Kids. Xboxes. Screen Time

I bought neither of my kids games-consoles,their friends had them,mine didn’t,different types of parenting.I just didn’t want my kids sitting in the house obsessing over clocking a game as soon as it came out.

Think it's a bit harsh meself, life is on a screen now, what else is he gonna do for that hour?

I would rather implement a once it's not freezing outside you spend your afternoons out of the house policy.
Read a book?
You're the biggest twat in the galaxy but since it's turned into a screaming match you need to double down and not allow it for 2 hours before bed.

Let my kid do what he wants, means there's more to take away when he fucks up, but he doesn't fuck up because he knows he has it sweet.
I don't get into screaming matches, not my style.
The fact he was ignoring is that, because I'm away tomorrow and we are missing the match he gets to watch the full game. Almost 2 hours past the usual cut off time

Last edited:
Just say "My house, my rules" and leave it at that and let him pull as many faces as he wants, but 'NEVER' back down. Kids need rules and routine from a parent, not a soft shite who they will manipulate. :) They soon cotton on eventually, stop pulling strops and learn to respect your decision, even though they don't like it. ;)

Read a book?

I don't get into screaming matches, not my style.
The fact he was ignoring is that, because I'm away tomorrow and we are missing the match he gets to watch the full game. Almost 2 hours past the usual cut off time
Is that better than letting him do something he enjoys?

I bought neither of my kids games-consoles,their friends had them,mine didn’t,different types of parenting.I just didn’t want my kids sitting in the house obsessing over clocking a game as soon as it came out.

Times have changed mate. They are sitting there with headsets on talking to their mates from school as they play matches on fifa or battle some level. I'd rather they were doing that out wandering the streets in this weather. That being said it should be limited. I would probably set a limit on online time, let them be responsible and decide when they want that to be. If they go out or have mates round and play on it then that doesn't come out of the time since it is more social.

Not being funny but why are you managing it carefully? Tell him to f***ing grow up. You are working away to put food on the table.
You need to go nuclear on the ungrateful sod.
Because he and I are incredibly close. I know that sounds daft but he and I have a father son relationship that I never had with my Dad. He out of everyone took me working away the hardest so that, plus he's new to high school, raging hormones etc I'm trying to give him a bit of leeway
Is that better than letting him do something he enjoys?
Kids don't know what is good for them. Staring at a computer screen right up until he goes to bed is proven to be bad for you. It is my responsibility as a parent to do what is best for him..............apart from him Supporting SAFC of course. That is a curse handed down through the generations

Last edited:
Because he and I are incredibly close. I know that sounds daft but he and I have a father son relationship that I never had with my Dad. He out of everyone took me working away the hardest so that, plus he's new to high school, raging hormones etc I'm trying to give him a bit of leeway

Kids don't know what is good for them. Staring at a computer screen right up until he goes to bed is proven to be bad for you. It is my responsibility as a parent to do what is best for him..............apart from him Supporting SAFC of course. That is a curse handed down through the generations
Exactly, he's an SAFC fan. Let the lad have a little joy in his life ffs

I see it all the time at work. Parents who let the kid get away with poor behaviour in order to try and stop them kicking off.
I wouldn't put up with shitty behaviour, I always just think give him the rope to hang himself.

My kid is nee bother tbh, goes to bed when he's supposed to without being told, gets himself up in the morning most days, has his homework done before we get home etc.

He's not had his devices taken away in a couple of years, he hasn't needed it.

56k dial up, pay per minute. 2 hours to download an mp3.
I had dial up like :cool:

I had no choice but to play the computer in the hour before bed because it took that long from when I got in to load a f***ing game up.
Earned £80 a week, mam took £40.
f***ing hell.

1. Your internet bill was lethal for back then
2. Your mother was harsh as fuck like

Last edited:
He is your son. You do what you think is best.
Just say "My house, my rules" and leave it at that and let him pull as many faces as he wants, but 'NEVER' back down. Kids need rules and routine from a parent, not a soft shite who they will manipulate. :) They soon cotton on eventually, stop pulling strops and learn to respect your decision, even though they don't like it. ;)
For a soppy get that is top advice.

Last edited:
I had dial up like :cool:

I had no choice but to play the computer in the hour before bed because it took that long from when I got in to load a f***ing game up.

f***ing hell.

1. Your internet bill was lethal for back then
2. Your mother was harsh as fuck like
I think it was about a penny a minute, £40 would have been about 2 hours a day.

She refused to get AOL (£15 a month for all you could eat 56k) for reasons I could never understand, the rationale I was privvy to was "when you move out do what you want".:rolleyes:

I think it was about a penny a minute, £40 would have been about 2 hours a day.

She refused to get AOL (£15 a month for all you could eat 56k) for reasons I could never understand, the rationale I was privvy to was "when you move out do what you want".:rolleyes:
3. Your mar's an idiot :lol:

Aye that's what I remember my mam paying, about 10-15 quid

Never mind mate, you're never getting that coin back!

Last edited:

Back