KPMG's Bill Michael resigns after telling staff to 'stop moaning'

That’s not the case for many KPMG employees I’d imagine. About half of them will be young’uns, new to the world of work, probably stuck in a shared flat somewhere with a few other people and trying to work from a laptop sat on their bed.

They’ll also be flung from project to project not meeting their team, managers or clients in person.

It will impact people.
Same thoughts. We had interns on zoom calls. We have grads stuck in flats in Tower blocks. One of my juniors is stuck in a flat share with two nurses and is constantly isolating. It's f***ing soul destroying.

What he said is appalling tbh. My firm has been amazing at dealing with this.

Very much up or out still where I am. Recently made it past the latest time out point with a promotion :lol:

The pandemic has brought work-life balance into much sharper focus though. No different for me mind as I just crack on as normal. Mindful of various team members lives though.

Ive just moved above the scum line. As of last Friday no more client facing work as I’ve moved internal. This is my first Friday in years I’ve not had to be doing all the pipeline, forecast and time recording shite. Bliss

Very much up or out still where I am. Recently made it past the latest time out point with a promotion :lol:

The pandemic has brought work-life balance into much sharper focus though. No different for me mind as I just crack on as normal. Mindful of various team members lives though.
I was never the personality for that sort of environment. It doesn't breed a decent cohort of colleagues IMHO. The ones that get up the greasy pole are single minded (autistic) or psychopaths.

I was never the personality for that sort of environment. It doesn't breed a decent cohort of colleagues IMHO. The ones that get up the greasy pole are single minded (autistic) or psychopaths.

I am a sociopath.
Ive just moved above the scum line. As of last Friday no more client facing work as I’ve moved internal. This is my first Friday in years I’ve not had to be doing all the pipeline, forecast and time recording shite. Bliss

I’ve just cancelled two client calls today after Bill’s inspiring comments.
Same thoughts. We had interns on zoom calls. We have grads stuck in flats in Tower blocks. One of my juniors is stuck in a flat share with two nurses and is constantly isolating. It's f***ing soul destroying.

What he said is appalling tbh. My firm has been amazing at dealing with this.

Have a range on my team that I line manage. From a new grad up to experienced devs in their 50s.

It’s a challenge getting it right for everyone.

Last edited:
Suicide rates amongst working age males is through the roof

This isn’t a good post at all
I'm not arguing about that, like I've said, depression is real and deadly and this pandemic will make things worse...but look around us today, people who are claiming to be stressed and depressed, are they really stressed, or could they sit back and take a reality check about their lives, and compare it to the millions of others who are really in a worse situation, with no sign of getting out of it and actually realise their life isn't so bad at all, and more than likely they believe they're in a stressful situation because of what society has become.

With clinical depression, again, this is real and needs to be managed correctly...but again, are all people who claim to be depressed actually suffering, or just saying it...i went to the doctors after the breakdown of my 1st marriage, he diagnosed me with depression and offered anti-depressants...I wasn't depressed I just needed time to get my life back on track and change my plans and simply needed time off work to do it, and a sick note.

Society and the way we have evolved is causing us undue stress, start concentrating on No1, when things start to really get on top of you take it all back to basics. I learnt myself about the 1m2 rule from experience, where if you're becoming stressed concentrate on the 1m2 around you, i.e., don't worry about things you cant control and look after yourself, don't worry about anything that is outside of that 1m2, the more we do that and care less about all those material possessions, care less about what others think of us and more importantly stop worrying about what you cant control, but manage the situation, the better mental state you will be in.

I am a sociopath.

Have a range on my team that I line manage. From a new grad up to experienced devs in their 50s.

Yes client calls are one of the many things I’ll be overjoyed at not doing again. That and f***ing 4 hour design thinking workshops virtually with the banks

I am a sociopath.

I'm the only one on my team with kids. I don't want special treatment in any way but me being off the desk for half an hour doing home schooling isn't any different to a grad dialling in an hour late becsise they got wasted.

Management is just tricky.

I'm the only one on my team with kids. I don't want special treatment in any way but me being off the desk for half an hour doing home schooling isn't any different to a grad dialling in an hour late becsise they got wasted.

Management is just tricky.

Had a 50 odd year old asking me if it was ok for him to take time out one afternoon to get his covid jab :lol: Same age as my dad.

“Just to be clear, just tell me you’re doing stuff like that. Don’t ask me.”

