Kyril Louis-Dreyfus Interview

I'm honestly ok with him not being the person who engages with fans on behalf of the club. I think for the most part, it's very rare that good things come of stuff like that. More often it becomes a stick to beat them with. I'm all for fan engagement, just without him having to shoulder the burden of how to talk to us, having his every word scrutinised etc.

One of the things I thought Ellis Short got wrong was being too reactionary and quick to bow to what we wanted. Whether it be the manager or the signings, he seemed to make a lot of his decisions based on what we were agitating for.

I prefer someone with a good strategy, not someone who listens to us about how to run a football club, because the chances are we'll be wrong an awful lot of the time.

I think if you can get it right, it can work quite well. If you go down the Donald front and speak constantly for your first few months, then yes, it's going to be used against you. I don't expect monthly, in-depth interviews, but some occasional communication would be nice. There are going to be times where we want to hear from him directly, so setting up those channels early doors and making sure they work properly wouldn't be a bad idea IMO. It's not about taking advice on how to run the club, it's about being open and explaining directly to fans what's happening at the club and why.

To be honest I've found there were far too many people willing to ignore the true spirit of how we've been run for a long while.

Short, Donald, and Methven conspired together to use a huge chunk of the club's money as working capital in their deal - for their own benefit - rather than on running costs for a football club at risk of going bust.

They were all incompetent, opportunistic, arrogant, and ultimately, they all expected that the football club would carry the can for at least some of the debts they accrued running it badly. They all talked about the football club as if it was somehow a poisoned chalice, that it was a sentient being at fault for it's own problems, or that we as fans were the problem. The uncomfortable truth for all of them is that 'it' is actually a company that they - along with Sartori - all had complete control of at one point or another, and that all of it's problems boil down to the quality of their ownership and the people they appointed into positions of power.

They should all go down as people who took us to the brink of extinction and who actively caused the worst 6 years in our history through their mismanagement. Anyone sticking up for them is in complete denial.

Onwards and upwards, I have a much better feeling about our new owner.

Not a Sunderland fan however I think this is the best post that would describe both the intention and actions of the previous incumbents.
Heartbreaking isn’t it that the fabric and biggest asset that the football club has, it’s very own fanbase, has been neglected and made to suffer by the incompetence of these shysters. Please though never lose the fact and I have banged on for years on this message board that YOU the Supporters are without doubt the reason why the new investor has come. The potential is massive.

Now is the time (Starting Wednesday after you have played us) to go on that incredible and prosperous journey back to the promised land.
Good on you Mate and the rest of the SMB’ers.

😂🤣😂🤣

I dunno if you’re just completely taking the piss, but I actually agree 😂 it’s a bit like Peter Jones and his ridiculous socks on Dragons Den 😂 those sort of absurd “look at me” colours really do say something about the mindset of the wearer.
I’ve been down here 38yrs marra. Remodeling these twats houses. I’ve seen the rise of the purple trouser first hand. The guards regiments wore them initially then thought better of it once the old etonians tried em on.
Do a search there’s southern based journos made good money out of articles on these twats.

People didn't warm to him but he seemed to expose our marketing department as complacent and amateurish

I took issue with this view after people watched STID 2.
They may be shite for all I know, but I saw him for what he was immediately, as I've worked with his type.
All he wanted was for them to say all his ideas were mint, he didn't actually want any other ones.
I bet he had worn them down long before that footage was shot.

Back