Kubix Festival

Yes but thats all it was. A local scene playing to the converted but with sweet FA interest elsewhere. Put a bill that like on Kubix & nobody will come. I posted in response to complaints about retro music being the be all of NE festivals and those bands are the reason why.

Those bands are the reason why no one will go to a festival in the North East unless it's full of bands from the 70s?

Really hope it's on again the Saturday was excellent and I was shocked how good the rats were.Buzzcocks I love but they were blew out with the rat the Undertones were excellent let's hope we get to see it again next year.If not ell done lads for your efforts this year. It was an excellent effort and yous should be proud what you'd achieved the day was enjoyable and this is from a festival old timer

I'd argue it did have thriving music scene when I was 15-18 like. In the 00's there was a thriving music scene in Sunderland, with loads of great gigs. Futureheads, This Aint Vegas, Golden Virgins, Field Music, Written From Negative, Maximo Park, 3rd Planetarium, The Unit Ama. All playing with loads of national and international acts of a similar ilk in Ashbrooke, Bar 36 and Pure at the time.

I moved to Leeds at 18, and although there were a lot of great shows and venues here. It never had the unity of the music scene that Sunderland had at that time.
3rd Planetarium! There's a blast from the past!

Saw them upstairs in Pure - I reckon 2005 - then went and bought me first guitar the next day!

Some inspiration that :lol:

It's like they've fallen into the trap of booking band's they want to see instead of booking band's that sell tickets. The same thing happened with The Point.

They kept booking indie bands from the 90s that were nothing more than a nostalgia trip and were complaining that nobody in Sunderland appreciated music!

Really hope it's on again the Saturday was excellent and I was shocked how good the rats were.Buzzcocks I love but they were blew out with the rat the Undertones were excellent let's hope we get to see it again next year.If not ell done lads for your efforts this year. It was an excellent effort and yous should be proud what you'd achieved the day was enjoyable and this is from a festival old timer

Wouldn't argue with any of that..Obviously you're not gonna' please everyone,but the first three acts Blockheads/Buzzcocks/Undertones/ were all people I was heavily into as a kid so couldn't have been happier..I've seen Buzzcocks play that same set 3 times in the last 4 years now,but they seemed to be genuinely enjoying themselves on Saturday,and I thought it definitely rubbed off on the crowd for me..All the acts were entertaining,and similar to yourself was knocked out by how good the rats were and in particular Bob's voice..I'm seeing them again at another festival in just over a month or so..And for all I'm sure they'll likely play the same set again,I'm really looking forward to them now..Hope the naysayers don't deter them and they do it all again next year.

Does anyone know what the end result was then? Did they make enough money to reprise it next year, or did they get burned? I notice they haven’t even bothered to take any of the adverts down, including that trailer on wessington way.

I notice they haven’t even bothered to take any of the adverts down, including that trailer on wessington way.
Just thought that last night. A bit half arsed.

The problem is where do you go from there?
For those of us of a certain age, Saturday was absolutely the best day’s festival line up anywhere in the country this year.
Punk / Ska orientated? Stranglers, SLF, the Beat, Selector, Specials?

It's like they've fallen into the trap of booking band's they want to see instead of booking band's that sell tickets. The same thing happened with The Point.

They kept booking indie bands from the 90s that were nothing more than a nostalgia trip and were complaining that nobody in Sunderland appreciated music!

Putting on new bands will make you skint quicker than spending every day in the bookies. Believe me, I know.

These sorts of bands have a following and a potential for the event to be successful as there's not enough young un's in this town into live music and folk from outside won't travel to Sunderland.

They couldn’t afford the specials. Not sure they could afford fingers or the stranglers either.

My mate booked the bands for it (I found out after) and he's put the Stranglers on a few times up here. Probably just tried someone different.

Last edited:
I’ve no idea how the monies get split between the bands for these sort of events, but I’d be surprised if many bands who cost you upwards of £25 at the academy would want to play at a gig where people are only paying £30-40 for the day. How much did the blockheads get once it was divvied up between them all, for instance?

Does anyone know what the end result was then? Did they make enough money to reprise it next year, or did they get burned? I notice they haven’t even bothered to take any of the adverts down, including that trailer on wessington way.
Still one of the adverts up in team valley on the way to work

Back