Kitchen Knives Recommendations

Well, we have terrible knives currently. :lol: How much is a whetstone?
Cheap as chips really. Maybe there are better ones, but I just get the cheapo jobs.

I've seen someone make a knife out of tinfoil, and then sharpened it on a wetstone to make an amazing knife - won't last of course, but the point is they will sharpen any old thing.

Budget choice - Sabatier

Bit more money - Wusthof

Dont buy 10 knives - you dont need them 3 - 4 max will cover 95% of your needs

1 small paring
2 chefs knife - this will be your main knife
3 slicing knife but not essential
4 bread knife

2 further things

Knives need to be sharp - whetstones are best for sharpening but there is a skill in using them - don't practice on expensive knives
The ability to be sharpened and to retain an edge depends on the materials used in manufacture. Japanese knifes use a different angle to western knives as they are used more often on softer foods - veg and fish.

Dont buy a cleaver - your writing career may suffer as a result.
I pretty much only use a chinese chef knife which is pretty much a cleaver. Took a while to get used to but wouldn’t be without it now.

No idea what make my main knife is because I've had it for about 40 years. I had to araldite the handle back together last year after it lost a rivet, but I sharpen it every couple of weeks and it serves me fine and I use it most days. A simple whetstone (as opposed to a wet stone!) does the job.
Helping out in friends' kitchens I am appalled by how shitty some of their knives are; some would struggle to cut a carrot! Wobbly blades are another bugbear, being both dangerous and frustrating. My Mam didn't like sharp knives as she thought they were dangerous. Blunt ones are much more likely to hurt you, as you need to use excessive pressure and can easily end up getting gashed.

I pretty much only use a chinese chef knife which is pretty much a cleaver. Took a while to get used to but wouldn’t be without it now.
The chinese channel I follow on youtube is the same. Much more versatile by the looks of it.
My main knife is a bit of a hybrid, wider than a typical chef's knife.
A simple whetstone (as opposed to a wet stone!) does the job.

My Mam didn't like sharp knives as she thought they were dangerous. Blunt ones are much more likely to hurt you, as you need to use excessive pressure and can easily end up getting gashed.
You're absolutely right.

And on the 2nd too - my mam's knives are appalling, you have to hit them with a brick to cut through anything, but she's terrified of a sharp knife as they're dangerous - unlike the massive force you have to use with her's today.
What do you want, a tiny sharp nick, or a massive blunt chop down the bone!
Mental!

Last edited:
The chinese channel I follow on youtube is the same. Much more versatile by the looks of it.
My main knife is a bit of a hybrid, wider than a typical chef's knife.
What’s the chinese channel? Always looking for good new cooking channels. Especially chinese.

Got 3 global knives, very nice and massive upgrade from sabatier. I need to get all of them sharpened after lockdown is over, I use a bloke who comes to you to sharpen them, only charges a few quid a knife and they are razor sharp afterwards.
Global do a sharpener for their knives, works fine on ours and keeps the angles right.
Means you can sharpen when you like as well, for free 😉
Use this.. worth every penny

Ah didn’t see, aye same kind of thing as ours

Last edited:

Yep. We use a knife similar to this which I bought at Wing Hong in Newcastle over ten years ago. It's lethal when sharp. Bonus is it can also be used as a small tray to carry prepped food to the pan.
Chinese Chopper

I use this to sharpen it. Returns the edge to lethal very quickly! Sharpener.

Global do a sharpener for their knives, works fine on ours and keeps the angles right.
Means you can sharpen when you like as well, for free 😉

Ah didn’t see, aye same kind of thing as ours

Global do (or did) a diamond steel, a few seconds every couple of weeks.

Not a fan of electric or pull through sharpeners. Learning how to use whetstones, oilstones and pucks correctly is a great skill and knowledge to have and stops you ruining great blades.

Obviously people are gonna say what they have is the best. I have global knives. I just have four of them and then a mental expensive sushi knife that I won. I reckon you should just get 3 global knives. This would be my choice. You shouldn’t really need to buy any other knives Either to buy again or need any others.

Jusg remembered I have a fish filleting knife but I doubt you’re needing one of those.

Obviously people are gonna say what they have is the best. I have global knives. I just have four of them and then a mental expensive sushi knife that I won. I reckon you should just get 3 global knives. This would be my choice. You shouldn’t really need to buy any other knives Either to buy again or need any others.

Jusg remembered I have a fish filleting knife but I doubt you’re needing one of those.
I’ve got those. Superb knives.

Back