Had a 50 odd year old asking me if it was ok for him to take time out one afternoon to get his covid jab :lol: Same age as my dad.

“Just to be clear, just tell me you’re doing stuff like that. Don’t ask me.”
Same. Mind if I go and get a fag? No mate I don't care. Just go but if you do, tell me. Its fine.

I'm not arguing about that, like I've said, depression is real and deadly and this pandemic will make things worse...but look around us today, people who are claiming to be stressed and depressed, are they really stressed, or could they sit back and take a reality check about their lives, and compare it to the millions of others who are really in a worse situation, with no sign of getting out of it and actually realise their life isn't so bad at all, and more than likely they believe they're in a stressful situation because of what society has become.

With clinical depression, again, this is real and needs to be managed correctly...but again, are all people who claim to be depressed actually suffering, or just saying it...i went to the doctors after the breakdown of my 1st marriage, he diagnosed me with depression and offered anti-depressants...I wasn't depressed I just needed time to get my life back on track and change my plans and simply needed time off work to do it, and a sick note.

Society and the way we have evolved is causing us undue stress, start concentrating on No1, when things start to really get on top of you take it all back to basics. I learnt myself about the 1m2 rule from experience, where if you're becoming stressed concentrate on the 1m2 around you, i.e., don't worry about things you cant control and look after yourself, don't worry about anything that is outside of that 1m2, the more we do that and care less about all those material possessions, care less about what others think of us and more importantly stop worrying about what you cant control, but manage the situation, the better mental state you will be in.

I'm not sure depression cares whether some people have it worse

I'm not sure depression cares whether some people have it worse
Depression and stress are two different things, one has a negative impact on the other, but stress can be managed easily imo.

The problem comes from not dealing with stress and letting it snowball, this will eventually manifest in a breakdown, or for those suffering depression, possible suicide.

Society doesn’t deal with stress anywhere near as well as it should, and the way we are evolving is actually making it worse, in particular putting extra pressure on young people and you’re seeing that in suicide figures.

Im not taking stress etc lightly, Ive suffered myself but listening to an Ant Middleton podcast recently n he was slating what a nation of fannies weve became, with dogshit excuses for underperforming at work n taking zero responsibilty. I had to agree with some elements.

This x10000

I know where you're coming from but how people deal with situations isn't universal.

Something that is like water off a ducks back to me could stress you the fuck out or vice versa.

With depression there can be genetic and neurological factors at play, it's not just a case of sucking it up or getting a reality check.
Yep ,you can argue whether someone should get stressed or depressed but what stresses one person out doesn't stress another
Money and trappings don't kill stress or depression
Depression and stress are two different things, one has a negative impact on the other, but stress can be managed easily imo.

The problem comes from not dealing with stress and letting it snowball, this will eventually manifest in a breakdown, or for those suffering depression, possible suicide.

Society doesn’t deal with stress anywhere near as well as it should, and the way we are evolving is actually making it worse, in particular putting extra pressure on young people and you’re seeing that in suicide figures.
So stress isn't easily managed then if people are having breakdowns
I've had a stress in my working life 40 years
It's a doddle for me
Probably why I do my role and not the other bloke
We're all different

Last edited:
I’d agree with the position that taking steps to proactively manage stress, anxiety and depression really do help.

I’ve had to do it myself and gotten pretty good at it, but it’s a constant battle.

What you need to recognise though is that the pressures you’re facing aren’t the same as everyone else and for whatever reason, the barriers to starting to take those steps are higher for some. And the effort needed to maintain your mental health is higher for some, or your capacity to do it is lower.

I think that’s what Bantz Middleton and his creepy fanboi on here don’t quite realise.

Yep ,you can argue whether someone should get stressed or depressed but what stresses one person out doesn't stress another
Money and trappings don't kill stress or depression

So stress isn't easily managed then if people are having breakdowns
I've had a stress in my working life 40 years
It's a doddle for me
Probably why I do my role and not the other bloke
We're all different
It is easily managed, but if you’re not managing it yourself you must reach out for help. Many people suffer in silence and that only ends ups making things worse, that’s why it’s important to seek help for stress. I was close to a breakdown last year, new role where I thought I must impress, taking on too many projects and working stupid hours, as soon as it started to affect my home life then that was the trigger for me to seek help.

Get help, speak to someone and never suffer in silence is the key.

Back