Labrador Retriever

Discussion in 'SMB' started by houst69, Dec 5, 2018.

1. houst69

houst69 Striker

Who owns one on here? Good dogs? Looking at getting a puppy

2. anth

anth Midfield

lovely dogs, but they need exercise and stuff to do or like any dogs, they will entertain themselves, which often means chewing/destroying things they shouldn't.

mysticmackem likes this.
  3. Kent_Mackem

Kent_Mackem Striker

I'd love one. Maybe a short haired version though. I've wanted a dog for 25 years. It's just never been practical and wouldn't be fair on the dog. I'm very shortly approaching a time when it will be practical and I can't wait.

4. HABA87

HABA87 Winger

Leading cause of dog bites in the UK IIRC.

You'd be better off with an Akita or a Pitbull IIRC.

THELORDRODWELL and Flared Hicks like this.
  5. Boz33

Boz33 Winger

Got a Labradoodle, smart as a whip, easy to train and no moulting.
    Needs loads of exercise and constantly jumping in water and mud etc, so if you're a lazy bastard that doesn't wanna walk miles don't bother with any sort of lab:lol:

6. Jukebox

Jukebox Midfield

My mate used to keep Labs, cracking dogs but prone to going fat if not given enough exercise but that can be said about most breeds, and owners as well. We are getting a Flat-Coated Retriever next year to keep our Welsh Terrier company. Similar traits as a Labrador, needs plenty of exercise and easily bored, should be fun.

garyswc likes this.
  7. The Voice Of Reason

The Voice Of Reason Striker Staff Member Contributor

Me ( see pics )

Best dogs ever

TK-421, xmfd and conrad like this.
  8. lenshack

lenshack Winger

If you want a good mannered , docile, loving dawg look no further than a Golden Retriever.

Farfrom Athletic likes this.
  9. Best in the World Mate.

Sound advice though. Go through a working dog breeder if you can. Decent pedigree etc.
    They are stronger and less prone to typical Lab issues of weight gain, arthritis etc.

This one in picture is 40 kg of pure muscle and soft as anything.
    Was the biggest in the litter and Dad and Mum both Working Dogs.
    Dad Fox Red and a Field Champion and Mum Golden. Met his Mum and was in the pen (barn) with her and the puppies. She was an absolute beauty and had no problem with me in with the puppies.

Labs are clever, loyal and a wonderful temperament.
    Easy to train.

You won’t regret it.

TK-421, Adamsy, conrad and 1 other person like this.
  10. Headingley Slog Fest

Headingley Slog Fest Central Defender

Get a Bullmastiff

Big and soft, don’t need much looking after and are happy doing their own thing. They are big like but soft as shite and make great family pets.

We’ve had 3 and we love them.

jedi_toaster likes this.
  11. MickeyV

MickeyV Midfield

We've always had Golden Retrievers, which are temperamentally similar. They shed hair like snowdrifts, but Labs don't seem so bad. They are both very intelligent, loyal and easy to train, but need a fair bit of exercise if you don't want one that waddles! My tip would be to get a big comfortable bed for your pup, so its default position is to stay there. Get some toys and stuff too, and reward him/her when they go there. It's like having an off-switch, which you need sometimes: if you are busy doing stuff and have a demanding dog, you will soon fall out!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Toronado, conrad and Fletch like this.
  12. Fletch

Fletch Striker

labs are great dogs but as others said, have loads of energy , good choice if you have young kids around though. Ive had a golden retriever and he was absolutely class with kids , similar temperament although I'm biased and prefer goldies

< work full time ? kids around the dog ? time enough to give it a decent walk every evening and morning ?

13. townieftm

townieftm Subs Bench

Would be my dog of choice if I didnt work all day Monday to Friday without doubt

14. Get a Siberian Husky. Soft as shite and mad as cheese.

15. hefty em

hefty em Striker

Was playing with a lab/husky cross pup last week. Cracking doggy.

Evil Jimmy Krankie likes this.
  16. socrates

socrates Striker

Ive got one coming up for 10yrs old and fit as a lop.

Easy to train. Very nice nature. Great with kids.

Need lots of exercise, play time to keep them occupied. Keep the training ongoing and youll be amazed what they can do.

DON'T get one unless somebody is around for them all the time.

Thought yours were Golden Retrievers?

17. Per head, the winner is a dachshund.

18. The Voice Of Reason

The Voice Of Reason Striker Staff Member Contributor

They are mate

19. Fantastic dogs. Mine is 11 and on his last legs but the most loving fella you could ever wish to meet.
    As has been said though, be prepared to it needed loads of exercise and also eating until it bursts, given half the chance.

20. Skiddaw

Skiddaw Winger

<<< top dogs