Lake Garda / Verona

We were gonna book there for our honeymoon, but after seeing Lake Bled in Slovenia, we decided we will go there instead.

Definitely will visit in the future, though.

Lake Bled...

Logon or register to see this image

What Marsey said, except we've done the Bay of Kotor in Montenegro rather than Slovenia. Stunning, reasonably priced and still authentic and quiet if you avoid Kotor itself.

Will do a bit of research on Slovenia now though.

Lake Garda is fantastic...avoid Gardone ( too old and quiet) other resorts are fab

Verona lovely for 2/3 nights ( we stayed at Lake Garda but got hitched in Verona)
The Grand Hotel in Gardone right on the lake is magical .fantastic food and service .it is a very " Grand" hotel..

Did 2 weeks in Italy last month, stopped off in Verona for a day... I wasn’t that arsed about it, the missus liked it. Canny colosseum, few sites from that Romeo & Juliet film.... canny palace, few bridges. We were glad we only did a day there.

Garda on the other hand was fantastic, stayed in Peschiera and mainly used the bus to get about cause it’s faster & cheaper than the ferries. It was some Italian bank holiday when we were there so loads going on every night. There’s a cracking seafood restaurant that was our fave place we ate there el chioso or summit. Malcesine has quite a bit going on. The cable car was good, spent a few hours on the top of the mountains. Bardolino is quite upper class i felt, quite small in comparison to some of the other towns on the lake. Sermione (spl) was really good, Garda (the town) was nice to wind down on. Didn’t think much of Limone, small not much happening, didn’t get the fuss. Trains are cheap and reliable. We flew into Venice then just trained along to Milan. Flew back to Newcastle via schiphol. Canny holiday.

Last edited:
The Grand Hotel in Gardone right on the lake is magical .fantastic food and service .it is a very " Grand" hotel..

Where we stopped....got that old world posh feel.

We were youngest in hotel by decades.
Lots of rich old birds with their " helpers"

Could virtually step off balcony into lake.

Resort just too quiet for us

Where we stopped....got that old world posh feel.

We were youngest in hotel by decades.
Lots of rich old birds with their " helpers"

Could virtually step off balcony into lake.

Resort just too quiet for us

aye i don't want to be surrounded by the blue rinse brigade , thats impression i get with the lakes that its more for the older holidaymaker

fellow italy lovers... lake garda any good or just full of pretentious folk dressed like michael portillo supping expressos and reading the daily mail ?

while on it... Verona is nearest airport , not a city I have visited so seems a shame not to igo there also f decide go to the lakes for a week, is there much to do there for 2-3 nights ?

Lake Garda is amazing. My folks used to take me every year for a couple of weeks when I was a nipper living at home. We'd drive and take the ferry and use different routes there and back to see different places en route, and stay at the same campsite every year near Peschiera, using it as a jumping off point to visit Verona, Garda, Peschiera itself, Venice, Sirmione etc.

Absolutely awesome place.

aye i don't want to be surrounded by the blue rinse brigade , thats impression i get with the lakes that its more for the older holidaymaker

Some of the resorts are busy ( or were when we were there) Bardolino for example.

Gardone while lovely was dead and best avoided if you want a bit life

If you want to be amongst the younger crowd, Riva del Garda or Torbole may be more to your liking. Lots of water sports, mountain biking and other stuff you young types do 😉. Plenty of places to eat and drink and quite lively on a night time.
We used to go there regularly but we got too old in the end so we just stay at home now.
Verona is a fabulous little place but may be a bit sedate for you young people.

Last edited:
fellow italy lovers... lake garda any good or just full of pretentious folk dressed like michael portillo supping expressos and reading the daily mail ?

while on it... Verona is nearest airport , not a city I have visited so seems a shame not to igo there also f decide go to the lakes for a week, is there much to do there for 2-3 nights ?

:eek:

Lake Garda is fantastic, been three times, Sirmione is the best place and the Sunderland fan club is based in a Limoncella shop in Limone. Do SAFC branded limoncella

Some of the resorts are busy ( or were when we were there) Bardolino for example.

Gardone while lovely was dead and best avoided if you want a bit life
We stayed in Gardone. Up in the square near that museum, there were a couple of nice restaurants which were better in my opinion than those at the Lakeside. We hired a speedboat from Salo and got lost on the lake. Luckily I recognised that Grand hotel and managed to get back from there. Minchella the ice cream gadgy from shields goes there regularly

Back