Kubix festival, herra park

I wish someone would put a more contemporary festival on like, nearly every festival/music event that Sunderland puts on seems to cater to the 80's/90's scene. Don't get me wrong I love some of the music that came out of those era's but it's a bit niche.

I wish someone would put a more contemporary festival on like, nearly every festival/music event that Sunderland puts on seems to cater to the 80's/90's scene. Don't get me wrong I love some of the music that came out of those era's but it's a bit niche.

Music has been shit since then so I can see why

Split Festival? It died on its arse and they resorted to 'safer' bands like you mention in order to pull in the numbers.

Undertones Paul McLoone and Derek Hussey the Blockheads.
Who?
If I was an undertone I’d do festivals only. Everyone would want them. Minimal rehearsals reqd, don’t spend much time in each other’s company, meet up with the members you get on with and ignore the rest, meet up with other bands, get paid, free booze. I’m amazed they don’t get back together properly.

People who chose not to support Split festival should be ashamed of themselves imo. The weather even for the Mowbray Park one was tremendous and in lovely surroundings and a cracking day was had by all.
Yes, its a massive shame Split isn't still going. It was a brilliant festival and had a lot of thought put into the acts who preformed. I'm pleased that the Sunniside Festival is on now but, to date, none of the acts have caught my imagination - looking forward to seeing who's on on the Saturday.

Split Festival? It died on its arse and they resorted to 'safer' bands like you mention in order to pull in the numbers.

Split festival was largely local and unknown names though with the exception of one or two headliners. As for dying on its arse, it died because they had nowhere to host it following the year it was at Mowbray did it not?

Split festival was largely local and unknown names though with the exception of one or two headliners. As for dying on its arse, it died because they had nowhere to host it following the year it was at Mowbray did it not?

Suspect it was hemorrhaging money. They were virtually giving tickets away for that final year, reduced price tickets, two for one deals etc.

The one I went to wasn't that at all - Public Image Limited, Pulled Apart by Horses, King Creosote etc. It was fantastic and got the balance right.

Back