Knackered speed signs

TexasMackem

Striker
Anyone noticed the alarming abundance of non-working speed signs all over the place in Sunderland at the minute? There' s at least 3 at Hall Farm/Doxy (2 have never worked), one at the Barnes has been removed, another in Ivanhoe Crescent has been re-situated on the other side of the road.

Why would I possibly want to maintain a speed of 30mph or under without the positive reinforcement of a light up smiley?

And more to the point, if this is what my tax money is being spent on, what about my bins?

Anyone noticed the alarming abundance of non-working speed signs all over the place in Sunderland at the minute? There' s at least 3 at Hall Farm/Doxy (2 have never worked), one at the Barnes has been removed, another in Ivanhoe Crescent has been re-situated on the other side of the road.

They are perhaps needed here, seeing as though the 1286 is quite clearly sign posted national speed limit from both ways, but people insist on doing no more than 35

Yet they're being installed everywhere? The ones in Hall Farm have their own PV panel system but its never worked, not even in summer months.

You may not be going fast enough. The signs are usually set to activate at a certain level, they not designed to flash at everyone otherwise they would have no effect. Anyway if you knew the Highway Code like you should you’d know that a road with street lights is 30mph unless there are repeather signs stating otherwise. You don’t need the signs. The signs are just a tool to help reduce speeding and probably funded from central money not council tax.

Other than that your spot on.

You may not be going fast enough. The signs are usually set to activate at a certain level, they not designed to flash at everyone otherwise they would have no effect. Anyway if you knew the Highway Code like you should you’d know that a road with street lights is 30mph unless there are repeather signs stating otherwise. You don’t need the signs. The signs are just a tool to help reduce speeding and probably funded from central money not council tax.

Other than that your spot on.
Thanks for the lesson in road safety mate, however you are incorrect. The signs I'm talking about display your speed with a green smiley face if you are UNDER 30mph or a red frowny face if you are OVER 30mph. I fully understand that the road signs are not needed, which sort of reinforces my point.

Thanks for the lesson in road safety mate, however you are incorrect. The signs I'm talking about display your speed with a green smiley face if you are UNDER 30mph or a red frowny face if you are OVER 30mph. I fully understand that the road signs are not needed, which sort of reinforces my point.

Technology, after so long it starts to fail. These new ideas come out councils are encouraged to use them. Problem is they get a capital pot of money from the government to use for such things but when it comes to maintenance it has to be paid from the council coffers. This could be why they’ve not repaired them especially if they don’t feel they helping reduce speeds.

I think they only have a couple and keep moving them around various sites. There was one on QA road heading up towards the Barnes, the actual box was removed but the pole is still there.

The one on Essen way seems to have disappeared as well. It was a crock of shit as it only ever flashed up to a maximum of 36mph no matter how fast you flogged your motor past it

OP likes the pretty little smiley face lights to tell him he’s a good boy.

Back