Kitchen Knives Recommendations

L

Lexingtongue

I've always enjoyed the odd bit of cooking but during this lockdown I've really started trying a lot of different stuff. One thing I've noticed since I started cooking a lot more is that my knives are pretty shit. Any recommendations for a brand that does good quality knives? Bear in mind that I don't have the skill or bank balance of the world's most famous chefs, so reasonably priced would be appreciated - I'm not paying a grand for a single knife because it's forged out of the alloys they used to send man to moon. ;)

Wusthof all day long for me. Lots of people rave about global but I find them to be too light, personal preference I suppose.

I've always enjoyed the odd bit of cooking but during this lockdown I've really started trying a lot of different stuff. One thing I've noticed since I started cooking a lot more is that my knives are pretty shit. Any recommendations for a brand that does good quality knives? Bear in mind that I don't have the skill or bank balance of the world's most famous chefs, so reasonably priced would be appreciated - I'm not paying a grand for a single knife because it's forged out of the alloys they used to send man to moon. ;)

I've got Robert Welch ones that are very good.

Have always used Sabatier and never had a problem with them. Do yourself a favour and don't bother getting a set of different knives e.g. filleting and boning knives. A couple of large chefs knives, a medium chefs knife and a paring knife will do you unless you fillet and de-bone regularly. You can always add to your collection with more specific knives later. Get a steel and a knife block.

Whichever brand you use, keep them sharp by using a steel and NEVER put them in the dish wahser. No matter what the manufacturers claims are, never dish wash them.

Last edited:
Have always used Sabatier.

Whichever brand you use, keep them sharp by using a steel and NEVER put them in the dish wahser. No matter what the manufacturers claims are, never dish wash them.
I agree you need to keep them sharp but using a traditional steel is a bit risky as you can fuck you’re knives. I use a ceramic wheel sharpener, it’s class and very easy.

The pro cook shop at Dalton Park has a canny selection. Picked up a chefs knife for £50 ish. They threw in a whetstone too for cheap.

I do prefer the kitchen devil sharpening tool though. Quick and gets it really sharp.

I agree you need to keep them sharp but using a traditional steel is a bit risky as you can fuck you’re knives. I use a ceramic wheel sharpener, it’s class and very easy.
Fair enough. I've been lucky in that respect as I was shown how to use it properly nearly 30 years ago now.

Budget choice - Sabatier

Bit more money - Wusthof

Dont buy 10 knives - you dont need them 3 - 4 max will cover 95% of your needs

1 small paring
2 chefs knife - this will be your main knife
3 slicing knife but not essential
4 bread knife

2 further things

Knives need to be sharp - whetstones are best for sharpening but there is a skill in using them - don't practice on expensive knives
The ability to be sharpened and to retain an edge depends on the materials used in manufacture. Japanese knifes use a different angle to western knives as they are used more often on softer foods - veg and fish.

Dont buy a cleaver - your writing career may suffer as a result.

Got 3 global knives, very nice and massive upgrade from sabatier. I need to get all of them sharpened after lockdown is over, I use a bloke who comes to you to sharpen them, only charges a few quid a knife and they are razor sharp afterwards.

Do you have knives now?

No matter how good your knives are, you have to know how to maintain them. As a basic, a steel (the pole thing you see chefs use before each session - although once a week is probably enough at home), and a wet stone set.

The wet stones come in different grits, like sandpaper. Low grit for cutting in a new edge, and higher for making that edge finer and sharper.

If you can't sharpen and maintain the knives you have, your new expensive ones will go the same way. If you do learn, you might decide to buy a new knife anyway, but you'll already know how to look after them, and won't make your newbie mistakes on them.

I have a cheap set of sheffield steel jobs off Amazon. About £60 for the set, but when I've sharpened them properly, they can pass the piece of paper test.

Got a set of Global.. 6 knives.. all get used but the largest one rarely.

Keep an eye out and they often do the block and knives for about 200 notes.

I use a wet stone wheel for sharpening. Takes 10 seconds and does wonders

You can get whetstone guides that give you the angle to sharpen but I would not recommend a beginner using a 200 quid knife on a whetstone .

Using a steel like you see the celeb chefs where they flash it over super fast is another way to bugga your edge. Slow and steady to begin with and concentrate on a consistent angle.
Got a set of Global.. 6 knives.. all get used but the largest one rarely.

Keep an eye out and they often do the block and knives for about 200 notes.

I use a wet stone wheel for sharpening. Takes 10 seconds and does wonders
Really - takes me a lot longer. good for you mate. It takes me 5 minutes just to soak my stones before even starting

Last edited:
I use global and dalstrong.
Got an electric sharpener which is brilliant but you need to get the right one as japanese knives are sharpened to a different angle than European knives

Do you have knives now?

No matter how good your knives are, you have to know how to maintain them. As a basic, a steel (the pole thing you see chefs use before each session - although once a week is probably enough at home), and a wet stone set.

The wet stones come in different grits, like sandpaper. Low grit for cutting in a new edge, and higher for making that edge finer and sharper.

If you can't sharpen and maintain the knives you have, your new expensive ones will go the same way. If you do learn, you might decide to buy a new knife anyway, but you'll already know how to look after them, and won't make your newbie mistakes on them.

I have a cheap set of sheffield steel jobs off Amazon. About £60 for the set, but when I've sharpened them properly, they can pass the piece of paper test.

We've got a pull through sharpener. Not sure I'd trust myself with a whetstone. :lol:

You can get whetstone guides that give you the angle to sharpen but I would not recommend a beginner using a 200 quid knife on a whetstone .

Using a steel like you see the celeb chefs where they flash it over super fast is another way to bugga your edge. Slow and steady to begin with and concentrate on a consistent angle.

Really - takes me a lot longer. good for you mate. It takes me 5 minutes just to soak my stones before even starting

Use this.. worth every penny

We've got a pull through sharpener. Not sure I'd trust myself with a whetstone. :lol:
Those are TERRIBLE. They ruin your edge. Been there, done that.

Wetstones are easy - its slow and steady, you can't really go wrong. Just watch a few youtube guides first and learn how to do it.

Those are TERRIBLE. They ruin your edge. Been there, done that.

Wetstones are easy - its slow and steady, you can't really go wrong. Just watch a few youtube guides first and learn how to do it.
Well, we have terrible knives currently. :lol: How much is a whetstone?

Back