Lake Garda / Verona

Fletch

Striker
fellow italy lovers... lake garda any good or just full of pretentious folk dressed like michael portillo supping expressos and reading the daily mail ?

while on it... Verona is nearest airport , not a city I have visited so seems a shame not to igo there also f decide go to the lakes for a week, is there much to do there for 2-3 nights ?

fellow italy lovers... lake garda any good or just full of pretentious folk dressed like michael portillo supping expressos and reading the daily mail ?

while on it... Verona is nearest airport , not a city I have visited so seems a shame not to igo there also f decide go to the lakes for a week, is there much to do there for 2-3 nights ?

Lake Garda is fantastic...avoid Gardone ( too old and quiet) other resorts are fab

Verona lovely for 2/3 nights ( we stayed at Lake Garda but got hitched in Verona)

Sunshine, outstanding bait and booze, fantastic scenery. It's class.

Shame every hotel we've been in has been a bit dated, and the lake itself is freezing.

We were gonna book there for our honeymoon, but after seeing Lake Bled in Slovenia, we decided we will go there instead.

Definitely will visit in the future, though.

Lake Bled...

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Its the Italian lakes so it is full of Gene Kelly's (and germans) .Its mint in a understated way.The transfer takes forever mind .I stayed in Limone and just did the lake taxi,cable car,scooter hire type stuff .
Sunshine, outstanding bait and booze, fantastic scenery. It's class.

Shame every hotel we've been in has been a bit dated, and the lake itself is freezing.
hit and miss because of the mountains

We honeymooned there mate, bloody lovely place. We stayed in Malcesine but moved around a bit, got the little boats that will ferry you around. Visited Limoncello which was a laugh. There's a gift shop there as I recall run by a MLF. Didn't spend long in Verona mind so I can't help you there.

Seemed to be a fair few Germans around, rather than Daily Mail types. It was all very friendly, I thought.

If you visit Malcesine, you have to eat at Gondolieri - a real family affair of a restaurant and the best food I ever ate in Italy, and at very decent prices too.

Its the Italian lakes so it is full of Gene Kelly's (and germans) .Its mint in a understated way.The transfer takes forever mind .I stayed in Limone and just did the lake taxi,cable car,scooter hire type stuff .

hit and miss because of the mountains
Stayed in Limone late September a couple of years ago. It was canny nippy and rained a lot.

Verona is a lovely city and well worth a few days of your time.

stayed in Bardolino for 10 nights, fantastic place...highly recommend the hotel we used, right in the heart of town, but nice and quiet...fantastic grub anarl.

We spent 2 nights in Verona en route from Venice to Garda by train. The city is well worth a visit although it’s a bit touristy in places. The Roman amphitheater is impressive.

We found Garda boring TBH. Ok so there’s a lake but you can go to Windermere for that.

We were gonna book there for our honeymoon, but after seeing Lake Bled in Slovenia, we decided we will go there instead.

Lake Bled...

Shout for Bled and Bohinj. Been many times as recent as July. Personal preference mind you. Got family there. Looking to buy there but prices are silly.

Every time I've been to the Italian lakes including seperate holidays to Garda, Como & Maggiore it's absolutely pissed down from start to finish.
Done all three and not had much bother with rain at all except as we left Como this year and it was the most torrential downpour I’ve experienced.

Garda was possibly the best holiday we’ve had as a family.
Shout for Bled and Bohinj. Been many times as recent as July. Personal preference mind you. Got family there. Looking to buy there but prices are silly.

Bled was ok for a few days, wouldn’t want much more there. Lake was beautiful and the hotel we stayed in had previously had Trump as a guest. His missus went to school round there iirc

Last edited:
< mr smooth :D

My words were “ tag wedding” onto already booked holiday ;)
When anyone mentions how nice it must have been she is quick to bring up “tag it on” comment

No guests or family invited....had to pay for interpreter and two students to be witnesses.

Still hoping like Jagger/Jerry Hall it might not be entirely legal :lol:

We stayed at Peschiera, good holiday. Pissed down for 3 days but would defo go back one day. Sirmione was lovely. Verona supposed to be really nice, we went to Venice for the day and it pissed down, canals too rough for gondolas so to be romantic got stiffed for 80 euros for a 10 minute motor boat journey down the grand canal off a miserable italian!

I proposed to my missus in Verona, it's a lovely litle city. Probably only need a couple of days there.

Lake Bled...

We were going to married in that church on Bled island until I read that it is tradition for the groom to carry his future bride up the 130 or so steps to the church so I thought fuck that!

I've still visited there a couple of times though. A stunning place.

We were going to married in that church on Bled island until I read that it is tradition for the groom to carry his future bride up the 130 or so steps to the church so I thought fuck that!

I've still visited there a couple of times though. A stunning place.
99 steps

Back