Knee Support

Bigfoot

Midfield
Well as the thread title says. I've started doing more running, trail runs, I start at Shipwrights on the river and run through the woods. Anyway, I have previously done quite a bit of weights so I'm quite heavy, about 17 stone atm, and I'm also near 55 year auld, combine those and it's taking a bit of a toll on my knee, right knee, left ones fine. So, does anyone have a recommendation for a good support, I got an elasticated type one but I don't think it's enough. I'm actually quite enjoying it so I don't want to give it up for a bit pain. Cheers.

cod liver oil... take a 1000mg capsule every day.. this lubricates the joints... I use the supadrug knee support cheap but it does the job.... good luck mate...

I’ve arthritis in my right knee, running is a non starter but I can do daily stuff and gym using one of these.

the straps help it stop from falling down and I find the support fairly good.
Worth a try for a few quid.

As someone who's had knee troubles for best part of 20 years, no support will actually do much to help. There's a reason they're know as brain bandages.

Best thing I can suggest is to buy a good pair of running shoes.

Well as the thread title says. I've started doing more running, trail runs, I start at Shipwrights on the river and run through the woods. Anyway, I have previously done quite a bit of weights so I'm quite heavy, about 17 stone atm, and I'm also near 55 year auld, combine those and it's taking a bit of a toll on my knee, right knee, left ones fine. So, does anyone have a recommendation for a good support, I got an elasticated type one but I don't think it's enough. I'm actually quite enjoying it so I don't want to give it up for a bit pain. Cheers.
Firstly, I’d say it’s a good idea to drop some weight. A calorie deficit and doing more low impact exercise such as walking will help reduce the overall load being placed on your knees and then as the weight decreases gradually ramp up the running. And you’ll definitely see an improvement. I guarantee that.

Secondly, I’d always suggest doing some resistance training in the form of things like squats and lunges. You don’t have to go insane with these in terms of weights, you can start with your body weight and it’ll help build up the quadricep muscles, which will give your knee natural support and it’ll also help with your hamstrings which will give your running a massive boost.

In terms of supplements, I’d just take fish oil and L-glutamine. It’ll help your joints massively.

I’ve arthritis in my right knee, running is a non starter but I can do daily stuff and gym using one of these.

Yeah I've got one of those but think I might need something sturdier.
Tbh mate you would be better off cycling or rowing. Less impact especially if you are overweight
Yeah I cycle a lot, it's probs going to be mainly cycling I think.

Last edited:

Glucosamine with chondroitin and use organic turmeric as much as possible. Good nightcap is 20ml almond/oat/soya milk quart tsp turmeric with pinch black pepper

After years of running my knees told me it’s time to stop.
Had MRI scan on both knees and advised to stop or an operation would be required.
Stopped footy and running immediately
Was advised to take glucosamine for 6 months.
Have taken omega 3 for over 15 years now.
I’ve zero knee pain now and walking out he stairs is a joy compared to before.
Seriously think about your knees and what your doing to them, low impact exercise
The doctor told me any support on my knee is worthless all is does is make you aware of the problem more it won’t help the issue.
Used to love my running and wish I could do it again, but my bones don’t agree.

had arthritis in left knee for about 10 years now ( forced me to stop football ) still been running and gym work, knee clicks a lot after being stationary when begin to move ( ie lying on sofa watching telly ) .
been taking glucosamine for about 15 years or so now, but last 2 days at gym ,knee seems to have gone. today last part of routine couldn't even do one revolution on bike, left knee just couldn't do it- have taken pain killers ( as it hurts ) and got ice-pack on at moment, so any advice ? Have stopped running to once a week, only about 3/4 miles or so on a saturday morning.
should i go to docs ( well aware got other priorities at moment) on pretext of getting mri scan ?
stop running altogether, persist with gym work but get reassessed on programme ?
or drink ?:cry:

Back