Kielder Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Public

Striker
Any of you done this? It's too soon this year for me but looking to do a marathon as my next personal challenge and this one looks class, so thinking of aiming for 2018 run.

Never ran further than 13.1 miles, how did you manage the step up?

Any of you done this? It's too soon this year for me but looking to do a marathon as my next personal challenge and this one looks class, so thinking of aiming for 2018 run.

Is there not an app to help?

I'm doing the dark sky one in April, is meant to be a toughish course for a marathon assuming the daytime one follows the same path. Once you start looking there are a bunch of good local cheap marathons, North East Marathon Club organise a few worth checking their website. Also check North East Races if looking for a spring one as well as the Kielder one later next year.

My first race was a marathon so cant really help on the stepping up, train more miles and add to your long run the main thing, run it slower than you think and practice your nutrition well before the race be my main advice.

Yeah mate, I have run the Kielder Marathon (plus a few others :lol:). Its a very nice course and a very well organised event.

This will sound daft, but running a marathon isn't the difficult bit! Its the 12-16 weeks training you need to do before you get to the start line which is a pain. There are plenty of training plans which you can download online, but realistically you will be running at least 4 times a week (so it might be worth speaking to the wife first :lol:).

Like you I had only done HM's when I made the step up and tbh it wasn't that bad - although the key is to find a way of enjoying the weekly long run.

Yeah mate, I have run the Kielder Marathon (plus a few others :lol:). Its a very nice course and a very well organised event.

This will sound daft, but running a marathon isn't the difficult bit! Its the 12-16 weeks training you need to do before you get to the start line which is a pain. There are plenty of training plans which you can download online, but realistically you will be running at least 4 times a week (so it might be worth speaking to the wife first :lol:).

Like you I had only done HM's when I made the step up and tbh it wasn't that bad - although the key is to find a way of enjoying the weekly long run.
This, tho I based my training on 3 runs a week. Track, Tempo/hills and long run with the odd gym or swim. Kielder was a lovely run, unfortunately when I did it it was pea soup and couldn't see any scenery! Driving back with random cramp ha.

Reactions: D.A
I've biked it around Kielder and its beautiful, although it was only 27 miles, it was very hilly, the constant rolling terrain making it feel more like a 40mile ride !

Kielder isn't that hard. Ran a pb every time I've done it with little training. One time after about 8 pints.

My first marathon. Done it 3 times and loved each one. Not to bad just rolling terrain. Couple of canny climbs at about 22 mile. Just a bit of a chew to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back