early in day as it sits in shadow of mountain. Sun all day best on opposite side of lake.

Stayed many times in Gardone... used to get taxi into Salo for night out.Also hired boat from Salo ... how on earth did you get lost :rolleyes:
Because we were acting like a couple of years. Like kids with a new toy.
My mate is a bit of a boat person so we got one. You are only allowed up to a certain size without some sort of licence. It still went mind. We went to pick the lasses up at Gardone but the lake was too choppy for them to get on board. They had to jump on the ferry to Salo to get to a better jetty. Was a right laugh blasting along beside the ferry.

Because we were acting like a couple of years. Like kids with a new toy.
That was meant to be twats.

Last edited:

Its 14 years since but the sun rises over the other side of the lake from the east so its not in shadow until late surely ?

it was cloudy pretty much non stop anyway

Its 14 years since but the sun rises over the other side of the lake from the east so its not in shadow until late surely ?

it was cloudy pretty much non stop anyway

It was disappearing at tea time in Limone when still shining on Malcesine much later

Went to Limone in June and loved it. Stayed at Alexandra Hotel half board with our room having air conditioning.
Enjoyed trips to The Dolomites, up Mount Baldo and to Verona. There was a trip to Venice but it was a bit too regimented for our liking.
One thing that stuck out was the total lack of litter. Not one bit of discarded rubbish did we see on the streets or in the lake. Only thing we saw in the lake was large brown fish.
Someone wrote about the lack of sun but we had it ok at our hotel as it was not under a mountain.
Wished we had stayed longer.

We loved Simione, really busy during the day then lovely for walking around in the evening when all the visitors have gone back to other areas around the lake, walled city is very picturesque and the bridge into Sirmione is very narrow so not many cars around, we also did Verona and Milan by train both well worth a visit.

Where we stopped....got that old world posh feel.

We were youngest in hotel by decades.
Lots of rich old birds with their " helpers"

Could virtually step off balcony into lake.

Resort just too quiet for us
Honeymoon for me many years ago..we got treat like royalty ...friends went last year said it was still class

Lake Garda is amazing. My folks used to take me every year for a couple of weeks when I was a nipper living at home. We'd drive and take the ferry and use different routes there and back to see different places en route, and stay at the same campsite every year near Peschiera, using it as a jumping off point to visit Verona, Garda, Peschiera itself, Venice, Sirmione etc.

Absolutely awesome place.

This is pretty much what we've done on the two times we've visit Lake Garda.

Ferry over to IJmuiden (Amsterdam) then drive down and back. Mean's we've been through Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Liechenstein and stopped in some amazing places that we wouldn't have seen otherwise. Speyer in Germany was a good stop off as was Heidelberg as well. Visited Neuschwanstein Castle and the surrounding areas one year as well plus had a couple of days at Europa Park which was good.

Back